No announcement yet.

The McNabb benching...right or wrong??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's no arguing with results. The whole team played better once Reid started benching people, and I think McNabb's benching did as much to motivate the rest of the team as it did to motivate Donovan. #5 is PISSED right now and he's doing his best to shove it in our face.

Which is awesome.

However, I have a feeling that, after seeing the 129th infuriating Donovan quote in the Inky and the 277th Donovan-vs-the-Eagles feature on Sportscenter this offseason, I'll find myself wishing it never happened.

Comment

Rossovich, yes, it still owuld have been the right move. The team and Donovan needed a kick in the pants. Donovan, Reggie Brown, and Omar all got kicked. It was based on performance and holding people accountable. That's never a mistake, IMO.

And I don't care if Donovan is pissed or not. I doubt he cares about MY feelings. Just play well and help to win us games.
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I will never agree with throwing away a game, especially in the middle of a tight playoff race. Only down a few points and fat man throws in the towel along with his kid college QB. A lot of good that did! You guys can all love quitting in a fight but I would still have prefered to have Donnie in that game. All the other questions could have been handled differently if needed. Like this was the first time a team or a star player ever had two down games in a row. Right!

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
          I just want to get the board's perspective on this. As these playoffs progress, it continues and WILL continue to be a topic of much media and public speculation. Did Andy do the right thing there? THis is my perspactive:

Yes. Had to do it. Right call. Good result.
          Whether you are a McNabb backer or not, and I am off and on with that I must admit, the one thing you could surely say about Donovan was he did a great job of taking care of the ball and not turning it over. Donovan seems to feel wronged by the benching, but I say that no matter how well he was playing otherwise (and he wasn't playing well) when you are turning the ball over once a quarter, you CAN'T WIN. Andy did what he had to do.

Donovan never mentions it, but he has to realize the real reason for the benching. It was the turnovers. The benching sent a message not only to him, but to the rest of the team as he is the most visible player, that you can't make mistakes, and everyone has to do their part. I think the team responded, and it sent us on this little run we are on. It refocused everyone, not just him, and raised everyone's accountability.

I support the move. What say you all?
          Maybe...but in a weird way. And here's why: I think Reid was just shit-lucky. If Kolb had played well in that 2nd half, I think the plan would have been for Kolb to start getting his feet wet, and the McNabb era would have come to a close. I'm not sure the benching was to motivate anyone - even if that might have been what happened. Then Kolb came out looking like he was completely unprepared to play, and with a short week, McNabb was back in there and the rest is history.

So was it motivation, or did just almost see the start of the Kolb era? I remember I was on this board when it happened and watching the game day thread. I guarantee that there was NO ONE who said, "Oh, this is just to motivate the team for an unlikely push for the play-offs!" No, we all thought the season was over, and I'd have to think so did the Eagles.

So why do we now - only with the luxury of hindsight - think that it was a motivational move?

Comment

Originally posted by IMK View Post
            There's no arguing with results. The whole team played better once Reid started benching people, and I think McNabb's benching did as much to motivate the rest of the team as it did to motivate Donovan. #5 is PISSED right now and he's doing his best to shove it in our face.

Which is awesome.

However, I have a feeling that, after seeing the 129th infuriating Donovan quote in the Inky and the 277th Donovan-vs-the-Eagles feature on Sportscenter this offseason, I'll find myself wishing it never happened.
            If Reid made the move to motivate then he truly is a genius because there wasn't a person in this town that didn't think the season was over at that point, and that we were seeing a glimpse of the dawn of the Kevin Kolb era.

The more I think about the more I'm convinced that it was just luck the way things turned out. The RESULT may have been motivation, but I still say the move was made to begin the Kevin Kolb era. Kolb looked like crap, and with only 4 days to prepare Kolb for the next game, McNabb was out there just to hold the spot warm, while Kolb would be given more time to prepare to start.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
              I just want to get the board's perspective on this. As these playoffs progress, it continues and WILL continue to be a topic of much media and public speculation. Did Andy do the right thing there?
              He did the right thing, mainly because of the rash of turnovers -- you just can't have that. I'm not sure it was the primary cause of the improved play after that though. Maybe the playcalling was so predictable that McNabb just started to force things to find something that would work... and maybe the somewhat changed approach since has brought things back into manageable territory for him.

I just think the personnel changes (while seemingly minor) and the change in playcalling have had the most effect. Finally "putting the team in a position to win" instead of heaping more responsibility all on Donovan.

Comment

I 100% support the benching. These guys get paid ungodly amounts of money and when they are not performing they need to be held accountable.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                  Maybe...but in a weird way. And here's why: I think Reid was just shit-lucky. If Kolb had played well in that 2nd half, I think the plan would have been for Kolb to start getting his feet wet, and the McNabb era would have come to a close. I'm not sure the benching was to motivate anyone - even if that might have been what happened. Then Kolb came out looking like he was completely unprepared to play, and with a short week, McNabb was back in there and the rest is history.

So was it motivation, or did just almost see the start of the Kolb era? I remember I was on this board when it happened and watching the game day thread. I guarantee that there was NO ONE who said, "Oh, this is just to motivate the team for an unlikely push for the play-offs!" No, we all thought the season was over, and I'd have to think so did the Eagles.

So why do we now - only with the luxury of hindsight - think that it was a motivational move?
                  Call it motivational or whatever, as I said he "had to" do it. I'm not trying to get into Reid's mind here, just agree or disagree with the move. And whether he was going to stay with Kolb for a bit, or go back to Donnie, I think sitting down a stone cold and error-filled McNabb was the right thing to do.

I can't think of a season where we have seen more change (And Reid confirmed this in his PC) in starter positions, and roster shuffles. LJ, Reggie, Lito, Donovan, Omar....all performace related, along with some changes due to injuries. THe message Andy has been sending this season thru the whole team is that no one is safe, your roster position is not secure. So when I look at the big pictiure, I think a lot of it was motivational decisions by Andy, but primarily it is all about production. Produce or get off the field.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

"THe message Andy has been sending this season thru the whole team is that no one is safe, your roster position is not secure. So when I look at the big pictiure, I think a lot of it was motivational decisions by Andy, but primarily it is all about production. Produce or get off the field."

Isn't that how it should be? Produce or get off the field. Personally, I don't think any of them are made at the time for motivation as much as they are production oriented.
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post

You know, it's hard to argue with this. The truth is, if Tampa had won in the last week of the season, and we'd finished a 1/2 game out of the playoffs ... maybe it would have been the wrong move. But, that was his worst 2 game stretch in a long time and I didn't have any confidence he'd turn it around in the 2nd half of the Ravens game. We did get lucky.

As for the stuff about why other players don't get benched, we did see Reggie Brown, LJ, and I think even Todd Herremans at one point get their respective benchings. I don't think Runyan has ever played that badly to warrant a benching, and I'm sure there are times when Westy's thinking, "hey, you can give Correll a few carries here and there." Not sure why Reid kept going to Westy when he was clearly less than 100% (and by a good amount).
                      Last edited by fly; 01-11-2009, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X