• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who IS this guy?

New Position No Problem For Cole

May 28, 2006
    By ZACH BERMAN

Let's start with the basics of the center position: It's the heart of the offensive line - the guards and tackles respond to the center's call. He's the first person to touch the ball on offense, and a misstep or even a slight hiccup could disrupt the entire play. The position requires a unique skill set that combines blocking and brains with size and speed.
    So naturally Nick Cole is playing center.

One problem, though ... He's never played it before.

Huh???

C Nick Cole
    The Eagles are shifting Cole, who played tackle and guard at New Mexico State, to center. While the move might seem unconventional, Cole isn't complaining about it. He's a rookie free agent, after all, and in no position to make demands.

"They told me they wanted me to play center," Cole said.

He was a tough sell. His response?

"OK, I'll play center," he said, masked with a loud laugh that could be heard throughout the locker room. He speaks with a southwestern drawl, a small-town Oklahoman endearing himself to a big-city football team. And he has.

Because of that one caveat to the position switch ... He's pretty good.

Cole has stood out in rookie camp, even making second-round pick Winston Justice, who's not exactly the most outspoken offensive lineman, praise his teammate without any prompting. It's a position short on depth and ripe with opportunity. The starting job, split between Jamaal Jackson and Hank Fraley last season, appears to be wide open. And Cole, is trying to prove his worth.

"I can move, man. I got good feet," Cole said. "I have strength, power."

And he's big. Real big. Cole's 350 pounds, a lot to carry on his 6-foot frame. He said he's going to drop 15 pounds, but even at his current weight, those nimble feet make him stand out.

Football isn't won with pure size and speed, though. Fundamentals and headiness are important, especially at a position like center that other positions depend on. It's why Cole is adjusting to the intricate parts of the position that aren't often discussed outside of practice and film rooms because it's football language, which can sometimes read like ancient code.

He's working on playing in a three-point stance, which is used when snapping, rather than a two-point stance. He's learning how to decipher snap counts, which are shouted differently by the Eagles' different quarterbacks. It's not like a receiver unveiling a new touchdown dance or a defensive end bragging about a sack prediction, but it's the type of unheralded adjustments that win football games.

"I need to know the whole offense, what everyone's doing on the whole line," Cole said. "I'm pretty much the quarterback of the line, and I have to know more than everyone else."

At New Mexico State, Cole became a skilled pass-blocker in head coach Hal Mumme's offense, which made Tim Couch the No. 1 overall pick in 1999 and threw more than 60 percent of the time in 2005. Cole recognizes run blocking is different and credits Eagles offensive line coach Juan Castillo for breaking the mechanics down to him. While the Eagles are known as a passing offense, head coach Andy Reid has pledged to run more than he did last season.

And that's what this camp has been to Cole. Back to the basics, whether it's the fundamentals of run blocking or learning the nuances of the center position. He's trying to soak up the tutelage and continue his growth in June's mini-camp and training camp starting in July. Then he has the preseason to show he can play center in live situations.

"I'm getting better and better at it," Cole said. "It was a big transition, but I just got to keep moving."

http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Anybody got some intel on this fella? Just a camp body or is this someone who might actually challenge Fraley?
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Damn, I haven't paid much attention to the FA class this year so far, but this appears to be a nice story.

The positive outlook and competition on this OL just grows and grows!

Comment

Let's hope he can pick it up and become the anchor we need at center. At 350 or even 335 he's going to be a pile to try to move! Hank, thanks for the last few years, don't let the door hit you on the way out!
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
        X