No announcement yet.

Herremans' challenge: Switching to guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have total faith in Juan Castillo. It may be an adjustment for Herremans to move to guard, but if Castillo and Co. feel he can do it, I'm not going to sweat it.

They did the same thing with Welbourne, and had no problems. Herremans seems to be a similar player.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
      I have total faith in Juan Castillo. It may be an adjustment for Herremans to move to guard, but if Castillo and Co. feel he can do it, I'm not going to sweat it.

They did the same thing with Welbourne, and had no problems. Herremans seems to be a similar player.
      Speaking of Welbourne, there were some questions that I don't think I ever saw answered about his exile from this place. He ran himself out of town by threatening "to come out with the truth about this place if he wasn't traded or released" during the offseason before he was traded. He seemed happy enough prior to that, but apparently not. Does anyone remember what it was that had him so upset and what "the truth" was that he said he would tell everyone if he wasn't traded? I remember him coming off as a complete a-hole.

Comment

Chris, I don't remember any of that. My recollection is that it was a contract issue. He wanted more money, and went to the media with it.

But, my memory is foggy at best. You could easily be right.

Comment

I always thought that the unspoken but clear reason for Welbourne's tiff with Andy was that he was on steroids and Reid doesn't accept that. He got nailed the next year I believe.

Comment

Speaking of Guards, there is a piece on Scott Young on PE.com right now. Totally forgot about this guy. Gonna be some heavy (pun intended competition on the OL this camp...

YOUNG: WHAT A DIFFERENCE ...
            Offensive guard Scott Young is a completely different player than he was a year ago. He knows it. A fifth-round draft pick last year, Young spent the year with the Eagles, first on the practice squad and then for the final six weeks of the season on the active roster.

Although Young was inactive for all six games, he learned valuable lessons.

OG Scott Young watched and learned last season
            Now he's back to push for playing time at either guard position. And Young's development, plus the addition of Max Jean-Gilles and the move of Todd Herremans to left guard, gives the Eagles some great depth -- on paper - at the position.

Shawn Andrews was a Pro Bowl alternate last year, his first as a full-time starter. He has already shed 35 pounds and is primed for big things. So ...

If Herremans develops and if Jean-Gilles becomes a player and if Young blossoms ...

Hey, all Young can do is worry about himself, and right now he thinks he's made the right strides from last year to now.

"There is so much to learn about the offense, so I worked hard last year to kind of figure everything out," said Young. "There is a lot of technique to understand. Footwork, hands, assignments, all of that stuff. It takes time.

"So even though I wasn't playing, I was learning. Just being around the guys and sitting in on meetings, working with Coach (Juan) Castillo, I could feel myself becoming more and more comfortable.

"I think I'm more able right now to go out and play my game. That's the big difference. I'm playing now. I know what I'm supposed to do."

Young is a player to watch in the spring and summer. He was described by some draftniks as a "steal" in last year's fifth round. We'll find out in training camp what kind of chance he has to deliver on that billing.
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I thought Young had the potential to move to center. With such ?'s surrounding the position and depth at the other spots, why isn't he considered for it now?

Comment

I just think it's great that we look like we'll have quality depth and great competition along the Oline. We may have to let a talented young guy go in a numbers crunch, but it's a nice problem to have.
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Gotta agree here---- now I wish I had the same confidence level in David Culley!

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal

Speaking of Welbourne, there were some questions that I don't think I ever saw answered about his exile from this place. He ran himself out of town by threatening "to come out with the truth about this place if he wasn't traded or released" during the offseason before he was traded. He seemed happy enough prior to that, but apparently not. Does anyone remember what it was that had him so upset and what "the truth" was that he said he would tell everyone if he wasn't traded? I remember him coming off as a complete a-hole.
                    I think Welbourn began to emerge quite a bit in 2003. I remember Paul Maguire calling him the Eagles' best offensive lineman, for what his opinion is worth. Anyway, John looked at his contract and saw that he was locked in for several more years at a reasonable salary, but not a big one (I think it was in the 2mil/year range for maybe four more years) He wanted a new contract and realized the only way he could get one would be to leave the Eagles, and the only way to do that was to personally attack Andy. Over and over and over. He was a world-class asshole for weeks, almost TO-level. Honestly. Andy's hands were tied in my opinion, and even if they weren't we all know he's got a short fuse for disrespect, so Welbourn was finally traded on draft day. I remember shortly after being traded he was on WIP and sort of shrugged off all the crap he said, saying it was just business and he had no hard feelings with the FO. That's when I lost what little respect I had left for John.

It's worth noting that Welbourn didn't get a new contract from KC and lost his starting job after one year, so I doubt that payday will be forthcoming. Of course, with the steroid suspension last year, who knows how that might have played into things...

Comment

I can't believe Young turned down an offer from the JETS last season to start the last month to stay on our PS?!
                      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                      Playoff Appearances:
                      NFC Title Games:
                      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
                        I can't believe Young turned down an offer from the JETS last season to start the last month to stay on our PS?!
                        WHAT? Did this happen?

Wait a minute - according to that article, Young was on the Eagles' active roster the last six weeks of the season, not the PS. Where did this Jets thing come from?

Comment

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/14702557.htm

----

Young hopes loyalty countsBy Marc Narducci
                          Inquirer Staff Writer
                          Scott Young made a decision last season, one he hopes will earn him a permanent spot on the Eagles' roster.

A few days after the Eagles' eighth game last season, the New York Jets contacted Young's agent, Jeff Courtney, and said the team was interested in adding the guard to its 53-man roster.

At the time, Young was on the Eagles' practice squad.

The Jets indicated that he could see playing time before the end of the season, but Young decided to stay with the Eagles.

Young talked about the decision with many people, including Eagles head coach Andy Reid, another former Brigham Young player.

"I agreed with Coach Reid that I didn't think I was ready to go in and start with the Jets," Young said yesterday after a morning working by rookies and selected players at the NovaCare Complex.

When asked if he tried to persuade Young to go to the Jets, Courtney laughed and said, "Let's just say we talked about the pros and cons of everything."

The agent added that in his conversations with the Eagles, "They expressed some long-term interest in Scott."

Still, Young admits that he received a lot of curious looks from his friends when he told them of his decision.

"A lot of people thought I was crazy, but I had a gut feeling," he said. "All my instincts said to stay and that I was working for the best coach around."

He was referring to Juan Castillo, the Eagles' offensive line coach.

The decision by Young did not look so crazy when he was moved up to the active roster for the final six games after Tra Thomas suffered a season-ending back injury.

Young was inactive for those games, but he gained valuable experience with the Eagles, playing a relatively new position. He was a defensive tackle/nose tackle in two seasons of junior college football and in his junior year at BYU. He redshirted the next year and then switched to the offensive line as a senior in 2004.

Young was a fifth-round draft choice, the 172d overall pick in the 2005 draft. What he lacks in experience, the 6-foot-4, 312-pound Young makes up for in size, strength and athletic ability. At the NFL Scouting Combine in 2005, he bench-pressed 225 pounds 43 times, just two shy of the Combine record. At BYU, he once bench-pressed 535 pounds.

Young says he feels more comfortable, having a year to digest the Eagles' system while refining his technique as a guard. But earning a roster spot will be no easy task.

He is listed as the third right guard behind starter Shawn Andrews and Adrien Clarke. At left guard, Todd Herremans is listed first, followed by Clarke and rookie Max Jean-Gilles.

Young said he is also learning the left guard spot.

"As long as I stay healthy, I can play football and need to learn from the best," Young said. "There is no better place to be than here."
                          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                          Playoff Appearances:
                          NFC Title Games:
                          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Well to say he turned down a starting job is a little bit of a stretch...

"The Jets indicated that he could see playing time before the end of the season, but Young decided to stay with the Eagles. "

Seeing some playing time and starting are a bit different.

But I understand the point that is he could have gotten some experience and maybe given himself a better shot for this year.

Comment

Nice article, Biggie.

Wow!

"A lot of people thought I was crazy, but I had a gut feeling," he said. "All my instincts said to stay and that I was working for the best coach around."

He was referring to Juan Castillo, the Eagles' offensive line coach.

What a gem we have in this guy.

Comment

"I agreed with Coach Reid that I didn't think I was ready to go in and start with the Jets," Young said yesterday after a morning working by rookies and selected players at the NovaCare Complex.

- Sounds like he was told by the JETS that he would get some starting looks over the last month and that Reid and he didn't think he was ready for that.
                                Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                                Playoff Appearances:
                                NFC Title Games:
                                Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Working...
                                X