No announcement yet.

Defense - where to do from here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that picket line failed on third and long much too often for all of us but injuries were the main problem this year and how much worse it got when McLeod got hurt. It was no coincidence how much the defense got better when Jernigan came back as the pass rush improved immeasurably. As for Schwartz, Brandon Marshall was again on Inside the NFL last night and said that Schwartz was the best DC in the NFL and he hated playing against him because you never knew what he was going to do so I would say that much of his conservative tag goes out the window. There are a lot of things that go on in the defensive backfield that we as fans don't notice. Many times the db in the picture isn't even the player responsible for covering the receiver who caught the ball and somebody else made the mistake. I'm glad that he's here and hope that he stays for a long time!

As for the players, they left it all on the field Sunday as they should have. I know that everyone else agrees with that. If Alshon only didn't make the mistake.......shit happens I guess. Let's face it, if it weren't for a missed fg against Chicago we never would have gone to New Orleans in the first place and if New Orleans kicker made his the game was over right then. We had some good luck there which we all know is needed in a SB run. We were lucky as hell just to make them when Minnesota choked. Then again who knows how much our offense would have been better if our horse Ajayi didn't go down? Despite all of this it still hurts to lose, really hurts. Proud of my team yes but losing still stinks!
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
      I agree here in a lot of ways---yet in anger and emotion, I have jumped on the anti Schwartz bandwagon a few times myself.

BUT---- While this article makes some very valid points it does also miss on a couple of points also.

1. This defense while it was doing a pretty good job OF LATE in holding points down --- it did not give our O nearly as many chances (plays) because they could not get off the field and allowing the other O to grind out long drives. I hear the only thing that matters guys yelling --"Yeah but the only thing that matters is points allowed........."-- but that just isn't true!!!!

2. The eye test shows that this teams D scheme with 3rd and longs sucked as way toooo many times did the D do a great job on 1st and 2nd only to seem to be soft on 3rd down.

3. Early in the year the tackling was terrible on this team.... Terrible! That is on coaching and scheme. And we do play a whole year not just half.

4. How many games was the opposing QB allowed to have time to eat his lunch in the pocket cause "we"ONLY" bring 4?

I could go on-- but the drift is, as I have claimed all year long---- there is plenty of blame to go around on this team---- and plenty of accolades to be given out also. IMM, bigger than negatives about coaches, players, yes and even execution this year was the -------injuries.

Luck is a very big part of winning in the NFL. Yes talent, organization, coaches, schemes and even execution---- and unless the medical staff and trainers are pure quacks---- injuries are as big a part in winning as the rest of the factors. Ask the Redskins how they fared after the injury bug bit them? When was the last time Drew Brees was out for the better parts of 2 seasons? Tom Brady?

Yup the Defense deserves some of those accolades--- and some of the criticism! As does the O and as does the ST and as does the coaching!

That is why IMM Football, even in it's watered down version, is still the most ultimate team sport we follow. I don't pretend to know more about football, and x's and O's than the football lifers do(and if you do , you are just being totally irrational)--- so who am I to tell them what to change of do different--- all I can do is critique the final product the results.

Do I want Schwartz fired? Only if Doug and the organization think so. My guess is he will be here next year and I am ok with that. I just hope he realizes that there are deficiencies in his scheme that need to be addressed.

I'll say it again I was very very proud to claim this team as mine---- after observing the "rise " from the dead attitude and guts this team showed me.

This is the post of the day.

Points do mean something but if a team goes on a 8 minute drive to score a TD a 5 minute drive to get a field goal and an 11.5 minute third quarter drive to get a TD. They really don't need to score more than 20 points. The Saints used their offense to play defense and it worked.

Now on Sunday the offense was just as much to blame as the defense but I will say this, the eye test, what MD said above is what I am seeing with the defense. Last year we won some games despite the defense (Super Bowl included). This year we lost some games because of the style.

I think if Schwartz was to be a little more aggressive this defense would be the top 5 defense in the league. Any QB can sit back and rip up a soft zone. The best defenses in this league switch it up, disguise it well. That is what I want from this defense. Be aggressive.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
        This is the post of the day.

Points do mean something but if a team goes on a 8 minute drive to score a TD a 5 minute drive to get a field goal and an 11.5 minute third quarter drive to get a TD. They really don't need to score more than 20 points. The Saints used their offense to play defense and it worked.

Now on Sunday the offense was just as much to blame as the defense but I will say this, the eye test, what MD said above is what I am seeing with the defense. Last year we won some games despite the defense (Super Bowl included). This year we lost some games because of the style.

I think if Schwartz was to be a little more aggressive this defense would be the top 5 defense in the league. Any QB can sit back and rip up a soft zone. The best defenses in this league switch it up, disguise it well. That is what I want from this defense. Be aggressive.
        I wish he would use more exotic blitzes. Heck, he turned them all loose on one play and sacked Brees before he had a chance and then never used it again. Why not, I don't get it?

And MD are you still thinking that time of possession is meaningless? I see that you've come around since the Chip era.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          I wish he would use more exotic blitzes. Heck, he turned them all loose on one play and sacked Brees before he had a chance and then never used it again. Why not, I don't get it?

And MD are you still thinking that time of possession is meaningless? I see that you've come around since the Chip era.
          No, no, no, no....... top isn’t the big thing when it comes to tiring a D out ... the number of plays is. Still is. Leaving the other guy on the field has to do with not giving your O enough chances. # of plays is still the more important stat.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
            No, no, no, no....... top isn’t the big thing when it comes to tiring a D out ... the number of plays is. Still is. Leaving the other guy on the field has to do with not giving your O enough chances. # of plays is still the more important stat.
            I think that you are kind of saying the same thing about TOP except it doesn't necessarily depend on statistical time but more actual real time. Like incomplete passes stop the clock. You really are talking about real time vs game time. I think that's what you're saying anyway and I get that. Long drives kill a defense, especially when you go 3 and out after one.

Comment

TOP is “generally” a result having more plays run... but the tiredness comes only from the number of plays run against you. 2 different things. A D lineman gets tired(performs less well) the more plays he exerts energy rushing an O Line..... not by standing out there more minutes.

Comment

Working...
              X