Mike Patterson extended - 7 years, 32 MIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
    Huh? He played in all 16 games and was part of the normal Eagles rotation at DT...

How do you go from that to he got "benched quite a bit last year because he got steamrolled"?

Where is your evidence for this claim?
    I've got eyes. He got pulled during quite a few rotations last year. what's the big deal about being a starter on this defense anyway? It's pretty damned mediocre.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess
      Mack Strong is a FA this offseason? It is my belief that he would retire rather than play somewhere other than Seattle.
      This past summer, they could have spent some of that cap space on him. That's what this deal is all about, apportioning as much of Patterson's deal to this year as possible.

Who know's. Maybe they have did his deal this year because they are eyeballing some possibilities for next spring FA market and they didn't what the conflict over signing their own guys vs. signing FAs.
      www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

But toga, Patterson was NOT a pressing issue.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
          Neither was McNabb, Lito, Brown, Andrews, Walker, Jackson, Johnson et al....

Who cares? They are talented players who are Eagles for a good long time for reasonable money...
          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

How many of those players were extended halfway thru their second season? And the first 4 you named are Pro Bowl calibre players. That kinda makes a difference too.
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Did Patterson have voidable years in his original deal? If so, maybe that is why the FO pulled the trigger on this deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess
                Did Patterson have voidable years in his original deal? If so, maybe that is why the FO pulled the trigger on this deal.
                Doubtful, the Eagles wouldn't do voidable years for the 31st overall pick i don't think.

Comment

I agree. I'm just trying to give the FO the benefit of the doubt.
                  www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Who cares? They are talented players who are Eagles for a good long time for reasonable money...
                    I haven't seen that much talent yet. The FO must which is what counts.
                    www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by saratoga

I haven't seen that much talent yet. The FO must which is what counts.
                      I hear ya, Saratoga...it is certainly not without risk or a gaurantee, but then nothing is...

He led the DL in tackles as a rookie and had 3.5 sacks...

He has started all 8 games so far this year, has a good amount of tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries and a TD...

I'd say that is a good start and, like you say, the organization must see room for even greater production...
                      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Not sure why anybody is surprised or shocked or dismayed at this event.

Maybe a year or so early but it is exactly what they do.

That's the beauty of the NFL, teams can structure things so as to protect themselves, depending on their wants. If Patterson fails they walk away, and it doesn't hurt nearly as much as if they sign him 3 years from now at twice the cost and he then blows out his acl. There are risks no matter how you do it, this is the road the Eagles have chosen to drive for years now,, this one is maybe a year early but so what,,, it accomplishes the same thing.

Funny I sit back and read the same agendas being forwarded and exaggerated.

He's too small, it's a bad deal........ (huh, I think we can get past this now)

32 million, how can they give him 32 million hell they only gave Westy 25 mill.....(they didn't give him 32 million only a contract that MIGHT be worth 32 million, but never let the facts interfere with a good take.)

They had cap space and dollars to use-- they went through their progressions and the agreement wheel stopped here.. their might be others, but IMO the bottom line is they probably gave the M Lewis contract to M Patterson.

Just another part of the plan, nothing to get bent out of shape about.

Comment

Working...
                        X