Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Philly, when the ship starts to sink....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely, Pete...even though I try hard to stay optimistic about everything in life, including the Eagles, and keep things in perspective as I noted...of course there are times when I get really upset, angry or really happy and excited about them...

It does take effort to follow them, it does take energy, it does take passion...but I see nothing wrong with being upset and taking some time away or waiting until they win you back....

The only caveat I would offer is my enjoyment is not exclusive to them winning....many have heard me say that the SB is not the ultimate for me or that winning is always the end goal as an Eagle fans....do I ache for that? Sure...but to hang all of my emotions and connection to the Eagles just to that achievement would be a setup IMO...I get alot of enjoyment just watching the games and doing it with friends like EB and his family do...it becomes more than winning IMO; it becomes a way of enjoying life and a common experience...
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Thought and VFK talked about football as entertainment. Games like we saw on Sunday are lousy entertainment. It was a waste of everybodies time and, for those who bought tickets, their hard earned $$$.

Games like that tick me off more than just losing a hard fought game between two equal teams. Example: SB 39, while disappointing and maddening, was at least entertaining. The game against Jax was anything but.
      www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

on some emotional level it's probably easier to play the game than watch it. We, well a lot of us, watch it cause when we were 10 we were out in the backyard throwing a ball up in the air, catching it with the daring of Tommy McDonald and winning championships in our own minds. Well we couldn't grow up to be players for one reason or other...I wanted to be the QB of Penn State after Richie Lucas, but I was only 5'2"" in 10th grade and soon switched focus to announcing and writing columns.

When the game's done as an athlete. Shake the other guys hand, shower dress and go home to your life. If you put it all out there, you actually felt good if you won or lost...at least a couple hours after the game.

So each week we pin our hopes and dreams on other guys real guys...ironic how big "fantasy football" is. Some of us get real mad when those other guys don't make a play, or worse yet CHOKE. When the bubble bursts these other guys are just like us, but they were bigger and faster and got to actually play, and just like us, they have good days and bad. And the ball bounces funny some days. And some guy makes an incredible play AGAINST YOU. Some days you bounce off runners, other days you stop a guy in his tracks. Some days you drop passes, and thinking about it, you drop some more.

The key is to put the game in a perspective when its over. A three hour movie with suspense, thrills and spills, heroic moments, pitfalls. The good guy sometimes wins. Sometimes loses. Great movies have sad endings sometime. And think. That could be you in that movie.

At age 60, at least I know each week that there's only two things that can happen in a football game, and one of them is a loss, and with a good team...a tough loss. Hold on tight. Flash Gordon always got out of trouble. I'm not sure the Eagles can.
        Sonny J

Comment

Originally posted by saratoga
          Thought and VFK talked about football as entertainment. Games like we saw on Sunday are lousy entertainment. It was a waste of everybodies time and, for those who bought tickets, their hard earned $$$.

Games like that tick me off more than just losing a hard fought game between two equal teams. Example: SB 39, while disappointing and maddening, was at least entertaining. The game against Jax was anything but.
          I didn't say anything about it always being good or positive entertainment! LMAO!!

But then you do have the power to turn the TV off and go have fun...or leave the stadium and have fun...I have never been to the Linc or attended an Eagles game since I was 10 with my father...it is too expensive and a hassle IMO...
          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

j-bird and I try to get up to a game once a year. This year, it's Ten. I'm really psyched, because it's my first trip to the linc. We've got a hotel room booked right by the stadium. Screw trying to drive home. We're gonna hit Tony Lukes for a wiz widdout after the game.

And get this...his brother hooked us up with some premo ticks. Major Corporation's skybox on the fifty yard line. Comped. No $hit. Catered. Open Bar. The whole nine yards.

It's on.

I figure I might just owe the man one for this. It's gonna be killer.

Oh, and I try to remain optimistic. But at the same time, I try to be realistic. You just gotta take the lows in stride.

Comment

Gotta laugh at this one.... If it isn't entertainment just what is it?????

Some religious experience?

Some life or death issue?

More serious than family, health, jobs, friends, financial security?

And, strictly IMO, if you don't/can't/won't see it as entertainment, you may be in need of more help then a message board can provide.

I have been a Philly sports fan for well over 50 years, (all 4 major teams) even when it became hard when I moved away 30+ years ago.........I have suffered through more pain and disappointment than almost any of you have( Anybody older than 58 excepted)--- and yet I can remain optimistic---- because it is entertainment, it is a diversion, it doesn't have a profound affect on me or my families daily lives or impact our well being or our financial security.

You pay money to go to a movie, you see a bad one occasionally, does that stop you from going back?, Of course not, because you go to be entertained, to take your mind somewhere else, to escape reality for a bit. You pay money to take up hobbies, you take hobbies seriously, golf is a great one.... yet it's a no win game, there is no SB for you, you play most of the time in frustration, it's fruitless in most cases----- but you keep coming back. And you think it will get better because if you think it won't get better,,, you'll just stop, to ease the pain, so you remain optimistic.

Yet many can't do that with our sports teams.

So I choose to be more optimistic --- because frankly I can't understand why anybody would want to be pessimistic/depressed about their entertainment. Not my mindset. I don't see the point. Don't see the logic.

Doesn't mean that a game like the Jax doesn't piss me off, or give me a reason to doubt or want to pooint the finger of blame-- becuase I am emotionally involved, emotionally invested-- but perspective needs to be kept.

There is a middle to every road!!!!

And now, somehow, that makes me "indifferent"???????????????????

I've heard it all now!

Comment

It's easier if you just say it. We are a mediocere team. And we suck some time. We can win any game and we can lose any game. I'll tell you one thing though, Idon't care how we get to the playoffs anymore just get there.
                The difficult thing this year for me is that I was really convinced that last year was a total aberation. Today's NFL teams, even the good ones have to be hitting on all eight cylinders all the time or they go mediocre pretty quick. That's what it seems like we're just not clicking

Yet I am optimistic that we will win each game.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                  j-bird and I try to get up to a game once a year. This year, it's Ten. I'm really psyched, because it's my first trip to the linc. We've got a hotel room booked right by the stadium. Screw trying to drive home. We're gonna hit Tony Lukes for a wiz widdout after the game.

And get this...his brother hooked us up with some premo ticks. Major Corporation's skybox on the fifty yard line. Comped. No $hit. Catered. Open Bar. The whole nine yards.

It's on.

I figure I might just owe the man one for this. It's gonna be killer.

Oh, and I try to remain optimistic. But at the same time, I try to be realistic. You just gotta take the lows in stride.
                  Sounds sweet, I got great seats at texas stadium for the Christmas day game. I just hope it's a meaningful game by then.

Comment

I've been following Philly teams for more years than most on the board. I used to "live and die" according to game outcomes. I'd be absolutely miserable after a Big Loss! But, over the years, there have been so damn many "big losses", that I finally came to the realization that I was really STUPID to let it bother me so much.

I don't bet on sports and I long ago outgrew the transitory pleasure of bragging on "my team" after a win. So why go into a funk when a bunch of well paid pros, who don't know or care about me, lose. Other than being a fan of Philly teams, life has been pretty good to me. Like Pete, I've become a bit of a pessimist when Philly teams get into "crunch time".

The Phils, Flyers and Sixers have really worn out their welcome with me. After I moved north 30 plus years ago, I used to go to great lenghts to watch them on TV. Not anymore. Quite honestly, I just don't care about them and their horse shit organizations.

But the Birds are still important to me. The Championship Game losses to Tampa tore my heart out. I EXPECTED them to win those games. Sucker! As D Day said in Animal House, "You fucked up...you trusted us."

The Bird's performance in NFCCG with Carolina was so pathetic I was more disgusted than angry...and got past it fairly easily.

I thought their performance against the Patriots in the SB was gutty and worthy of admiration, and I really expected 2005 to be the year they finally grabbed the gold ring. Not to be!

I don't know what to expect from the Birds at this point, but I am really disappointed in them. Not so much because they're 4-4, but more because of the way they've played. I'll be surprised and pleased if they make the playoffs. I'll root as enthusiastically as ever, even if they're not in the hunt, but there won't be any emotional carryover when they lose.

Life is TOO short...and there's always next year!

Comment

I don't remember when I stopped "living and dying" with the Eagles. Might've been as far back as when Ryan rebuilt the team and cut loose the last of Vermeil's players. I started following the Eagles with them, and it broke my heart to see them go, but sure enough, just about all of them were out of football within the next couple of years, and the chances were that Vermeil's loyalty to the players undid him, when the roster really needed an overhaul.

There are still games I care a ton about -- you should've seen me jumping around the living room when Chad Lewis caught DMac's TD to seal the win over Atlanta in the NFCCG -- but I'm talking "living and dying, every game."

Hey, I'd give just about anything to see McNabb lift the Lombardi trophy and see an Eagles parade down Broad Street. Jeff Lurie's built a first-rate classy organization, and McNabb and Reid are first-class character guys too. I think they truly deserve it, and it's not really fair if they don't cap their careers with something like that. It's like hoping for a ring for Julius Erving with the Sixers.

Am I disappointed that they haven't bounced "all the way back" and they're having a tough time this year? Hell yes, if only because I appreciate all their past years of success, and I think it's just stupid to hear people say "They need to fire Reid" or "Should McNabb go?" I'm holding on to some hope that even though down cycles happen with even great coaches, they eventually do end. Yes, even in Philly. Cowher is a great example of a coach making it through a down cycle that lasted a few years, and I'm sure that there's others.
                      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                      - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Working...
                      X