Lack of discipline...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of discipline...

All three losses we have had a serious lack of discipline late in games and it has cost us...

Cole and his kick putting the Giants in FG range at the end of regulation. We lose it ot.

Last week, Gaither and his too many men on the field penatly. We get a sack, should be getting the ball back. Instead, they keep the ball and win the game.

Yesterday, McDougal...I'm not mad at the penalty itself, but the extra 15 on top of it for his tantrum. And sure we still took a lead after this...but that gave them an extra 3, meaning we had to score a td, instead of just needing 3 to tie.

This is a good team..but obviously not good enough to overcome so many mistakes...especially bonehead mistakes like the above. Physical mistakes I think we can all handle, it's these mental ones that are killing us....IF, and that's a big IF, we can cut these boneheaded mistakes out, we will be ok. But they have to stop immediately.
    Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

All defensive players. Coincidence?

Comment

all young players with little experience as starters. add in drops by Baskett, Schobel and Brown and even more youngster mistakes

it actually adds to my hope that this team grows from this and gets better from here on out

Comment

That's really my only hope right now, Dawk.

Regardless of what you think of Trotter, McNabb, Dawkins etc right now, they are not going to change much, at least not for the better. The hope comes in the younger guys with some growth potential getting better.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Re: Lack of discipline...

Originally posted by Theo
          All three losses we have had a serious lack of discipline late in games and it has cost us...

Cole and his kick putting the Giants in FG range at the end of regulation. We lose it ot.

Last week, Gaither and his too many men on the field penatly. We get a sack, should be getting the ball back. Instead, they keep the ball and win the game.

Yesterday, McDougal...I'm not mad at the penalty itself, but the extra 15 on top of it for his tantrum. And sure we still took a lead after this...but that gave them an extra 3, meaning we had to score a td, instead of just needing 3 to tie.

This is a good team..but obviously not good enough to overcome so many mistakes...especially bonehead mistakes like the above. Physical mistakes I think we can all handle, it's these mental ones that are killing us....IF, and that's a big IF, we can cut these boneheaded mistakes out, we will be ok. But they have to stop immediately.
          Good post!

Glad to see some recognition for the major problem being individual f'ups!

Mistakes by young players,,,,,,,,,,,,, we all should have known that some of this would have happened (I didn't either) with so many young guys seeing soooo much playing time-- hell, we all used to make fun of how hard it was for young guys to see playing time with AR as the head coach,,, now maybe we see a little of why that was.

Comment

Theo...I understand what you are saying. But lets not excuse this discipline simply on the basis of age or tenure in the NFL. These are all grown men you have played at every level. Boil it down and the basics are the same whether you are 10 or 23, in high school, or the NFL. There needs to be consequence for the mental lapses, it is not acceptable to suffer major penalties for kicking a flag, someones nuts, or wandering around the field.

Comment

It's hard to believe that a lack of understanding of the offense or defense has any bearing on a guy kicking a flag, or someone in the nuts. Mistakes in coverage? Yeah, OK, I'll give a guy a break for lack of experience. This other stuff? No way, that is a discipline issue.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I agree with the basic point of this post but the team should be able to overcome these individual mistakes. They are not doing that. I still can't figure out how our defense failed to control a rookie QB for a mere 33 seconds. Seriously how can anyone think we have a good defense when we can't stop a rookie QB with a whole 2 games of experience for a lousy half minute?!?!?!
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Jukin,
                  It is because of the gayest D formation of all time...the prevent. JJ needs to send the house late. Make the QB throw errant passes. Challenge the secondary to blanket their man. This D gives up 10 yard chunks like free mints at a restuarant.

Comment

Actually the D, IMO, sort of did it's job, it held a desperate team to 20 yards in those 33 seconds.

The ST's was more the culprit there, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by bird is da word
                      Theo...I understand what you are saying. But lets not excuse this discipline simply on the basis of age or tenure in the NFL. These are all grown men you have played at every level. Boil it down and the basics are the same whether you are 10 or 23, in high school, or the NFL. There needs to be consequence for the mental lapses, it is not acceptable to suffer major penalties for kicking a flag, someones nuts, or wandering around the field.
                      Who is excusing it? I'm just simply pointing out that a big reason why we have lost the three games we have has been because of some mental lapses in taking some boneheaded penalties.....

IF Cole doesn't kick the linemen Feely has a much tougher kick to tie the game. With his leg, a good chance he misses from around 50 ( I said that yesterday too though )

IF Gaither doesn't run on the field, or at least gets off, the sack stand, we get the ball, and a good chance with the way the O was moving we win at NO.

IF McDougal doesn't go bonehead we have them at 3rd and 22 I believe and down only three. Instead they kick 3 and we need a TD instead of a FG...changes the whole dynamic of the situation then.

There are obviously other issues then those, but flat out dumb, lack of discipline type penalties have been one of the bigges downfalls thus far.

I also never said anything about age of the player making the mistakes. I don't care if it's a rookie or a ten year vet, it's happening and it needs to stop.

As for consequences...I'm sure their are, but we will never know. Andy keeps that stuff in house, and I actually like that. I'm sure he and the other coaches have been in the ear of those guys who have had those mental lapses.
                      Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                        Actually the D, IMO, sort of did it's job, it held a desperate team to 20 yards in those 33 seconds.

The ST's was more the culprit there, IMO.
                        The ST are clearly more responsible for it, but still allowing even 20 yards in 30 seconds is inexcusable! All they had to do was contain a rookie QB for 30 seconds!!! Just 30 frigging seconds!!! That's the same amount of time it took Big Philly to consummate his marriage! ... I mean come on man we're talking half a frigging minute here!!!
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

"The ST are clearly more responsible for it"

Oh I guess I missed that in your rant!

C'mon man, they had what 2 T/O's and they got 20 yards, I would hope our O could do this under the same circumstances. Again, I just can't blame the D too much in this one(cept for Mac Doo Gal). I just wish I was as confident in Akers right now as that kid was.

Comment

Working...
                          X