X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From PFW: Catching Up With Buddy Ryan

A blast from the past.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Co ... 110206.htm

He is only a few years older than our Defensive Coordinator I wonder if he would come back
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Grab ass??? LMFAO!!!!!!!
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I will never forget the day Buddy was fired. It may be the most angry I ever got as an Eagles fan.

Buddy built a team of talented players, and brought a sense of fear and bravado to the Eagles, which had been seriously missing since I started watching the birds around 1970. OK, he didn't win a playoff game. But personally, I feel that he ran into some bad luck also in the playoffs (see the fog bowl).

And it was so great watching him beat up, and piss off, Tom Landry and Jimmie Johnson

After Andy, Buddy is my all-time favorite Eagles coach (even more than Vermeil).

You rock buddy !

Oh....and he may have got more out of his players on game day than any coach that has ever been here.

Comment

Buddy may have gotten alot out of his players on gameday, but like Andy, he was not a great gameday coach( making adjustments), and he consistantly had letdowns, losing to less talented teams. For my money one of the best coaches the Eagles ever had was Bud Carson. Rarely was that guy ever not prepared, in a time when the word genious is used, THAT guy was a genious!

Comment

I cannot stand Buddy, never have....he is a first rank blowhard IMO.

Never built an offense to help us win anything...no playoff wins with that defense!? Amazing...

I never needed the Eagles to instill fear or inflate my ego as a fan...I needed them to win and with a defense for the ages, Ryan squandered those opportunities big time IMO...if Reid had that defense, we would have won 1-2 rings already IMO...
            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

But Ried would never HAVE that defense. We will never have that quality of players on D, and certainly not at LB. I'm also not sure that Reid would have considered some of the guys on that squad as "character guys". LOL!
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I wonder if any journalist ever asked Buddy if he would've done anything different (have a better offensive gameplan than having Randall improvise, hold back from slugging Kevin Gilbride, etc.), but I think his style would be "I wouldn't change a thing" anyway.
                "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas

Never built an offense to help us win anything...no playoff wins with that defense!? Amazing...

I never needed the Eagles to instill fear or inflate my ego as a fan...I needed them to win and with a defense for the ages, Ryan squandered those opportunities big time IMO...if Reid had that defense, we would have won 1-2 rings already IMO...

i agree. he was a buffoon. his defense never was anything until Bud Carson instilled some discipline. and he was a terrible game day coach. he could pick talent, though.
                  Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

[quote=Leonard Tose]
                    Originally posted by "Vote for Kalas":0f3d8

i agree. he was a buffoon. his defense never was anything until Bud Carson instilled some discipline. and he was a terrible game day coach. he could pick talent, though.[/quote:0f3d8]

Same here. No playoff wins, but a "lovable loser". No offense. Amazing Randall wasn't killed, facing Pepper Johnson, Carl Banks, and Laurence Taylor twice a year.
                    Prevent the prevent!

Comment

Buddy was overmatched as a head coach, but he was effective as a D.C. and also at finding guys who could play. He would have been great to have as a college scout.

Comment

Man, you guys are harsh. I think Buddy deserves some credit for reviving an awful football team from years of misery.

Comment

True enough Pliny, I'll give him that much credit. The team needed a fresh start -- all that Marion Campbell really did was preside over dismantling Vermeil's team, and even then I don't think that he really did the full-scale roster turnover that Ryan did. I never saw an Eagles defense wreak so much havoc, that was actually a threat to score, and they did have an exciting offense too.
                          "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                          — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                          - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Buddy did a lot of good things and was a lot of good things. But HC wasn't one of them.

Did revive the program.
                            Was a great interview.
                            Was a pretty good talent scout.
                            Instilled a lot of "swagger" in a so so overall teams.
                            But he wasn't a good HC.

I'll take Reid anyday of the week and twice on Sunday!

Comment

There was a lot I liked about Buddy, but in retrospect he really wasn't that great. There's just no getting over his 0-3 record in the playoffs. He was a dick tease of a HC.

Comment

Working...
                              X