X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump me UUUPPPP B-DAWK!!!!!!!!

Dawkins Tuned In, Geared Up Despite Absence

June 20, 2007

Imagine how much intensity Brian Dawkins has stored up since the end of the 2006 season.
    You see him pacing the sidelines before a game, and you see his rage when he is on the field. The days tick by slowly at this time of the year as the countdown to training camp continues. You are excited. How do you think Dawkins feels?

He wasn't able to attend the Eagles' post-draft camps and OTA's due to family matters -- more on that later -- and you can just believe he is frothing at the mouth waiting to hit somebody. Football is just around the corner, and Dawkins is amped.

"I can't wait to get back and get it going," he said. "I'm very excited about this defense. Very excited. With the parts that we have added -- and I'm not just talking about TKO (Takeo Spikes), but I am definitely excited that he is on my side and that we are going to make so many plays together it is going to be ridiculous -- but I think we have a lot of pieces in place here. We have our rotation going up front with some of those new guys. We have Bunk (Brodrick Bunkley), who now understands what an NFL season is all about. I'm expecting huge things out of him this year."

It was a different kind of off-season for Dawkins, who remained home with his family in Florida as he and wife Connie became parents of twins, born prematurely. Everything is fine at home, says Dawk, who loved every minute of the family experience.

Things continue to look up for star safety Brian Dawkins
    Now, though, the itch is back. After a brilliant 2006 season, a Pro Bowl year and certainly one of the very best in his Hall of Fame-bound career, Dawkins has his sights set on the highest level of achievement in 2007.

What else is there to accomplish? The man has been to six Pro Bowls. He has been an All-Pro, he has been recognized as a player who helped revolutionize the position of free safety.

"You can always improve, always push yourself," said Dawkins, entering his 12th season. "I've worked extremely hard in this off-season. I didn't make it to camp, but I have been busting my hump here with my trainer to make sure that when I get to training camp, I'm going to be ready to roll, more than ready to roll.

"As a matter of fact, being at mini-camp and the OTA's prepares your mind. That's great. I enjoy that time, because you are around the guys and there is nothing but love and you are building something. But being away, I was able to stay in my normal workout. I feel like I have an extra three weeks, give or take, to get my workouts in. Now, I'm working out hard. It is intense stuff -- a lot of core exercises, working on my functional movement, my power, and I'm pushing myself to the limit and beyond -- so being away was, as I look at it, a positive situation to get ready for the season for me.

"I missed the guys, I missed the team and I know that is something I am very much looking forward to training camp."

The message from Brian Dawkins, then, live from Florida, is that all is well. Eagles fans should be excited, he says, because the team is ready to make another push. He loves Spikes for "the energy he has, the leadership he brings, the emotion he plays with and the hunger he has" and understands the Eagles have the horses to play great football now.

"I've been following things. I've been checking the web site, seeing what is happening, and I have talked with Coach (John) Harbaugh and watching some film from the mini-camp," said Dawkins. "I like it a lot. My mind is right. My body feels great.

"This is the first time in my career I missed the camps, and it was definitely a different thing. It was real tough for me to not be there with those guys, but it won't be long before I see them all.

"Just thinking about training camp and all the fans yelling and hollering out at Lehigh, it gets me excited. I think Eagles fans are going to lose their voices a little bit faster than usual this year. They're going to like this team. They're going to be yelling and hollering about all the big plays we're going to make."

There you go. Strap in. The Dawkins Amp Meter is a month away from popping off the charts and when it does, well, you will know it. You will see the great No. 20 at training camp bouncing around, jumping around like he has been here six months rather than 12 seasons.

"I know I'm going to feel like a little kid," he said.

Good thing, too. School is out for now, but it starts up soon enough for one of the Eagles' prized pupils to sit in the first row, hand raised, nostrils flaring.

Dawkins is fine, healthy, happy as can be, blessed to be where he is. It is a good place for BDawk -- husband, family man, star football player.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

i have such a man-crush on Brian Dawkins.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

You and me both. Brian Dawkins is the face of MY Philadelphia Eagles.
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Weapon-X!!!
        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Camp is gonna be some kind of fun this year. It caught my attention that although he has not been in the mini-camps, it is interesting that Dawk has, apparantly from his teamates, some expectations for "huge things out of him[Bunkley] this year." I would imagine he stays in close touch with some of them. Of course some (Fresh) minds LOL, may just think he is toeing the company line with his positive comments. If the players are expecting such an upgrade in his performance, I am just gonna go nuts waiting to see him in action.

Comment

What gives me that little rush of excitement about this team is Dawk wanting to go and looking forward to camp. This is a guy who on more than 1 occasion has stated a total dislike for camp. Maybe good things are coming.I would really love to see this defense return to dominance.
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I was really pumped up for the D last year prior to the season and in the early games. Everyone knows that, overall, the D didn't have the year many expected or wanted. But I am getting just as pumped, if not moreso, this year because I don't think they can step on their business two years in a row.
              I really feel big things for them this year. We'll see
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

I really don't like the idea of Dawk missing mini-camp. Anyone else concerned that he's going to show up out of shape?

Comment

Originally posted by nyc_eagle
                  I really don't like the idea of Dawk missing mini-camp. Anyone else concerned that he's going to show up out of shape?

Comment

Wait - you're not serious are you?

Comment

Dawk is the daddy of a couple of twins? That's great! It'll be great when the kids (if they're identical twins) start playing tricks on people. Telling them apart will be a pastime.

I'm an identical twin myself, born 3 months pre in 1969. There was no ultrasound back then, my Mom didn't know that there were two kids on the way, and so they were worried that something had gone wrong....but, surprise!!!

Twins didn't run in my family until my brother and I...now my sister's had them too...my twin brother bought the nephews some Eagles pajamas.
                      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                      - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by SwingOnThis
                        Wait - you're not serious are you?
                        Completely.

Comment

I hate this crap!! I just can't read this shit anymore. It's frigging June 21 and now I'm starting to feel that tingle in my stomach and the chills down my back.... I can't take it. It's still 3 months until opening day against God in Green Bay and I'm supposed to just sit here and wait? Screw this!! I really can't read this stuff if I want to make it to September 9th without having a stroke.
                          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Juke, I feel your pain! Dawk gets me pumped for TC, but I doubt that I'm making it this year due to an August 15 due date for my 3rd and hopefully last child.

Heck, maybe I'll drive down for the first week.
                            www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Working...
                            X