TDK is the Eagles' recipient of the Ed Block Courage award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDK is the Eagles' recipient of the Ed Block Courage award

Each team has their players vote on a recipient for their team......Eagles' unanimous choice was TDK.

Vick recipient of Block Courage Award
    ESPN.com news services

PHILADELPHIA -- Michael Vick's peers appreciate his tough journey back to the NFL.

Vick won the Ed Block Courage Award, voted on by his teammates on the Philadelphia Eagles, after the once-disgraced star quarterback returned to the league after spending 18 months in a federal prison for his role in a dogfighting ring.

"It means a great deal to me," Vick said Wednesday. "I was voted unanimously by my teammates. They know what I've been through. I've been through a lot. It's been great to come back and have an opportunity to play and be with a great group of guys. I'm just ecstatic about that and I enjoy every day."

A three-time Pro Bowl pick in six seasons with Atlanta, Vick has played sparingly with the Eagles after signing a $1.6 million contract during the preseason, with a team option for next year worth $5.2 million. Vick was granted full reinstatement to the league on Sept. 3 by commissioner Roger Goodell, who allowed him to return to the field in Week 3. Vick has two touchdowns rushing and one passing in 12 games.

The Ed Block Award honors players who exemplify commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage. Each of the 32 NFL teams selects a recipient.

"I've overcome a lot, more than probably one single individual can handle or bear," Vick said. "You ask certain people to walk through my shoes, they probably couldn't do. Probably 95 percent of the people in this world because nobody had to endure what I've been through, situations I've been put in, situations I put myself in and decisions I have made, whether they have been good or bad."

"There's always consequences behind certain things and repercussions behind them, too. And then you have to wake up every day and face the world, whether they perceive you in the right perspective, it's a totally different outlook on you. You have to be strong, believe in yourself, be optimistic. That's what I've been able to do. That's what I display."

The Eagles were criticized by animal rights activists for signing Vick less than a month after he was released from prison. Dozens of protesters voiced their outrage outside the team's practice facility the day after Vick was signed, and many fans threatened to give up their tickets. But Vick got a warm reception in his first game with the Eagles and by most accounts has been a model citizen off the field.

The animal rights group, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, issued a statement reprimanding the Eagles for giving Vick the award. "The Philadelphia Eagles fumbled when they gave Michael Vick the Ed Block Courage Award, which was named after a man who advocated in behalf of abused children," the PETA statement read.

"Michael Vick should not be the person anyone points to as a model of sportsmanship, even though he has now exchanged dogs for touchdowns after serving time for extreme cruelty to animals. We wish him well in educating others, but this is not appropriate and does not mark a joyous moment in NFL history."

Vick has spent time working with the Humane Society of the United States, speaking to school and community groups about the mistakes he made in getting involved in dogfighting. "It was a big obstacle proving I'm worthy of a second chance," Vick said. "It doesn't stop here. I have to continue to prove that. I think it's not going to be a day-to-day process, it's going to be a year-in, year-out process. It's a challenge to myself. The thing I told Roger is that four or five years from now, I'm going to come to him and say, 'Everything I told you I was going to do, I'm still doing it.' And that's what I pride myself on and that's my focus and that's my goal."

Quarterback Donovan McNabb called the award "well-deserved."

"Congratulations to him for straightening his life around and bettering himself as a human being," coach Andy Reid said. "He's obviously very well-respected by his teammates."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

"Congratulations to him for straightening his life around and bettering himself as a human being," coach Andy Reid said. "He's obviously very well-respected by his teammates."

Well said by Andy. I can buy that he turned his life around and it is obvious from what we hear and see that his teammates respect what he has gone through. But this

"I've overcome a lot, more than probably one single individual can handle or bear," Vick said. "You ask certain people to walk through my shoes, they probably couldn't do. Probably 95 percent of the people in this world because nobody had to endure what I've been through, situations I've been put in, situations I put myself in and decisions I have made, whether they have been good or bad."

is crap. Lots of people and lots of families have gone through a hell of a lot, much not of their doing. I admire that he has bettered himself and his life but he should needs to get a grip.
    It is a players vote thing and the players voted so you have to accept that but I don't think he deserves it.

Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Once again I walk away wondering what the hell is going on with this team. What exactly has Vick done that was courageous? He took the only offer he had to return to football and has done basically whatever he needs too to try to reclaim his career. I give him credit for doing a good job with the opportunity he has but there's nothing courageous about it. And his comments about other not being able to endure what he has gone through just shows what a complete jackass he is and how clueless he has become about other people's burdens. He's had to deal with problems he has created for himself. Try to walk in the shoes of one of our soldiers in Iraq or Afghanistan Mikey.

We lost a US soldier named Jared Monti who was given the Medal of Honor. He is to be revered for his exceptional bravery and tremendous personal sacrifice. At age 17, before he was eligible to vote, Monti enlisted in the Army. Returning from his first tour in Afghanistan, he was already highly decorated with the Bronze Star and the Army Commendation Medal for valor. A consummate soldier, and equally humble, his own father didn’t know Monti received the Bronze Star until he found it resting, tucked away in his son’s drawer.

On June 21, 2006 in Gowardesh, Afghanistan, near the Pakistan Border. Sgt. Monti was in charge of a 16-man patrol from the 3rd Squadron of the 71st Calvary Regiment of the 10th Mountain Division. Positioned on a mountaintop, Monti’s team was swarmed by Taliban fighters. While engaging the enemy, Monti simultaneously radioed for help, until he saw that one of his men, Pvt. Brian Bradbury was badly injured, and exposed to enemy fire.

Sgt. Monti’s patrol leader volunteered to rescue Pvt. Bradbury, but Monti insisted he be the one to go, saying: “No, he is my soldier, I’m going to get him.” Despite the intense enemy gunfire, Monti ran into the open and attempted twice to retrieve his wounded comrade. On his third try, he was cut down by a rocket-propelled grenade, and died shortly thereafter. His actions in that moment, however inspired his men to thwart the Taliban fighters, thanks in part to the air support Monti had called for before his death.

Not all displays of courage involve running through enemy lines or running into a burning building. One of my favorite "every day" heroes is a guy named Dick Hoyt. Dick Hoyt is the Father who gives of himself so that his disabled son can have a few hours of joy. He not only runs marathons for his son, but pushes him in a wheelchair so he can experience what it feels like to run. Imagine training for a marathon where you not only run 26 miles but push a grown man in a wheelchair the entire way! This is someone who defines honor and courage IMM.

Vick's arrogance pisses me off when I hear about people like these. I'm glad Vick is getting his life straight but he needs to keep the self serving, back patting to himself.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

The award is given to a teammate who is "a source of inspiration and courage." For example, Brian Dawkins is getting the Ed Block Courage Award for the Broncos this year.

TDK gets props for staying clean for about 7 months since getting released from prison, for whatever community service he's done.....and that's about it. He lost a lot, but it's only because he was given so incredibly much, for years, to begin with, and then basically he gave it 100% effort to lose it all.

But he's doing all right, it's not like he was banned from football, and doesn't still have three mansions for his family. It's up to him to stay clean from here out, and if he can inspire people like his uncle to turn their lives around and stay out of drug rings too, so much the better.
        Last edited by balto-eaglefan; 12-24-2009, 09:13 AM.
        "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
        — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”

Comment

Sheridan's take: there are better candidates on the Eagles for this award:

Vick doesn't deserve award for courage

By Phil Sheridan
          Inquirer Sports Columnist

Richard Collier was a 26-year-old left tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars when he was the victim of a drive-by shooting last year. The 14 gunshot wounds left Collier paralyzed and cost him one of his legs. He went from prime-of-life athlete to wheelchair-bound crime victim in one awful moment.

His Jaguars teammates acknowledged Collier's will to survive by voting him winner of their Ed Block Courage Award.

The Chicago Bears elected defensive lineman Israel Idonije, whose foundation focuses on promoting education and staying in school for at-risk youths, and who traveled to Africa two years in a row to provide college scholarships.

Here's what Idonije said about the award: "It's an honor. I've been fortunate to receive it, but there are a lot of people that come together to make all the good stuff happen within the community."

The Cleveland Browns chose wide receiver Mike Furrey because of his extensive community work. Furrey, too, was humbled and gave credit to the many less-heralded people whose selflessness isn't recognized.

"I don't think it's something I deserve," Furrey said.

Yesterday, the Eagles announced that they had voted the annual team award to backup quarterback Michael Vick. Here's what Vick had to say: "I've had to overcome a lot, probably more than one single individual can handle or can bear. You take a look at what I've been through, you ask certain people to walk in my shoes, they probably couldn't do it. Probably 95 percent of the people in this world - because nobody had to endure what I've been through, situations I've been put in, situations I've placed myself in."

After serving under Gen. George S. Patton in World War II (and receiving a Purple Heart for being wounded), Ed Block became the athletic trainer for the old Baltimore Colts franchise. He advocated for education and certification among trainers, and he donated his knowledge and expertise to help disabled children.

The Courage awards have been given to a player from each NFL team for a quarter-century. They are often given to players who return from serious injuries - Correll Buckhalter was the Eagles' recipient a couple of years ago - or who have had to overcome personal tragedies or obstacles. Last year, Eagles players voted for long-snapper Jon Dorenbos, whose mother was murdered by his father when he was 12 years old.

According to the Ed Block Foundation Web site (edblock.org), the awards are meant to recognize courage, commitment to sportsmanship, and community service.

Let's be clear here. The foundation doesn't choose the award winners. The NFL has nothing to do with it. The Eagles' front office and coaching staff does not nominate or choose the winner. The trainers have no say.

It is the players who vote, and the Eagles players selected Michael Vick.

Not Jeremiah Trotter, who came out of retirement, accepted whatever role the coaches gave him and worked his way back into the starting lineup.

Not Todd Herremans, who has played remarkably at both guard and left tackle after being forced to use a little cart under his left leg after knee surgery in September.

Not Brian Westbrook, who had surgeries on his knee and ankle in the off-season and is trying to return after two concussions in one month.

Not Antonio Dixon, a long-shot undrafted free agent defensive lineman who was homeless as a child.

No. The Eagles chose to recognize Vick for "what he's been through," as head coach Andy Reid put it.

And, hey, Vick has been through a lot. He was identified early as a remarkably gifted athlete and treated special throughout his high school years. He was handed a full scholarship to Virginia Tech. After playing just two years there, he was taken with the very first pick in the 2000 NFL draft.

The Atlanta Falcons gave him a six-year, $62 million contract before he ever played a down for them. They tore that up four years later and gave him what was the biggest deal in NFL history at the time: $130 million, including $37 million in bonuses, over 10 years.

Vick overcame all of this privilege and good fortune, winding up bankrupt and incarcerated in federal prison after running an ongoing illegal dogfighting operation. He has since demonstrated the courage to accept a million dollars from the Eagles in an effort to rehab his image and resurrect his very lucrative career.

There are those who think Vick deserves this second chance and those who think his brutal actions should make him a pariah. It's hard to believe anyone thinks he deserves an award for courage or character.

"I don't expect everyone to understand," Reid said.

The shame of it is that Ed Block isn't around any more. It would be entertaining to watch Reid and Vick and Donovan McNabb and the rest of them explain this to him.
          Last edited by balto-eaglefan; 12-24-2009, 09:22 AM.
          — Michael Strahan

Comment

Let me sum up my feelings..... It's bullcrap!

These players live in some sort of dream world if TDK was the most courageous person they could think of on that team. Or that team is really really shallow!

Comment

OK, now after cooling on Vick a bit, I'm pissed at him again. Fuck him. What you have been thru, you little fuck head?????? I'll stop right now before I totally go OFF!!!!!!
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Oy.

Brian Westbrook deserves it more for having been the workhorse of this team for so many years. Every Eagles player who's ever had a concussion deserves it more.
                E A G L E S

EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I do not agree with the award either, but trying to understand what the players were possibly thinking can be fruitful IMV...I am not advocating or agreeing with these ideas, just relaying what I've heard

1. Some players feel Vick was a victim of his upbringing and environment--dogfighting was accepted and promoted and what he did was only what many others have/are doing...he got caught and because he was a star got put through the ringer much harder than anyone else would have been

2. Some players wanted to support Vick on his current behavior course by giving him positive reinforcement in the form of this award...you're on the right track, now keep it up type of approach

3. Players in general stick together and teams bond closely...Vick is obviously respected & liked by his teammates for his talent, achievements and personality

4. The "courage" part of the award is viewed by players as overcoming tough times and coming out the other end in better shape than before...they see him spending two years in jail, losing all his $$ and facing incredible public scrutiny and now see him doing better and making up for what he did wrong

Its not bullcrap...its just that players see things differently than most of us do--I totally agree the award should have gone to someone else, but can understand why they chose Vick
                  Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                    Let me sum up my feelings..... It's bullcrap!

These players live in some sort of dream world if TDK was the most courageous person they could think of on that team. Or that team is really really shallow!
                    Totally agree.

Someone on the other board nailed it when they stated that the players probably have the same cavalier attitude towards dog fighting that Vick had, and see him as some sort of victim.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by sdeaglefan View Post
                      oy.

Brian westbrook deserves it more for having been the workhorse of this team for so many years. Every eagles player who's ever had a concussion deserves it more.
                      qft............
                      — Michael Strahan

Comment

I thought Vick was a pile of shit when he was in college and Atlanta,hated the fact we signed him,but could understand the potential with him on the field. But him putting out a statement like that,F@*k him. Killed a bunch of dogs for fun and sport,f@*k him.Hey Mike,if your looking for some kicks,try russian roulette.The first time you lose will be the ONLY time you receive an ovation from me. Hell I might even have some compassion and pump a second round into your forehead if screw up the first .
                        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

VFK, I understand, I think, the why they did it. It's just that it's lame as hell and it is bullcrap!

He didn't do anything courageous--- he didn't relaize he was doing wrong and turned himself in--- he had to be arrested and put in jail.

He has done only what he has had to to resurrect his career so that he could make millions more. That's not courageous. Courageous would have been for him to forgo his football and go to work for the ASPCA on a national level. He didn't willingly go to jail --- he is a felon. And when he got out he got treated 1500% better than most felons get treated. Doesn't take courage, just a sniff for the almighty buck.

If the players ignore all that, then as EB sez--- they should be ashamed of themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                            VFK, I understand, I think, the why they did it. It's just that it's lame as hell and it is bullcrap!

He didn't do anything courageous--- he didn't relaize he was doing wrong and turned himself in--- he had to be arrested and put in jail.

He has done only what he has had to to resurrect his career so that he could make millions more. That's not courageous. Courageous would have been for him to forgo his football and go to work for the ASPCA on a national level. He didn't willingly go to jail --- he is a felon. And when he got out he got treated 1500% better than most felons get treated. Doesn't take courage, just a sniff for the almighty buck.

If the players ignore all that, then as EB sez--- they should be ashamed of themselves.

I know everybody has strong opinions and I'm not trying to change anybody's mind about this at this point.

I would just note that the fact that the Eagle players voted this award to Vick is further evidence that most players around the league feel Vick got a raw deal.

I've believed for some time now that this effort by the Eagles to take Vick in and give him another chance raises the standing of the organization among players around the league. And that can't hurt in FA "recruiting."
                            Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

LT, you might be correct. IMO there were more deserving people that could have been selected. That said, I understand why (to an extent) Vick was selected. How he beat out any other nominees I do not quite understand. MD, you are also correct in stating that he did nothing outwardly courageous. I agree. Oh well. On to the public flogging of the Cowboys!

Comment

Working...
                              X