Birds would have been better off if the game was close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birds would have been better off if the game was close

This team struggles with big leads against good teams. They don't have the instinct to twist the knife. I hate seeing the d completely dominate a game and then fall onto their heels only to give up leads and lose a game like today. If they would have been in a battle all game they would have kept the heat going all day and finished better. This has been something that we see every year. The coaches need to stick with what is working instead of transitioning to a position of fear.

That subtle change deflates the team. It is the difference between saying lets finish this game and win and lets finish this game and not lose.

it is a matter of visualization. the change in play calling reflects negative images of not letting things happen instead of projecting images of domination. the mind has a funny way of making those images become reality

Comment

Good post Bird, I agree.

However the "pay attention to me" crap from your wife needs to be adressed imediately. I would have flipped fucking out. My wife knows better but I admit I am not a very good husband during Eagles games.

Comment

it was discussed...i wasn't happy then and have not recovered

Comment

I DISagree. This wasn't a product of giving in because of a big lead, this was a product of a lot of unfortunate things. Among them was that Rod Hood got hurt leaving us with Hansen and Wynn on the field on almost every play. If the game had been close we still would have lost because the Giants figured out that they could exploit our DBs very easily.

Comment

i cannot believe that one player in the secondary can impact a team game to the tune of 23 points in one quarter. there was more going on. do you mean to say that jj couldn't scheme to cover the diffeciency at cb? why did the d line stop getting pressure all of a sudden? something happened and it just wasn't rod hood's injury

Comment

Originally posted by bird is da word
              i cannot believe that one player in the secondary can impact a team game to the tune of 23 points in one quarter. there was more going on. do you mean to say that jj couldn't scheme to cover the diffeciency at cb? why did the d line stop getting pressure all of a sudden? something happened and it just wasn't rod hood's injury
              I didn't say ONE player caused 23 unanswered points. I said that there were "a lot of things". But Hood getting hurt did have a domino affect. When Hood got hurt, the Giants began to exploit our CBs - which they hadn't been able to do early in the game. As a result - it seemed to me - JJ backed off on the blitzes because he didn't want to leave Hanson and/or Wynn out on a island by themselves.

Then, that and a combination of a bunch of other things - many of them just bad luck - caused a very unlikely comeback.

Comment

i would be interested to know how many sacks occured while blitzing...i got the sense that most of the pressure and sacks on eli occur just with the front 4.

Comment

Originally posted by bird is da word
                  i would be interested to know how many sacks occured while blitzing...i got the sense that most of the pressure and sacks on eli occur just with the front 4.
                  The problem was, sometimes they weren't even using 4 players up front after Hood got hurt. To my eyes there was a clear change in defensive philosophy which appeared to be a reaction to the suckiness of Wynn and Hanson who were getting schooled.

Comment

We have seen this from the Eagles before and I don't think it's bad luck. I also don't believe that it has to do with the CB's. They played a part in it no doubt but the Vagiants should have been put away earlier than that.

This team relaxed after they thought they had the game. IMO that's why we lost. When you have someone down you don't let them up and that is exactly what the Eagles did.
                    FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
                      We have seen this from the Eagles before and I don't think it's bad luck. I also don't believe that it has to do with the CB's. They played a part in it no doubt but the Vagiants should have been put away earlier than that.

This team relaxed after they thought they had the game. IMO that's why we lost. When you have someone down you don't let them up and that is exactly what the Eagles did.
                      Huh? How can you say bad luck didn't play a big role in it? If Lewis holds on to that ball, they win. If someone falls on the fumble that Kearse forced, they win. If Akers kick bounces in, they win. If Eli doesn't get that pass off or is intercepted when he threw from his knees, they win. All of those plays - just bad luck - the bounce of the ball or just the Giants being in a lucky place at the right time.

And, the TEAM didn't relax. The play-calling relaxed. The team just didn't execute.

Comment

Chris....you can't take away the element of the players executing. You seem to want to blame the lose on a few opportunities but the facts are they had a total break down in every element of the game. Every play in the 4th quarter looked like they were doing a walk through.

Comment

Working...
                        X