• Show
Clear All

• These guys breaking from the coalition should be real hits with the fans

You just can't make some of these jerks happy

Players debating NFL's proposed donation to social justice organizations
    Nov
    11/29/2017 11:49:58 AM
    |More
    In an unprecedented move for a major professional sports league, the NFL has proposed partnering with its players to effect social justice change, though not all players are in agreement on the proposal, Jim Trotter and Jason Reid of ESPN.com report.

On Monday, the league submitted to players the final draft of a proposal that, according to documents reviewed by ESPN, would contribute nearly $100 million to causes considered important to African-American communities. The NFL hopes this effort will effectively end the peaceful-yet-controversial movement that former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick started when he refused to stand for the national anthem last season.

Players are expected to discuss the offer during a scheduled conference call ‪Wednesday night.

However, some players who have actively protested since 2016 are displeased with the NFL's approach and plan to break from the Players Coalition, a group of roughly 40 players who negotiated with the league office, over how its leaders have handled negotiations. Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins and former NFL wide receiver Anquan Boldin are regarded as the leaders of the coalition.

Miami Dolphins safety Michael Thomas and 49ers safety Eric Reid tweeted Wednesday that they are withdrawing.

"The Players Coalition was supposed to be formed as a group that represents NFL Athletes who have been silently protesting social injustices and racism," Thomas and Reid said via Twitter. "However, Malcolm and Anquan can no longer speak on our behalf as we don't believe the coalition's beliefs are in our best interests as a whole."

Regardless, the NFL has made its pitch, and although there is no quid pro quo, the hope is that the league's commitment will create an environment in which players will no longer want to protest.

The NFL's multifaceted offer earmarks at least $89 million over a seven-year period for both national and local projects, according to the documents. On the national level, owners this year would allocate $5 million, with their commitment growing annually and maxing out at $12 million per year from 2021 through 2023. At the local level, owners would put up $250,000 annually and expect players to match that amount, totaling $500,000 for each team. Players and owners can exceed that amount if they choose, with no matching requirement.

In addition, there would be other fundraising opportunities, including telethons and auctions of jerseys worn in games.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Of course it isn't and never was about social justice for many!

It's about what I would expect.

Comment

So let me get this straight- it’s all about helping disadvantaged blacks until it comes out of the players checkbook- is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
        So let me get this straight- it’s all about helping disadvantaged blacks until it comes out of the players checkbook- is that right?
        You got it!

Comment

So what are their solutions or recommendations? That is my question. If this isn't in the coalitions best interest as a whole what is in their best interest. If they can't articulate that they need to sit down and shut up
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

It wasn't about money or injustice for many of the players. It was about attention. This gives them more of that without costing them money personally.
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

>> Smells racist undertones... moving to another thread. <<

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                >> Smells racist undertones... moving to another thread. <<
                It smells like infighting to me and a little backstabbing too:

POSTED: 11/29/17, 9:25 PM EST | UPDATED: 10 HRS AGO 0 COMMENTS
                PHILADELPHIA >> Eagles veteran safety Malcolm Jenkins woke up to a cold slap in the face in the form of a terse statement tweeted by a colleague he’d argued with the previous night.

Jenkins and Anquan Boldin, heading the coalition of NFL players to affect social change largely in disadvantaged communities, basically were ambushed Wednesday morning in that statement. Dolphins safety Michael Thomas and 49ers safety Eric Reid used it to say they were withdrawing from the coalition because of differences with the leadership.

“The Players Coalition was supposed to be formed as a group that represents NFL Athletes who have been silently protesting social injustices and racism,” the statement read. “However, Malcolm and Anquan can no longer speak on our behalf as we don’t believe the coalition’s beliefs are in our best interests as a whole.”

There were insinuations in an ESPN report that Jenkins and Boldin haven’t been transparent, which Jenkins said is puzzling because he tries to double-check information with the leadership. Jenkins also was disappointed that Reid, during their conversation Tuesday, made no mention of severing ties before going public.

“It was one of those things where we were discussing some of the details of what the league has kind of proposed,” Jenkins said. “I wanted some input. Really that was the biggest thing. I was asking for some input before I responded to some of the questions that the league had from us, so, yeah, it did catch me by a little bit by surprise this morning.”

A fractionalized players coalition could be a big problem. The NFL wants to allocate $100 million to the players for use in community programs, according to ESPN. Though the allocation won’t technically include a clause banning national anthem demonstrations, it’s entirely possible the league and the players will have some sort of gentlemen’s agreement effectively ending the individual protests scorned by President Donald Trump, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and a chunk of the American public.

Players were supposed to discuss the league’s offer via conference call Wednesday night. The owners would have to vote on it at the league meetings in March.

Jenkins is left to wonder if Reid has teamed up with former Niners teammate Colin Kaepernick, who began the anthem demonstrations but hasn’t been active in the coalition talks. Kaepernick hasn’t been able to land a job playing quarterback with an NFL team.

“I’m not sure whether Kaepernick wants to be involved,” Jenkins said. “For me, the biggest thing is I saw an opportunity to create a group of players that could use their voices together to really make some change, and we still really have that opportunity. We’ve been able to go from protests to now speaking with ownership about creating something that has never been in place before. We’re proud of that and we’ll continue to meet with whoever wants to be in that conversation and wants to be a part of that solution.”

Eagles receiver Torrey Smith, who knows Reid and Thomas, doesn’t appreciate the very public display of the former.

“I think it could have been handled a little bit differently,” Smith said. “I think it’s perfectly fine for guys to have different opinions on how things should work. But I don’t see anything wrong with the way Malcolm has been approaching everything, even communication-wise, which is one of the biggest issues.

“I say that with all due respect to Eric and Mike. They’re like my brothers. They have very strong opinions about certain things. With any group in general when you’re starting brand new, there’s going to be opposition. People are going to have strong opinions. You kind of try to go with the majority rules. And unfortunately, they kind of felt left out in a lot of ways.”

Smith said Jenkins “has worked his tail off” to position the players to impact social change. Smith also praised Reid, Thomas and Kaepernick.

Eagles defensive end Chris Long, who donated his $1 million base salary to educational charities, doesn’t understand why Reid and Thomas thought the public separation would advance the goals they’re seeking.

“I’ve been on all the conference calls and group chats,” Long said. “And I can say very confidently that Malcolm has been very transparent, and those guys were all but on the board for the coalition that hasn’t been formed yet, really. We’re still structuring it. So, listen, I wish them the best. I think they’re going to get a lot of great stuff done. There’s no reason why Malcolm and the coalition can’t get a lot of great stuff done. But at the same time, I would say I disagree — I think Malcolm’s been very transparent. And I respectfully think he’s done a really good job.”

Jenkins suspects his transparency has been questioned partly because of a personality clash.

“As players, you’ve got a lot of Type A personalities, a lot of alpha males in the group that feel passionate about one thing,” Jenkins said. “It’s often hard to get everyone to agree on one thing. But I think we’ve created dialog amongst players that has been productive, that have been inclusive. We’ve been able to air out our desires, our opinions. We’ll try to formulate those into a singular plan. To kind of have it pushed out into the media was probably the most disappointing thing. We can all call each other up and express our disappointment. But to hear it from the media was a little disappointing.”

Jenkins doesn’t believe the leadership shakeup will jeopardize the NFL’s desire to support the players’ initiative. Asked if the players would stop protesting when the NFL’s $100 million offer is firmly on the table, Jenkins hedged.

“Those conversations are continuing to be had,” Jenkins said. “I think we’re close to forming a partnership that we feel like can amplify the voices of the players. This whole protest to me has been to draw awareness. If the league is proposing something out there that can replace that or amplify that voice, then I see no need in continuing the protests. But those conversations are still being had.”

Comment

Originally posted by yourpalchrismal View Post
                  >> smells racist undertones... Moving to another thread. <<
                  lol...........

Comment

Chris Mal... I’ll just ask nicely to please not go there. Don’t play the racism card. I have never thought that of anybody on the board and - respectfully- it’s a lazy argument.

This payout does look a little like a bribe. And the majority of these protesters are jumping on it because it’s a way out of this. They look like they won. But what did they want to win in the first place? I’m not sure there was a clear goal in mind here.

The majority of these guys went into this with their hearts in the right place I think. I have grown to respect Jenkins because it seems he is trying to walk the walk not just talk. But I just don’t know what the point All was. What does awareness really mean?? I think we are all aware of unfair sentencing and what is going on in our inner cities and that there is still racism in this country but it is a fraction compared to what it once was.

And so here comes the NFL with a contribution and the players are latching on to it as a way out. They want to put this behind them yet save some face.
                    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
                    X