• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injuries improving.........

WESTBROOK BACK AT PRACTICE

September 22, 2006
    By BOB KENT

Eagles fans can breathe a collective sigh of relief. Playmaking running back Brian Westbrook was back on the practice field Friday and -- barring a setback -- should be in the lineup Sunday when the Eagles battle the 49ers in San Francisco.
    Though Westbrook remains listed as questionable on the team's injury report, head coach Andy Reid certainly seemed optimistic in his post-practice remarks, indicating that Westbrook's inflamed knee is feeling better.

"He felt pretty good coming off the field today. I think he's going to be okay," Reid said. "We've been a bit cautious with him just to make sure that we get that swelling out of there. It's down now, so he feels comfortable."

Westbrook spoke about his status after practice.

"I feel very confident I will be able to go out there and contribute and help this team win a football game," he said. "That is what I've been doing all week, trying to get healthy to where I don't have to worry about the swelling any longer."

Last week, Westbrook left the team's Thursday practice early and sat out Friday's workout. He still managed to play Sunday and produced some nice results: 124 all-purpose yards. Afterward, he experienced some soreness.

"Anytime you have swelling, you run the risk of it getting worse," Westbrook explained. "But [head athletic trainer] Rick [Burkholder] and the training staff did a great job of getting me back and in a position to get the swelling down so I could run around a little bit."

The trick now is keeping the swelling out. But that could be a problem on a cross-country trip.

"It's one of those things with the long trip, I have to find a way to keep the swelling down -- ice it on the plane and get up and move around a little bit," Westbrook said. "Hopefully the swelling is gone for good."

It's uncertain whether this will be a lingering issue for Westbrook. Fortunately, it's hasn't forced him to miss any games.

"It wasn't too bad in the game [last week]," Westbrook explained. "Just after the game, with pounding and the cutting it swelled up a little bit."

Tight end L.J. Smith was glad to see No. 36 back on the field.

"He looked good out there and to see him at practice is a good sign," Smith said. "You know Brian is always going to do what he has to do to get out on the field. He's going to play and work, and do his best to get out there on Sunday. We knew he'd have a chance, so in the back of our minds we knew he might play."

A healthy Westbrook is an asset for the Eagles offense and a nightmare for defensive coordinators throughout the league.

Through two games, Westbrook is tied for third among NFL running backs with 11 receptions (117 yards). And his career numbers against the 49ers aren't too shabby either. In a pair of starts, he averaged 5.9 yards per carry (20-11 and 8.8 yards per catch (8-70).

"He's a major weapon," Smith said of Westbrook. "You've got to account for him when he's on the field. He can do so much for us. When he's out there it gives us a much better chance to win the game."

More On The Injury Front
    In other injury news, Donte Stallworth left Friday's practice because of a hamstring spasm, something that he had during last Sunday's game. Stallworth is listed as probable.

"It was grabbing a little bit on him today, so I got him out of there before something serious were to happen," Reid said of his starting receiver. "He should be fine for the game."

On defense, cornerback Lito Sheppard was ruled out for a second straight week due to his ankle sprain. Sheppard will not travel with the team.

However, cornerback Roderick Hood will make the trip. Hood has yet to practice since suffering a heel strain in the first half against the Giants. He is listed as doubtful.

Elsewhere on the team's injury report, long snapper Mike Bartrum returned to practice after missing the previous two days with a sore knee. He was upgraded to probable for Sunday.

Starting left guard Todd Herremans was added to the injury report with an adductor injury. He is listed as probable.

Seven other players on this week's injury report as probable for the game: guard Shawn Andrews (shoulder), receiver Reggie Brown (hamstring), safeties Michael Lewis (quadricep) and Quintin Mikell (thumb), running back/returner Reno Mahe (ankle defensive end Darren Howard (knee) and Smith (shoulder).
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Re: Injuries improving.........

[quote="FRESH"]Starting left guard Todd Herremans was added to the injury report with an adductor injury. quote]

adductor? I hardly know her

Comment

Now that it looks like Mahe is healed, I wonder if he will go back to being the punt returner or will they stick with Wynn?

Also, it seems that hamstring injuries for receivers are out of control this year.

Comment

Wynn actually looked pretty good returning on Sunday.
        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

I just as soon not see Westbrook or Hood in this game at all

Comment

PL I agree with a twist. Get a lead and bring on Moats. We can still stay aggressive. But if we get up by 10 get Westbrook out of there let Moats burn the 49ers.

Comment

Working...
            X