• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birds take big hit in scouting department

Report: Eagles lose director of pro scouting to Raiders
    Mike Mayock stealing Philly talent.
    By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton May 6, 2019, 1:59pm EDT

Photo by Scott Taetsch/Getty Images
    The Philadelphia Eagles are losing director of pro scouting Dwayne Joseph to the Raiders, according to a report from Neil Stratton of Inside The League. Joseph is “expected to fill the role of pro director” for the future Las Vegas franchise.

Joseph was seemingly targeted by former Eagles preseason color analyst and current Raiders general manager Mike Mayock. Mayock was only hired by the Raiders earlier this year so he hasn’t had a chance to fully put his imprint on the team’s player personnel staff until now. Whereas coaching changes often occur immediately after the NFL season, scouting changes typically take place shortly after the NFL Draft each year.

Losing Joseph, who originally joined Philadelphia’s front office four years ago, seems like a significant loss for the Eagles. Philly has made some really good pro personnel additions during Joseph’s tenure: Brandon Brooks, Chris Long, LeGarrette Blount, etc. The Eagles’ pro personnel department did a great job of finding three significant in-season additions last year in the form of Cre’Von LeBlanc, Treyvon Hester, and Jordan Matthews.

Joseph might not be the only key executive the Eagles lose this offseason. It’s also been rumored that Joe Douglas could be joining the New York Jets.

Ultimately, losing executives and assistant coaches is typically a good problem to have. It comes with the territory of being a successful organization like the Eagles have been.

The challenge is to keep replenishing the talent, which goes to explain why the Eagles hired Andrew Berry earlier this offseason.

Philadelphia will likely announce some official front office changes by the end of the month.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I'm a big believer in scouting departments (pro and college dept) along with minor league systems and player development programs. Hate to see the birds lose guys but that is the way of the world unfortunately. Guys want to move up and you can't blame them. I have to say though that in this case it appears, from the above article, that he is going from pro director to pro director. If he was going as director of scouting or some such thing I could understand it better. As it is I have to wonder why he would leave.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Good teams always lose guys like this. They did hire a guy earlier in the guy earlier in the year that is a potential replacement here (can't remember his name)
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
        Good teams always lose guys like this. They did hire a guy earlier in the guy earlier in the year that is a potential replacement here (can't remember his name)
        They hired Andrew Berry who is going to take Douglas' place when he leaves. Get this, he was the head of THE BROWNS scouting department and put together that great 1-31 team. WTF???? Check out this:

The Philadelphia Eagles lured a major fish in the front office Monday, officially announcing the hire of Andrew Berry as the Vice President of Football Operations. Berry was hired from the Cleveland Browns where he served as vice president of player personnel for the past three seasons and comes in high regards with his approach on analytics.(THERE IS THAT FUCKING WORD AGAIN!!!!!)
        Prior to his time with the Browns, Berry worked for the Indianapolis Colts for seven years (2009 to 2015). He was originally hired by Indianapolis as a scouting assistant and was promoted to pro scout in 2011. One year later, he was elevated to pro scouting coordinator and served in that role for his final four seasons with the club. During Berry’s tenure in Indianapolis, the Colts won four AFC South titles, made five postseason appearances and advanced to Super Bowl 44.
        Berry graduated from Harvard University with a bachelor’s degree in economics and a master’s degree in computer science. He also played football for the Crimson, starting all four years at cornerback and earning All-Ivy League honors three times.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
          You win a Super Bowl, you come within a fluke missed pass from going back to the NFCCG, you’re going to lose personnel. There’s always someone who’s next in line.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
            You win a Super Bowl, you come within a fluke missed pass from going back to the NFCCG, you’re going to lose personnel. There’s always someone who’s next in line.
            That is exactly what good teams and organizations do!

Comment

Absolutely agree. I was always taught in my career to train a replacement because you moving up. However, not to be a conspiracy theorist, I would still ask why the lateral move to the same position. Lots of possibilities I would guess. Maybe more sway with the owner/gm, maybe a few more bucks, maybe a bigger market, etc. We will never know but I hope the birds are comfortable with it.
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                Absolutely agree. I was always taught in my career to train a replacement because you moving up. However, not to be a conspiracy theorist, I would still ask why the lateral move to the same position. Lots of possibilities I would guess. Maybe more sway with the owner/gm, maybe a few more bucks, maybe a bigger market, etc. We will never know but I hope the birds are comfortable with it.
                The Birds hiring Berry might have been the reason that Joseph moved on because he probably expected to get Douglas' job one day and saw the Berry hiring as a lack of confidence with him by the Birds. That's a nice way of saying that he was pissed off. If they grabbed a guy from Cleveland in front of me I'd be pissed off too LOL.

Comment

https://www.phillyvoice.com/philadel...ike-maccagnan/

Jets canned a couple of guys and so there is still more talk of Douglas leaving. I can certainly understand him wanting to move up the ranks but would rather have him on our side.
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

That organization is so screwed up Douglas might not want anything to do with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      That organization is so screwed up Douglas might not want anything to do with them.
                      Yeah I think you are right. However, guys rarely turn down these opportunities. Remember there are only 32 of them in the world.
                      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah is "under serious consideration for a prominent front-office position" with the Jets.

It might not be for the actual general manager job, but Jeremiah seems to be in contention for some sort of right-hand man position. Rumored to be the front-runner for the Jets' GM job is Eagles VP of Player Personnel Joe Douglas, who Schefter reports is "close friends" with Jeremiah.

Jeremiah cut his teeth in the scouting departments with the Eagles and Ravens, who Douglas has also spent time with. TV draft gigs seems to be stepping stones to NFL front-office jobs now after the Raiders hired Mike Mayock as GM earlier this offseason.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
                        May 15, 2019, 12:59 PM ET
                        https://www.rotoworld.com/football/n...9487/adam-gase

Comment

Lawlor's take:

http://igglesblitz.com/2019/05/douglas-on-the-move/

Going to the Jets would give Douglas the chance to be the top personnel guy for the first time in his career. That’s absolutely a goal of his. He would be joining a team with a talented young QB and some good pieces in place.

But this isn’t a sure thing.

There is the question of control. Who would control the 53-man roster? Douglas would likely want to control the roster, but Gase might also want that. Douglas and Gase are friends from their time together in Chicago in 2015 so this might not be an issue at all...

… There is the question of structure. Douglas spent most of his career working for the Ravens and Eagles, two teams with defined power structures and strong ownership. The Jets don’t exactly match either description.

There is the Jets factor. This organization has had one winning season in the current decade. Douglas wants to be a GM, but he has to wonder if this is the right job.
                          If things do work out and Douglas heads to NY, that would hurt the Eagles. The team has built up a deep scouting staff and front office so this wouldn’t be devastating, but Douglas is a veteran scout and good football mind. He could take Andy Weidl with him, or possibly some scouts. It is possible that Weidl would want to stay and step into Douglas’ current role. Or that could go to Andrew Berry, who the team hired back in February. The Eagles will have some good options.

While I’m sure Douglas wants the position, he does have to decide if this is the right fit. Usually, you only get one chance to be a GM. If things don’t work out, you go back to being a senior scout or some other semi-executive role.

We should get answers pretty soon...

Comment

Since he doesn't count towards the cap, send a Brinks truck to Douglas' house and make him want to stay
                            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                              Since he doesn't count towards the cap, send a Brinks truck to Douglas' house and make him want to stay
                              That will depend how big Howie's ego is/became. If he truly is the New Howie that will happen. If not it will be "attaboy Joey, go get em tiger". We'll see..

Comment

Working...
                              X