X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cole Hype Machine?

Cole Starts On Career Path To Stardom

September 20, 2006

This is what Trent Cole was when he first arrived at the NovaCare Complex: A raw, ball of energy, tell-me-what-to-do-and-I'll-do-it kind of player. He weighed 238 pounds for goodness sakes.
    What could he do?

Was he a rush linebacker, or a defensive end, or a fifth-round draft pick 'tweener who would never do much of anything except look good in a uniform?

Well, hey, what a difference a year makes. Cole is a beast now, a chisled 265 pounds, a "country boy" who spends his off time figuring out ways to become a better hunter when he's not playing football.

Maybe that's the connection, then. Cole is a hunter, a gatherer, a man who loves the kill.

"I guess you could say that, because to me there is nothing better than sacking a quarterback. That's what I'm here to do," says Cole, undressing after practice on Wednesday, heading to a defensive line meeting. "I mean, I know I have this motor that ... I just don't know how to slow down."

DE Trent Cole has shown great promise early in his career, and the best may be yet to come
    Cole is such a key guy in this Eagles equation, and certainly with the loss of Jevon Kearse, Cole's importance has never been more prominent.

The Eagles are moving around some of their pieces up front, shifting Darren Howard from right end to left end and promoting Cole from a nickel pass rusher to the right end starting job.

The key to this defense and, obviously, one of the keys to the Eagles' goal of winning the Super Bowl, is to have a kick-butt defensive line. Cole is a kick-butt kind of guy, a super-raw talent whom the Eagles recognized from his collegiate time at Cincinnati and projected into a perfect fit as an edge rusher in Jim Johnson's scheme.

"I'm just going to go as hard as I can on every play," he says. "I've slowed down a little bit as I've gained weight, but now I understand technique more and I play faster. I just keep getting faster and faster. The game slows down and I get faster and faster and I all see is the ball and I go get the ball."

Cole has four sacks in two games, tied for the most in the NFL. He also has a killer penalty to live down -- the kick to the groin that cost the Eagles 15 yards in the final regulation seconds of Sunday's loss to the Giants.

He doesn't want to be, and won't be, known as the player to blame for the loss. Cole had a pair of sacks in the game, was dominating, was devastating.

And yet he hurts inside for the defeat. He feels the responsibility.

"We lost, and I feel so bad because we played so hard. It was terrible," says Cole. "I know how hard my team played and I know how hard I played. I feel bad for my teammates. I know we're going to keep playing hard and I know we're going to win games.

"The fans, they have been great to me. I was a little worried about it. I didn't know what they would say. But I have had so many fans tell me to keep playing hard, to get past it and to keep getting after the quarterback. That means so much to me."

The kid is a remarkable story. He literally ran around offensive linemen in high school and earned a college scholarship because he was such a rocket off the line of scrimmage. Only in college did Cole learn the importance of using his hands to shed blockers and make plays.

In the NFL, he has been a quick study. Cole had five sacks last November and earned NFL Rookie Of The Month honors, and then went without a sack for the final six games of the season.

He was a project who, it was obvious, had special skills. Now those skills must morph into something more consistent and punishing.

"A great pass rusher can use his hands and can also bull rush and overpower his blocker when he wants to," says Cole, warming up. "I know a lot more about how offensive tackles want to set me up. I know what they're trying to do to me now. Darren Howard, to me, is a great pass rusher. He uses his hands so well, and he counters people. He's different from a lot of other ends. I'm trying to get to that point. I need to learn how to counter people.

"I'm an edge rusher. Now I'm learning to change it up. You think I'm going to take the edge, and I will show you that I can go inside. That's something I've added to my arsenal. I'm always building my arsenal. Gotta keep adding to it."

Cole has the most exciting kind of upside. He is a bundle of raw nerves and speed and power, and yet he's learning to study the game more and more. He understands the nuances of getting an offensive tackle off balance just enough to make his move.

"I'm learning all the time. I'm hungry to learn," he says.

Cole, in his second year, has that look, doesn't he? He's a special talent, maybe a special player. Certainly, Cole is a huge piece in the plans this year. If he's as good as he looks ...

"That's for you to judge. What is a premier pass rusher? I don't know. I just go out and go," he says. "Every snap, I want to get to the ball. That's my goal. That's what I'm here for."
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

OK, so now that COle is moving into a startig role, is he going to become the next Hugh Douglas? Or the next ND Kalu?

My fear is that Cole is a speed rusher who has been able to come in and surprise OL and catch them of guard. When he becomes a starter and recieves the attention and additional reps, is he still going to be effective?

Part of why I worry about this is that last year he got a bunch of sacks with part time duty and when he first took over as a starter. But no sacks in th last 6 games. Why?? Might be as simple as him hitting a wall, and not being able to maintain the high motor that gets him his sacks. AMybe he's better prepared for it this year. Certainly he is BIGGER.

Cole is an exciting prospect. But right now it could go either way in my mind. He did a GREAT job coming off the bench. Time to take it to the next level...if he can.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
      OK, so now that COle is moving into a startig role, is he going to become the next Hugh Douglas? Or the next ND Kalu?

My fear is that Cole is a speed rusher who has been able to come in and surprise OL and catch them of guard. When he becomes a starter and recieves the attention and additional reps, is he still going to be effective?

Part of why I worry about this is that last year he got a bunch of sacks with part time duty and when he first took over as a starter. But no sacks in th last 6 games. Why?? ..........
      There was an article (last year) on PE.com that answered that question, Freshy. Opposing OL's noticed his speed rush and adapted to stop it. I even remember a quote: "Trent Cole is not a flash in the pan, but opposing offensive coordinators aren't stupid." With a deeper DL, maybe it'll be tougher to do that.
      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
      - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

The next Trent Cole.
        Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
        Playoff Appearances:
        NFC Title Games:
        Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

More attention paid to Trent Cole = less attention paid to Darren Howard. I think that's a good thing.
          Originally posted by DuckyNinja
          I think if FredEx were still on the Eagles, he'd be our best receiver. Seriously. No joke.

Comment

Trent cole was coming on strong last season before howard was here, he isn't a flash in the pan by any means, he was the lone bright spot a few times last year as far d-line play goes.

Comment

McDougle is now the key. How weird is football? Injuries just change things overnight.
              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
              Playoff Appearances:
              NFC Title Games:
              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by phatj
                More attention paid to Trent Cole = less attention paid to Darren Howard. I think that's a good thing.
                I agree-- but I'm not sure the 49's will overlook Howard in favor of Cole in the least little bit.

Comment

Losing Kearse blows.

Comment

Why couldn't Hoselio Hanson have gotten hurt instead of Hood, And Juqua Thomas instread of Kearse
                    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Still don't know how Howard is gonna be better off.(BP) No one is gona pay more attention to Cole than they did Kearse. Add to that that Howard is havng to switch sides, and he's got a tougher job than before, IMO.

Comment

Howard I think has played some LDE... anybody know how well he did it(before we assume it's gonna be so tough on him) ????????

Comment

Playaed his first two years in the league there I believe, and put up 11 and 6 sacks. He'll pick it back up.

Comment

Still don't know how Howard is gonna be better off.(BP) No one is gona pay more attention to Cole than they did Kearse. Add to that that Howard is havng to switch sides, and he's got a tougher job than before, IMO.
                            I'm not sure if this was in response to my comment above, but I'll go ahead and answer anyway.

I didn't mean that Howard would necessarily benefit from Kearse's absense, only that the "Cole Hype Machine" might benefit the Eagles (and Howard specifically).
                            Originally posted by DuckyNinja
                            I think if FredEx were still on the Eagles, he'd be our best receiver. Seriously. No joke.

Comment

Originally posted by phatj
                              I'm not sure if this was in response to my comment above, but I'll go ahead and answer anyway.

I didn't mean that Howard would necessarily benefit from Kearse's absense, only that the "Cole Hype Machine" might benefit the Eagles (and Howard specifically).
                              Nah, it was more aimed at BP and something he and I have ben going back and forth on for a bit. But if I'm their Oline, I'm glad this guy is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X