Donnel Pumphrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donnel Pumphrey

I know a lot of you think that this guy is too small to hold up in the NFL. I always like to look for a precedent of a guy with similar size that had success. To me the comparison that fits best isn't Sproles but rather Warrick Dunn.

Dunn was listed as 5-9, 180 when he came into the league and Pumphrey is 5-8, 175. When Sproles came into the league, he might have been a bit more slight than he is now but he always that enormous strength in his huge legs with a low center of gravity. Sproles is only 5-6 and weighs 10 pounds more.

Pumphrey's legs and running style are more like Dunn's. He runs with much more vision and elusiveness from what I've seen in the videos. Blocking is always a concern when a guy is that size but blocking is always about technique and desire rather than size.
    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Sproles was 5ft 6 175lbs when he came into the league. I think he is around 190 now. I think Pumphrey can put on 10-15 lbs of muscle and be fine at 5ft 8 190lbs. Good eating and a good exercise problem within a year or so he could put on good weight.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I get he is small and DJ may be a bad comparison as a WR, but

D Jackson is a WR, I get it, but at 5'10" and 175.

Dion Lewis is 5'8" 195

Woodhead was 5'7" 195 coming out of college

From a Combine perspective, he is one of the 6 shortest RB's and the lightest with the smallest hands and shortest arms. Never a good thing for ball security. He also had the fewest reps on the bench at 5. His 40 time is top 5, his vertical is middle of the pack and broad jump is below average. Not great measurables. The kid just seems like he can play.

I'd like to see the kid stick and do something.

Comment

I like small jitterbugs when you get them a little room. If he can't hang onto the ball I'd say get rid of him. Anybody know if that was an issue in college?
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
          I get he is small and DJ may be a bad comparison as a WR, but

D Jackson is a WR, I get it, but at 5'10" and 175.

Dion Lewis is 5'8" 195

Woodhead was 5'7" 195 coming out of college

From a Combine perspective, he is one of the 6 shortest RB's and the lightest with the smallest hands and shortest arms. Never a good thing for ball security. He also had the fewest reps on the bench at 5. His 40 time is top 5, his vertical is middle of the pack and broad jump is below average. Not great measurables. The kid just seems like he can play.

I'd like to see the kid stick and do something.

The best part of this draft is Joe Douglas didn't use the underwear Olympics to make his picks. Sure they played a little bit of a part but it was all about productivity (except for Howies pick of Hollins ). The best part of Pumphrey is he is only 22 years old. He gets into the right nutrition and weight lifting plan he can put on 15lbs of muscle very quickly within a year.

Pumphry doesn't have to contribute much this year. Sproles is still here. I doubt they will take touches away from Sproles and give them to Pumphry. He is a longer term guy. Nothing wrong with that.

Smallwood, Sproles will shoulder most of the load and I imagine a little bit of Pumphry and Clement.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Sproles was quite a bit stronger. However it was that Sproles succeeded, probably won't be the case for Pumphrey. Not sure that Dunn is a good precedent either, though they were the same size/weight at the combine (apparently Pumphrey was 169 at the Senior Bowl though, so he's already added a few).

But... these guys figure out a way to succeed. He will be a unique player, for sure, and you may need to figure out ways to use him once you see what he can do. And it's certainly possible that what worked in college doesn't work in the pros, in which case he's a total bust. There is that risk.

The question may be was it that the Eagles saw a unique player they liked, or missed out on Cook in the second round and made sure they at least got this guy. If they mean for him to be the primary back... just not sure but who knows. As a gadget guy to work into the offense, could be interesting.

Comment

I work with a guy who bets college games every week and follows college players very closely. To say he was excited that we got Pumphrey is an under statement. He absolutely LOVED the pick. He is very knowledgeable about the game and I respect his opinion so that said, I'm looking forward to seeing this kid in a real game!
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

watch the video, his feet are unreal. I don't know if we've seen anyone with feet that quick at the position. He stays on the field because no one gets a clean shot on him. He's an AI crossover on every run, breaking ankles and dropping jocks. Gonna be fun to watch .
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

They haven't played as tough a schedule as they used to the last several seasons though. They used to play all of the California schools but they aren't anymore. It's tougher to tell because the competition has dropped off quite a bit.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

According to this, the Cowboys wanted him too:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...diego-state-rb

Comment

Working...
                    X