Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerome Bettis...Hall of Famer...right???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerome Bettis...Hall of Famer...right???

As I was watching the preseason game between the Steelers and the Eagles, the talk of Jerome Bettis being a Hall-of-Famer came up amongst the commentators. I person said he was, and another said sure but it would take a couple years for him to be voted in. In my mind, he is on of the sure HOF in the game today. Of everyone still playing there are only a couple others players that I would elect before Bettis. Those players would be Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Brett Favre, Rod Woodson and Tim Brown(and Bruce Smith but I am not sure if he retired). Is there anyone here that thinks he wouldn't be elected into the Hall of Fame or would have to wait 10-20 years after the manditory 4 year retirement???
    http://www.canuckheaven.com/upload/canttouch.jpg

Jerome Bettis has to be voted into the Hall of Fame. This is pretty much common sense to me, seeing as how after this season he'll likely be number 5 on the all time rushing yards list.

Comment

Bettis will get in eventually, but he's no lock for 1st ballot induction.

He's never averaged 5+ yds per carry for a season, after this year his career average will be under 4 yds, he's topped 1500 yds just once, scored 10+ TDs only one time.

His numbers are not especially impressive, but if Larry Czonka deserves induction, Bettis damn sure does. Just maybe not till sometime on down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Schaller

His numbers are not especially impressive, but if Larry Czonka deserves induction, Bettis damn sure does. Just maybe not till sometime on down the road.
        But Csonka was part of the perfect team right? or did he just win a championship?
        Support Sportscolumn.com! Tell a friend!

Comment

Yes, Csonka was on the undefeated team.

Comment

I haven't looked at stats, but I think it's a stretch for Bettis to get in. Definitely not on the first ballot, and maybe not for a while after. If he's top 5 in total yards, then that is something you can't ignore. But he lacks the big milestones. Granted, not all RBs in the HOF have 2000 yds in a season, SuperBowl victories, etc. My gut just sort of says he's not part of the best ever. IanB is going to go nuts on me...

What about Terrell Davis? His #s are pretty impressive when you look at his average per carry, his 2000 yd season, Super Bowl MVP, and two Super Bowl victories. He just doesn't have the longevity. But you can compare him to Gayle Sayers in that respect. My feeling is that while I think he's deserving, I don't think TD will get in.

Comment

, nah, I don't go nuts. I agree, he might not deserve to get in on the first ballot, but he definetly has to go in some time.

Comment

But you also have to remember that Terrell Davis was in a great running system that has failed to produce a running back that rushes for under 1000 yards. Terrell Davis was great for his 3 year stint. But so is Priest Holmes right now and I think he is overrated. Jerome Bettis has quietly put up great numbers. Curtis Martin has rushed for 1000 yards in like 10 or 11 straight seasons, but he has less yards than Jerome Bettis. That just shows that Jerome Bettis has been pretty consistent through his career as he hasn't played much longer than Martin.
                http://www.canuckheaven.com/upload/canttouch.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X