Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyers trade for Chris Pronger

Flyers trade for Chris Pronger

The Philadelphia Flyers have acquired defenseman Chris Pronger and forward Ryan Dingle from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for Luca Sbisa, Joffrey Lupul, two first round picks and a conditional third round pick.

Pronger - Cup winning defenseman, veteran leadership, 34years old
    Dingle - No clue who he is

Sbisa - I liked the way he played last year, dissappointed he was part of the trade
    Lupul - Glad you, and your contract, are part of the deal, but wasn;t it Holmgren who gave him the deal?
    Two First Round Picks - Pretty steep - but this isn't the NFL - great players can be had in rounds 4-6
    Third Round Pick - Throw in

This move was obviously made to win now and I think they are better now than last season. I'm only dissappointed in the loss of Sbisa.

Horrible trade IMO.

Sbisa was going to be a stud. You also gave a pretty good guy in Lupul and 2 first round picks for a guy that is aging and could possibly be a 1-year rental....

....did Ed rehire Clarkie??
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

huge overpayment for a fading superstar. getting rid of that stiff lupul is great, but sbisa will be a cornerstone defenseman in the league.
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

If they win it all, then we'll all view it like the Blanton trade last year. (Anyone notice how well Outman was pitching for the A's before his injury?)

If this fails, Holmgren will have damaged this team for several years to come.

I was also disappointed in trading Sbisa.

My biggest concern is that the mean, nasty Pronger will spend most of his Flyers tenure in the penalty box based on the way the refs call Flyer games.

Can Paul trade Hartnell now? Guys got some talent, but I can't stand watching him take stupid penalties.
        www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...ension_flyers/

Now they lock him up until he retires. I love the move and the extension now justifies the trade IMO

Comment

I was initially cool to the deal, but i'm warming up to it now. I do love Pronger, and I watched a couple of Ducks playoff games that were re-run on NHL Network recently. He's got plenty left, and provides exactly what the Flyers needed on the blueline -- some snarl.

I'm curious to find out whether this extension counts as a post-35 deal or pre-35. Meaning that when a player aged 35 or older signs a multi-year contract, his average salary is counted against the team's salary cap during every year of the contract, even if the player retires before the contract is up.

Pronger is still 34, but the contract doesn't go into effect until he's 35. so i'm not sure where this fits in. would suck if that counts against the cap for 8 more years.
            Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Here's my answer. If true, this is a great deal. Very affordable cap hit.

By John Boruk
              Comcast SportsNet

On Monday Chris Pronger said he would like to retire a Flyer. A day later, Pronger took a step in that direction, agreeing to a seven-year extension that according to a source is worth $35 million.

The contract expires after the 2016-17 season, at which time Pronger will be 42.

The contract is front loaded in order to keep it cap friendly. It is structured similar to the deal signed by Mike Richards, also a client of agent Pat Morris. In 2007 Richards signed a 12-year, $69 million deal.

“I am very excited to be able to retire a Philadelphia Flyer and I am looking forward to many years with the Flyers logo on my chest,” Pronger said in a statement released by the team. “I think both parties wanted to get it handled in a timely fashion in order to move on and get things set up for future years down the line so that the Flyers could make moves either this year or next year, and know that they had me in place.”

Getting it done in a timely fashion was important for cap reasons.

Pronger’s cap number this season is $6.25 million, but for the next seven seasons will be slightly less than $5 million. Plus, because of a clause in the CBA, had Pronger signed this deal next season at the age of 35 (he turns 35 on Oct. 10) and then retired at some point during the deal, the Flyers would be have been liable for a huge cap hit. But because Pronger is signing the deal now at age 34, any money and any years left on the deal should he retire prior to the seven-year length running out are off the cap.

“We are pleased to have one of the NHL’s premier defensemen in our organization and under contract long term,” general manager Paul Holmgren said. ”When we made the trade for Chris, it was our intention to get him signed to an extension and we are glad we could come to this agreement today.”

The Flyers acquired the Pronger and forward Ryan Dingle from the Ducks during last month’s NHL draft, parting with Joffrey Lupul, highly touted 19-year-old defenseman Luca Sbisa, two first-round picks and a conditional draft pick.

E-mail John Boruk at [email protected].

CSNPhilly.com's Tim Panaccio contributed to this report.

Comment

then again, maybe not! everybody seems confused about this, and lawyers for the Flyers are already involved: http://tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=284062

Comment

Geez, does a league ever lose to a team in a dispute like this?
                  www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Working...
                  X