Trade Rumor: Owens for Porter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Rumor: Owens for Porter

Can you imagine if you had Owens and Moss as your #1 and #1 receivers? Kerry Collins might break Peyton's record. Too bad you'd have to build another locker room facility just to fit their Egos.
    Support Sportscolumn.com! Tell a friend!

One league insider termed these rumors "ludicrous." As the source said, "Anyone who knows anything about football knows that this deal will not happen. There's a better chance of the Eagles giving Owens a new contract, and the chances of that happening are zero."

The biggest impediment to such a deal is that the Raiders paid a $7 million signing bonus to Porter earlier this year. With the bonus spread over only five years per the CBA, Porter's current cap number is $2.4 million ($1.4 million bonus allocation and $1 million in salary). Trading him would cause the entire bonus to accelerate against the 2005 cap, pushing the total cap hit to $7 million, for a net increase of $4.6 million.

Picking up Owens' salary would chew up another $3.25 million in 2005 cap space, pushing the total cap cost of the deal to $7.95 million.

On top of that, Owens wants a new contract.
    Support Sportscolumn.com! Tell a friend!

Comment

Yeah, this isn't happening. In other news, the Kings invited TO to be on their summer league team with Master P.

Comment

Can you imagine, though. It would be like one of those ridiculously stacked Madden Teams you can put together in Fantasy Draft modes. "I just beat the computer 84-3"
        I'm going back to Houston... to do the hotdog dance. I'm going back to Houston.... gonna get some pants.

-Beck

Comment

Well with the Raider's defense it would be more like, "Damnit, I just lost 85-84."

Comment

Working...
          X