No announcement yet.

The Super Bowl XLIV thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't remember the commercial, but right before the beavers with the fiddles,I giggled.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
      I don't remember the commercial, but right before the beavers with the fiddles,I giggled.
      The problem is that everyone tries to be clever but nobody remembers the brands.

So either you're boring and people remember or you're clever and people don't.

I thought the Simpsons/coke one was nicely done.

KGB was ok.

Comment

the problem is there is a commercial for every 5 offensive plays and you can't remember them after #50
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Buffalo Bills (0-4)
          Cincinnati Bengals (0-2)
          Cleveland Browns
          Houston Texans
          Jacksonville Jaguars
          Tennessee Titans (0-1)
          San Diego Chargers (0-1)
          Philadelphia Eagles (0-2)
          Detroit Lions
          Minnesota Vikings (0-4)
          Atlanta Falcons (0-1)
          Carolina Panthers (0-1)
          Arizona Cardinals (0-1)
          Seattle Seahawks (0-1)

Comment

Screw Sean Payton. I can't believe the Saints have a Super Bowl title and the Eagles don't.

And a big FU to the Who bashers. I don't care how old they are, they still bring it. The greatest band to ever walk the planet.

And the drummer is Zac Starkey, Ringo's son, and he's fucking awesome. Took drum lessons from Keith Moon as a boy.
            Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

LT - they might bring it musically but their vocals were painful.

I really can't stand Sean Payton and now he's got a fucking ring. Just like Tom Coughlin. If John Fox wins next year, I'm gonna go apeshit.

By the way, despite Peyton's gaffes, Caldwell was completely outcoached tonight.

Comment

What is worse - listening to the CBS crew do postgame or turn on Berman and ESPN idiots, at least Steve Young is there

Comment

Originally posted by 12dickau4pres View Post
                  What is worse - listening to the CBS crew do postgame or turn on Berman and ESPN idiots, at least Steve Young is there
                  I turned it off before the gatorade bath. I assume Brees will be MVP so no more reason to watch.

I hate Berman. If he choked on stu scott's dick, I'd lead a parade.

Comment

I know longer watch any pregame or postgame stuff. Mainly I love sports and want to maintain that passion, which is diluted by all the chatter about games. I turn on games at the appointed hour and once time expires, the TV is off. There's too much to do in life to sit in a chair and listen to a bunch of people babble about a GAME. And I just think of the absurdity of it all....a panel of "experts" sometimes anywhere between 5 and 8 of them talking about a football game. Sort of feel manipulated by it all, so I just get proactive and shut if off.
                    Sonny J

Comment

Agree. The two weeks before game, the pre game, the post game, the two weeks after game is brutal. There was a day I cold listen to commentators but the advent of ESPN killed that many years ago.
                      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Some of the postgame wind-down from a Fort Wayne newspaper. Not fair that the history of XLIV will mainly remember Manning for that pick-6, but that's life as an NFL QB........

One pass eclipses Manning's season

By Reggie Hayes
                        FORT WAYNE NEWS-SENTINEL

MIAMI - Peyton Manning did not intend that gift for New Orleans, no matter how much he loves his old hometown. Wow, was it ever expensive.

Manning's most memorable and most heartbreaking throw of Super Bowl XLIV went for a pick-six by Tracy Porter and led to the Indianapolis Colts' 31-17 loss to the New Orleans Saints on Sunday at Sun Life Stadium.

That one throw cost Manning a possible second Super Bowl title and second Super Bowl MVP and - worst of all - gave his critics another round of ammunition to question his legacy.

It's harsh but inevitable that Manning should shoulder the burden.

We should credit Porter, certainly. He read the fourth-quarter, third-down wide pass to Reggie Wayne and jumped in front of it. He grabbed it on the run and stuck it in the end zone 74 yards later. He also stuck a dagger in every Colts fan's heart.

"He made a great play," Manning said. "That's all I can say. Porter made a heck of a play."

If we give Manning credit for his endless incredible moments, we have to hang some blame on him when he comes up short.

It doesn't make him any less of a great quarterback. But it takes some definite shine off a once-special season, and it does keep him still on the outside of the Super Bowl superstars.

"I don't think it will have any bearing" on Manning's legacy, Colts coach Jim Caldwell said. "He's a great player. It never comes down to just one single play in a game. There are a lot of different things that happened in that game that could have put us in a different position."

That's true. The Colts didn't help themselves when they were caught unprepared and flat-footed by the Saints' onside kick to open the second half. But we've watched Manning direct so many game-changing drives, it was stunning to see him let loose a throw that went the wrong way.

Manning had protection. He had time. He made the worst possible split-second decision.

It's unfair that this decision, with the Colts driving hard, trailing by 24-17, will mar what has been an incredible season by Manning. But it's also reality.

No one will spend this week talking first about the great plays Manning made.

There were multiple great plays, too. Remember the classic 11-play, 96-yard drive that put the Colts up by 10-0, capped by Manning's 19-yard strike to Pierre Garcon for the score? Remember, too, an unbelievable throw to Dallas Clark - nestled in the midst of five Saints defenders - that kept alive the third-quarter drive that helped the Colts regain the lead?

Within that drive was one gutsy play, when Manning put the Colts in a four-wide formation, with no running back, practically begging the Saints to blitz. He dropped, looked, and hit Clark. Joseph Addai, who played a great game, finished with a spinning touchdown run.

None of those moments stick today. This week, we won't talk about Manning's 333 yards passing, we'll talk about the pick-six and the crushing blow to a Colts season in which they were previously 16-0 in games they tried to win.

"It's the Super Bowl; you never know how it's going to turn out," Manning said. "I thought we just didn't play well enough in certain times and certain phases. They deserved to win."

Find this article at:
                        http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport..._s_season.html
                        Last edited by balto-eaglefan; 02-09-2010, 08:28 AM.
                        "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                        — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                        - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Working...
                        X