Wounded pride equals motivation....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wounded pride equals motivation....

One thing I'll say about Donovan McNabb is that he's a very proud man. Sometimes, maybe he's a bit too proud, and that's why he has a hard time letting things go that maybe he should, which is debatable, but he's a proud guy.

Last season was clearly a disaster. As bad as it was, I think the one thing that TO really managed to do was hurt Donovan's pride. He's hurt, he's still playing, things are sour, and there's TO shooting his mouth off. Then, he finally gets too hurt to continue. It's was about as bad as it can get. Hernia's heal. The pain goes away. But, wounded pride is a different animal, and I honestly think McNabb's pride took some big shots.

Now the question is, how is he going to respond?

I really have no way of knowing, but my guess is that the TO saga is going to have a positive effect on McNabb's play this season. First off, his conditioning has obviously changed. His body fat is around 10%, and I'd venture to say that's the lowest it's been since he was drafted, maybe even before that. Is that important? You're damned right it is, because lower body fat = foot speed.

Maybe, just maybe, this crap with TO, and the wounded pride pushed Donny over the edge just a bit. Early in his career, he used his legs, and terrorized defenses. He progressed, and became a decent pocket passer, and he bulked up to be able to sit in the pocket, and withstand the punishment. And, if last year's events hadn't transpired, there may have been little motivation to change things.

But, it did happen. And, I'm thinking that McNabb, right now, is still smarting from the BS, and pride, being right behind fear on the motivational depth chart, will drive him to do some things that he may not have done in the past. Like taking off with the football, taking more risks, and winning at all cost.

We once had a great running QB. Then we had a decent pocket QB that didn't run much. This year, we're going to have both. It sounds crazy, but I think McNabb is going to have a career year, and TO is going to be partially to blame for it.

Everyone has us pretty even with the other teams in the division. I can live with that, but we have the difference maker in #5, and this year, wounded pride in hand, he's going to do whatever it takes to be that difference maker.

Re: Wounded pride equals motivation....

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
    One thing I'll say about Donovan McNabb is that he's a very proud man. Sometimes, maybe he's a bit too proud, and that's why he has a hard time letting things go that maybe he should, which is debatable, but he's a proud guy.

Last season was clearly a disaster. As bad as it was, I think the one thing that TO really managed to do was hurt Donovan's pride. He's hurt, he's still playing, things are sour, and there's TO shooting his mouth off. Then, he finally gets too hurt to continue. It's was about as bad as it can get. Hernia's heal. The pain goes away. But, wounded pride is a different animal, and I honestly think McNabb's pride took some big shots.

Now the question is, how is he going to respond?

I really have no way of knowing, but my guess is that the TO saga is going to have a positive effect on McNabb's play this season. First off, his conditioning has obviously changed. His body fat is around 10%, and I'd venture to say that's the lowest it's been since he was drafted, maybe even before that. Is that important? You're damned right it is, because lower body fat = foot speed.

Maybe, just maybe, this crap with TO, and the wounded pride pushed Donny over the edge just a bit. Early in his career, he used his legs, and terrorized defenses. He progressed, and became a decent pocket passer, and he bulked up to be able to sit in the pocket, and withstand the punishment. And, if last year's events hadn't transpired, there may have been little motivation to change things.

But, it did happen. And, I'm thinking that McNabb, right now, is still smarting from the BS, and pride, being right behind fear on the motivational depth chart, will drive him to do some things that he may not have done in the past. Like taking off with the football, taking more risks, and winning at all cost.

We once had a great running QB. Then we had a decent pocket QB that didn't run much. This year, we're going to have both. It sounds crazy, but I think McNabb is going to have a career year, and TO is going to be partially to blame for it.

Everyone has us pretty even with the other teams in the division. I can live with that, but we have the difference maker in #5, and this year, wounded pride in hand, he's going to do whatever it takes to be that difference maker.
    Winning sovles alot of problems EB. In the end, that is the only thing that can help him. Unfortunately this Owens crap will haunt him the rest of his life. It's a shame it happened to such a classey kid. Life sure isn't fair is it? This Owens clown has no idea how much damage he did.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

EB, good post!

While I don't know how much of the running Mcnabb we will see, he will be even quicker while dancing in the backfield to make some plays........ we just need some health.

Comment

Heck, I don't actually want to see him run much, even though I'd like to see it now and then. Like how Reid used to pull at least one gadget play a game. I've always thought he was a bigger threat using his athletic ability to buy time, to then hit the open receiver downfield.
        "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
        — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
        - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

As MD has said many times before, McNabb needs to take off a time or two early in games. Doesn't nee to do it a whole lot, but do it early, so it's in their minds. Just the threat in their minds will kep those defenders from dropping too deep, and keep them looking into the backfied a bit.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I'd like to see him take off enough to warrant the defense having to at least consider spying him again. They used to do that, but that was back in the day when we didn't have squat at the skill positions. Now, with Westbrook, the TEs, and our WRs, even if they're not great, McNabb jetting up the field with the ball will really give defenses nightmares.

I say he's going to do whatever it takes this year, and if he needs to run, he'll do it.

Comment

Good post EB,i also expect Donny Mac to have a career season.He seems to have a fire burning inside him this year after the injuries & the T.O. debacle.My only question is how high does he go in our fantasy draft?
              Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Too early for me to consider bud, but I don't think 30 TDs passing, and 3 or 4 TDs rushing is beyond the realm of possibility. Tough schedule down the stretch though, and you do have to consider that.

WTF am I telling you for anyways? I need to be gearing up to kick your a$$.

Comment

Good post.

One point - Eagles love being on the road under REID. Outside of the one year they have been dominant.
                  Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                  Playoff Appearances:
                  NFC Title Games:
                  Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

no QB does it all by themselves

McNabb is in dire need of having a running game behind him and his individual health. Give him those two things and this offense will kick it up again.

Comment

Definitely agree on the health issue.

I've just got a feeling that McNabb is going to come back with a major vengance, after being repeatedly kicked while he was down last year.

What was it that Clint Eastwood said in Hang em' High??

When you hang a man, you better make sure he's dead.

Better F'ing look out for #5 this year.

Comment

Good post and I hope you are right EB...

I disagree that we had only a "decent pocket passer" compared to a "great running QB"...McNabb was the best he has ever been in 2004, way better than when he ran all over teams because he was a more complete QB...Young did the same, McNair too...all the running QB do except for those who never make the transition like Vick or to a lesser extent Randall...

I am hoping with a healthy and huge OL, healthy RB, a better FB (please Tapeh, win that job!) and healthy WR/TE that he will right back into that mold...pass when you can and run it if you have to...I would be fine with some designed plays for him to run too, but we better make sure he is healthy because if we lose #5 again we are cooked IMO...
                        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Vote, I think McNabb was a great running QB. He won games single handedly, with very little help from the skill positions.

I do not put him in the category of great pocket passers. Joe Montana was a great pocket passer. Dan Marino was a great pocket passer. I don't think McNabb is on that level. Good yes, but not great.

It doesn't matter anyways. I'd really like to see him throw caution to the wind, and jet with his legs like he did early in his career, in addition to making the throws from the pocket. I don't think he'll need to run as much to move the chains, because we've got better skill players now, but that rushing element clearly adds something to his overall game. I can't help but think that the reason he's slimmed down so much is to bring it this year.

We'll see.

Comment

As Fresh said my mantra for 5 or 6 years is very simple--- if he runs early, gains a few yards on a couple of carries-- by design or not-- it plants a seed in the DC's mind and IMO they play a little different D, and that D is much more susceptible to Reids spread it around O.

Yo DM--Run a few times early on and you won't have to run nearly as much the rest of the game. Plant that seed! It's just like a play action or a play fake-- it prevents them from just pinning their ears back and coming.

Comment

Agreed MD, and especially in big games, I think it serves to settle him down just a bit, for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X