Tell me about Brian Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about Brian Leonard

I see the Eagles are interested in Leonard. Having never seen him play, I'm interested in your impressions.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scouti ... onard.html says

...Does not have great timed speed or quickness...Is not much of a big play threat...Is not a true lead blocker and can still improve in that area
    Doesn't sound encouraging - what am I missing?

the new Sean Bennett. getting lots of love because he's from rutgers.

has an NFL future as a fullback or an H-back, IMO.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Brian Leonard
      FB | (6'1", 224, 4.55) | RUTGERS

Scouts Grade: 81
      View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
      You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: A hybrid RB/FB type with the frame to add more bulk. He has proven capable of carrying a heavy workload when lined up in a one-back set. Possesses adequate initial quickness and doesn't waste a lot of motion in the backfield. Runs hard, shows very good lower body strength and excels at picking up yards after contact. Runs with good balance and bounces off arm tackles. Displays good agility for his size and he is a determined runner. Reads blocks fairly well, possesses adequate lateral mobility and flashes the ability to cutback. Rarely drops passes that should catch and can be productive after the catch. He shows great determination as a blocker. Can adjust to the moving target at the second level and shows good short-area power in that regard. He's a team player that has been willing to contribute in any way possible throughout his collegiate career. Excellent intangibles and work ethic.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal straight-line speed and second-gear as a fulltime running back. Doesn't have the burst to consistently turn the corner at the next level and isn't fast enough to outrun defenses when gets a seam. He currently lacks ideal size and natural strength as a fulltime lead-blocker type. Doesn't always play with great leverage and has some problems rooting linebackers out of the hole.

Overall: Leonard was redshirted in 2002. He played in all 12 of Rutgers' games in 2003, starting 10 contests and finishing that season averaging 4.1 yards per carry for a team-leading 880 yards with nine touchdowns. He also led the team in receptions (53) for a total of 488 yards and five receiving touchdowns that season. In 2004, Leonard started 10 games, missing the Syracuse game (10/2) due to injury, and again led his team in rushing with 732 rushing yards and seven rushing touchdowns while averaging 3.7 yards per carry. He caught more passes (61) for more yards (51 than any running back in the nation and recorded two receiving touchdowns. In 2005, Leonard started all 12 games, averaging 4.3 yards per carry for 740 yards and 11 touchdowns, while also catching a team-high 55 passes for 568 yards and six touchdowns.
      Leonard does not possess the speed or explosiveness to line up as an every-down starting running back in the NFL. However, he projects to be a consistent contributor as a hybrid fullback/running back type for the right team -- much in the mold of Greg Jones (Jaguars). The teams that have use for his kind should deem Leonard worthy of consideration in the second-to-third round range of the 2007 NFL draft.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

Comment

To me, he's a real logical fit for the Birds. I had the feeling they would take a look at him. He's a nice change of pace guy with alot of motor. He seems like he could learn both backfield spots which Andy likes. I'm not sure he brings more to the table than Tapeh does. If he does become an Eagle, I imagine that he's a PS guy this year.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60
          To me, he's a real logical fit for the Birds. I had the feeling they would take a look at him. He's a nice change of pace guy with alot of motor. He seems like he could learn both backfield spots which Andy likes. I'm not sure he brings more to the table than Tapeh does. If he does become an Eagle, I imagine that he's a PS guy this year.
          Everyone is picking him to go round 2, I sure hope the Eagles have more sense then to pick a guy for the PS with their #2 pick. We need starters on defense.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

3rd round or later please.

Sporting News Draft Mag has us taking him in round 3. I can live with that

round 1 or 2 and I'd be pissed that we are reaching

Comment

any earlier than round 3 is a big mistake.
              Member of the Mike Bartrum Fan Club

Comment

I was watching the combine when RBs were running 40s, and both Vermeil and Mayock were in agreement that Leonard should have weighted up a bit, and focused on playing FB. They both seemed to think that he wasn't exceptional at RB, but that he could be an exceptional FB.

I want defense in this draft. I don't want Brian Leonard, especially in the 2nd round, or even the 3rd. Give me LBers, FS/SSs, DLs, and maybe another CB to groom.

IMO, we've got a championship caliber offense right now. The defense needs a few players to push it up a notch.

Comment

A nice local story but a bad draft pick. Why would we need a lesser version of Bucky....and waste a pick better needed for our DE to boot. Naaahhh!!!

Comment

These draft guys throw numbers around all over the place. I don't see Leonard going ealry in this draft. He hardly ever saw the ball late in the season last year. I've got a beer saying he's no ealrier than the 4th round, and rhat's a stretch.
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                    X