Cheap NFL owners strike again-man I hate these bastards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap NFL owners strike again-man I hate these bastards

Bust your balls like that for 10 bucks an hour? I realize that anybody can do it but that's pretty brutal work, especially freezing your ass off while you're doing it. I also realize that this is the going rate in all northern cities. Unreal.

Hundreds turn out to clear Lambeau Field of snow

GREEN BAY – Hundreds of people showed up early Monday to shovel snow in the Lambeau Field bowl.

The Green Bay Packers put out a call for shovelers late last week and said they might need them once more on Friday if it snows again. The Packers will host the Minnesota Vikings at 7:30 p.m. Saturday in a nationally televised game.

RELATED: Titletown District to open tubing hill; Packers need snow shovelers

The National Weather Service forecast calls for chances of snow from Wednesday night through Friday.

RichRymanPG

@RichRymanPG
    Shoveling snow at Lambeau Field. #Packers

10:44 AM - Dec 18, 2017
    Replies 1 1 Retweet 2 2 likes
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Saturday's game will be the coldest of the year for the Packers. The low temperature will be about 6 degrees, following a daytime high in the low 20s.

The shoveling gig paid $10 an hour.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

You can't compare Green Bay to any other franchise- they're totally unique. A buddy went there for a game last year and said it was surreal. The stadium is built in a neighborhood- a neighborhood- where the homes haven't changed since 1960. There are no parking lots- everyone parks on the lawns of the people who live around the stadium. So, when they ask people to come and help shovel the stadium, its an honor.

Comment

I agree with WC -- to the people in GB that is hollowed ground-- it is an honor for them to get on the field. Plus the ownership of that team is not like the rest of the NFL billionaire owners.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
        I agree with WC -- to the people in GB that is hollowed ground-- it is an honor for them to get on the field. Plus the ownership of that team is not like the rest of the NFL billionaire owners.
        That was once true, but they are no different than any other franchise now. Don't kid yourself. I read this year that Buffalo and Philly did the same thing, 10 bucks to shovel. I get the small town atmosphere that you are talking about though and the fact that front runners of my age identify with them. At one time the town owned the team and there was a board of directors but that's been long gone. About 15 years or so ago the team sold worthless "shares" to everybody who was dumb enough to buy them to rebuild their stadium for $450 a share and raised some ungodly amount of money.

Actually I shouldn't bitch because not long ago they used to ask people to volunteer period to shovel stadiums out for games and people would actually do it! "Hey if you don't shovel the snow out we can't play". Now the billionaires come up with a big 10 bucks an hour. I think that with the ratings this year these guys are STARTING to realize that they don't have everybody by the balls anymore (well they can't squeeze us as tight at least).

Comment

Above minimum wage though. But I am one who thinks minimum should be looked at
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            Above minimum wage though. But I am one who thinks minimum should be looked at
            LOL. You can't even get a kid to run your snowblower for 10 bucks let alone shovel.

Comment

Green Bay is still different

Green Bay 101: Who Owns the Packers?
              GARY ZILAVY
              Other than President of the United States, there’s probably no more prestigious position in our country than an owner of a professional sports team. Sure, there are jobs that may offer a higher salary or more exposure, but owning a team is the top of the heap.

For 31 other NFL franchises, the owners must be a group of 24 or fewer people and cannot be a religious group, government or non-profit organization. And then there’s the Green Bay Packers, the only community-owned franchise in American professional sports.

Green Bay, Wisconsin has a population of 104,057 as of the 2010 census, easily making it the smallest home city of an NFL team. If you look at a map of the United States, most won’t even show Green Bay as it’s the third-largest city in the state behind Milwaukee and Madison.

The Packers ownership group is a little larger than 24. As of 2014, there are 360,760 stockholders who own a share in the team. Each individual share equals approximately .00002%, and no one individual can own more than 4% of the outstanding shares.

Why are the Packers community-owned?
              The Packers have issued several different stock certificates. This one was issued in 1950.
              The Packers have issued several different stock certificates. This one was issued in 1950.

It’s not outrageous to say that without community support, the Packers would have folded. The Packers have turned to stock sales five times to raise money.

The first was in 1923; facing bankruptcy the Packers turned to local merchants to help raise money. The team brought in about $5,585 by selling 1,000 shares at $5 apiece (about $70 in today’s money). If you purchased five shares of stock, you received a box seat for every home game.

A second sale in 1935 helped keep the team afloat after a local fan sued the Packers for $5,000 after falling out of the stands at City Stadium. This sale sold shares at $25 apiece (about $450 in today’s money) and was pitched as more of a fund drive.

The third sale was in 1950. The team was facing $90,000 in losses in late 1949, and scheduled a Thanksgiving Day intrasquad game to raise enough funds to finish the season. The game and stock sale brought in around $100,000 and club president Emil Fischer praised fans at a victory party, saying, “We’ve done it again. Once again Green Bay has proven to the nation what civic pride means.

Since the AFL/NFL merger in 1970, the team has held a stock sale shortly after its two Super Bowl victories. The most recent stock sale happened in 2011 and 2012, when 269,000 shares were sold at $250 apiece to raise funds towards a $143 million addition in the south end zone of Lambeau Field.

What benefits do you get if you’re an owner of the Packers?
              Shareholders in the Green Bay Packers are unlike traditional shareholders of a company. Shares do not pay dividends, cannot increase in value and does not include any equity. Additionally, being a shareholder of the Packers does not provide any preferential treatment or access to season tickets.

There are three major benefits to owning a share of stock in the Packers: voting rights, an invitation to an annual shareholders meeting, and the ability to purchase merchandise specifically for shareholders.

The shareholders meeting takes place each year inside Lambeau Field. The purpose of the meeting is to elect the 45-member board of directors and for the executive committee to report on the health of the organization. In recent history, this meeting has coincided with the start of training camp.

Who runs the Packers organization?
              A 45-member board of directors is elected by the stockholders, who in turn elect a seven-member executive committee. The executive committee runs the Packers, and is ultimately responsible for the direction of the football team and organization.

Mark Murphy is the President and CEO of the Packers, and represents the team at the NFL’s owners meetings.

Comment

Hundreds of people showed up and they got the entire stadium cleared with ease. Sounds like $10 was a good number. My guess is that Green Bay fans would've shown up for free to do it, so $10 may have been generous. Not sure that I see this as something anywhere near the Top 100 things to be upset about in the world right now.

Comment

After reading that I can not understand how anybody could place the GB ownership in the same category as they he other team owners.

Do these 45 executives get paid? How much?

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                    Hundreds of people showed up and they got the entire stadium cleared with ease. Sounds like $10 was a good number. My guess is that Green Bay fans would've shown up for free to do it, so $10 may have been generous. Not sure that I see this as something anywhere near the Top 100 things to be upset about in the world right now.
                    Well as I said before that's the going rte in all the snow cities and it sucks or that kind of work. It might be ok if they let them stay and watch the game too but they don't. Everybody is just supposed to do it for the love of the game. Of course the love of the game BS saves the owners a couple hundred thousand bucks too.

Comment

One other thought-- I'm not sure the cost of clearing the stadium is as big of an issue for the team as is the work force. Take a lot of people to clear a whole stadium in a sort period of time so going public may be their only choice.
                      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                        One other thought-- I'm not sure the cost of clearing the stadium is as big of an issue for the team as is the work force. Take a lot of people to clear a whole stadium in a sort period of time so going public may be their only choice.
                        Going public is fine, paying them nothing isn't. Maybe with the new tax cut they can afford to pay them what they're worth-yeah right.

Comment

If the $10 per hour isn't good enough--- then people shouldn't do it until they raise the rates--- nobody is forcing these people to do it for the $10 bucks. Seems that they have thousands willing to do it for $10 --- bet they could still get it done for $5 hour (maybe even free). Blame needs to be put in the proper place, IMHO. Aint no business in the world that can get a job done for $10 is gonna say-- "nah, let's be generous and give them $30".

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                            If the $10 per hour isn't good enough--- then people shouldn't do it until they raise the rates--- nobody is forcing these people to do it for the $10 bucks. Seems that they have thousands willing to do it for $10 --- bet they could still get it done for $5 hour (maybe even free). Blame needs to be put in the proper place, IMHO. Aint no business in the world that can get a job done for $10 is gonna say-- "nah, let's be generous and give them $30".
                            Exactly right. A perfect example is UPS and their temp hiring. $10 an hour and zero benefits. And those people work a hell of a lot harder. I know of one area where UPS buses temp help in to the hub. But won’t allow them past the gate. These people wait in the cold until their driver picks them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                              Exactly right. A perfect example is UPS and their temp hiring. $10 an hour and zero benefits. And those people work a hell of a lot harder. I know of one area where UPS buses temp help in to the hub. But won’t allow them past the gate. These people wait in the cold until their driver picks them up.
                              All seasonal help for that matter--- don't think Macy's pays there Christmas help anymore than the are required to.

Comment

Working...
                              X