Focus... Or the lack-there-of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focus... Or the lack-there-of...

Andy should have benched MacDaddy for a series after that stupid penalty. Plain and simple. That was an important game to win. Don was not doing any justice by jukin at the LOS... Poor judgement IMO. From there it tailed away into a sh!tty loss. I feel it showed a cockiness that changed the flow of the game.
    http://www.myspace.com/r3nj

It wasn't smart, but hardly worth a benching, even if for a series. That play and lack of smarts or cockiness, whatever you want to call it, is way on down the list as to why the game got away from us.

And if AR did do that, what would Coles punishment be for his bonehead penalty that directly had a major impact on the outcome.....A month??
    Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

Comment

I tell you what anyone who is focused on the McNabb false start penatly as the problem in this game is one of two things

1. They simply have no clue how the game of football is played

2. They are Mcnabb haters and not matter what he does he will always be at fault.

Now lets review the facts

1. The game started to spiral out of control at the begining of the 4th quarter when the lucky bounce of the football went the Giants way for a TD and a 24-14 score

2. Then the offense does a 3 and out

3. The Giants get the ball in great field position but Trotter intercepts the ball and brings it back to the Giants 48 yard line.

4. NOW FOR THE TRUE TURNING POINT IN THIS GAME: ON A 4TH AND 1 AT THE GIANTS 39 YARD LINE THE EAGLES GO FOR IT AND GET STOPPED. Andy should have punted there. To that point in the game the Giants had one drive where they went more than 70 yards. You had to pin them deep there and let you defense go to work. Instead the IDIOT head coach descides to go for it and the Offense did not produce.

5. The defense stops the Giants but the field position game had changed at that point. The Eagles get the ball back at their own 17. They get a first down the McNabb penalty happens but immediatly after that WESTBROOK FUMBLES. A quick TD and the Giants are in this thing

6. Then the Eagles force what would seem like a 49 yard field goal attempt by Feely, which is on the outside of his range. but a KICK TO THE BALLS OF A GIANT PLAYER BY TRENT COLE, Gives him a chip shot field goal

GAME SET MATCH. Its that simple. McNabb did nothing in their to lose this game, He didn't call for a 4th an 1 go for it, he didn't fumble the football at his own 33 yard line, he didn't kick an opposing player in the balls to give that team a chip shot field goal.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by Theo
        It wasn't smart, but hardly worth a benching, even if for a series. That play and lack of smarts or cockiness, whatever you want to call it, is way on down the list as to why the game got away from us.

And if AR did do that, what would Coles punishment be for his bonehead penalty that directly had a major impact on the outcome.....A month??
        Theo, I run a business I started 9 years ago. There are times when you have to call your main man out- That was just the start of things. We were
        6 games in the win column last year and nuff said there... Not at any time
        can we afford to lose focus. I love Don. And yes Cole did a stupid move too. Its just my theory is: If Andy pulls Don and says: "You're my man- Your our leader. PLease don't go there again... Now... Take this gadget play ______ and git out there and score..." Maybe it looks as if AR gave him a play all the way around- but- the message was clear...

Comment

That's all well and good JB but no way do you take him out. And who's to say Andy didn't tell him that? We have no way in knowing but I'm sure at some point, either during the game or after, Reid made mention of that play to Donovan.

Taking your best player out over something like that is way overboard. I see what your saying about calling out your best player, but you can still do that without removing him from a ball game.
          Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

Comment

Sam Donnellon throws a big bucket of cold water on the imaginary "McNabb was clowning around bleep". Its a shame some people are so overly quick to find fault with Donnie when they have no idea what really goes on. At best, its the age old "shoot first and ask questions later approach".

Comment

I find - That this team needed it. Its how I was thinking. You guys fry my cause you "think" I'm new. I'm not- I have many good peeps here and I'm not bashing Donnie, they'd know that!. Thats where you have no clue. There's a tone I felt needed to be set at that point in the game. You guys call AR an "Idiot"... I'm not saying your AR bashers??? So grow up and understand what I said: "From there it tailed away into a Sh!tty loss" thats what I said. "From There I knew we were in trouble- While you guys were still stoned by the A$$Kickin we were giving." Next time instead of bashing me and looking like the second coming of Howard Cosell... You should read my post with a bit of wit. I'm not benching Don cause I don't like him.... I'm letting the team see that "I"... the head coach feel uneasy" and if you freaks that have no better time on your hands then to bash a fellow the barely posts- then you have to much time on your hands. MD invited me here- But there seems to be people above others here. This is tipical PPsite posting:

taz
              Starter
              PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:59 am

"I tell you what anyone who is focused on the McNabb false start penatly as the problem in this game is one of two things:

1. They simply have no clue how the game of football is played:

BLOWME! I do know football you Freak!

Comment

Originally posted by Theo
                That's all well and good JB but no way do you take him out. And who's to say Andy didn't tell him that? We have no way in knowing but I'm sure at some point, either during the game or after, Reid made mention of that play to Donovan.

Taking your best player out over something like that is way overboard. I see what your saying about calling out your best player, but you can still do that without removing him from a ball game.
                Nice... Not the whole game though, maybe a play or two- a series maybe?... And if you put it that way I can see your point. It's what I'd have done- which in turn could be the wrong move- It's only the second game- But I really felt that that was a "red Flag" Thats all. MacDaddy is one of my favorite Philly cats of all time- But last years 6-10 killed me... TO killed me... The lack of focus a certain times killed me and I thought that was the right time.... I see your point.

Comment

I may also be thinking that Cole doesn't do his goof move if AR caught some control a bit earlier. It is what it is... It svcked! And we'll most likely be better for it anyhoo!

Comment

I'll vouch for JB (for whatever good that'll do ). He's no basher. He's a backer.

And JB, you've got a good point. Reid is ultimately responsible for keeping these guys disciplined. And that goes for Cole, Akers, McNabb, Trotter all of them. Whether it be laying a late hit, PF, false starts, whatever. He's the disciplinarian, and it's his bag. However I think your idea that he should have benched McNabb is ludicrous.
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
                      Sam Donnellon throws a big bucket of cold water on the imaginary "McNabb was clowning around bleep". Its a shame some people are so overly quick to find fault with Donnie when they have no idea what really goes on. At best, its the age old "shoot first and ask questions later approach".
                      Im not faulting Don for the loss- Im stating that that may have turned the key a bit towards a nasty loss... I actually thought that thing DMac did was a bit outta charicter too. No worries for a see that it may have frazzled the team just the same. I can't MMQB here. I stick to my gun and agree with some! Dutch- Haven't you ever seen when every once in a while Don gets a bit bubbley and we go goofy for a bit... Thats why I'd step in at that point- Andy surely wasn't thinking that way and I find no fault here either- I'm just different. If he did do and we won the game- That may have been the side step that put our season in perspective...Who really knows if that would have calmed things down?- But please don't say I have no Idea...

Comment

A lot of people made a lot of stupid decissions that game.

Bringing Jeff Garcia in at that time would have been the worst one.
                        Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

I'm totally with you JB. I don't know about benching McNabb but I do think that play was indicative of the problem that led to the loss. It is all about taking responsibility and doing your job.

We have discussed this game ad nauseum but it all comes down to the fact that if ONE guy of M Lewis, Westbrook, any of the Dline on Eli's fumble or the O on 4th down makes a play, the game is OVER. If Donte or LJ make a catch they should make 99% of the time, the game is probably over.

McNabb's head juke does not compare to those plays but was unprofessional and its impact was magnified and probably exaggerated due to the fact that the Birds lost the game.

Comment

JB,

Agree that #5's "head jerk" was high school BS that called for a response from AR. But NOT humiliating him in front of the home crowd in his 1st game back in Philly...especially after ALL of the crap he was blasted with last year surrounding Owens and the SB loss. McNabb had to know that he f'd up and won't pull stunts like that again...if he doesn't, we're in deep trouble.

As far as people "frying" you, I suspect it has less to do with any thoughts of you being new or a "basher" and more to do with the anger/disappointment guys are still dealing with over last Sunday, as well as anxiety about the Bird's immediate future, given all the injuries. If some of the responses to your post seemed a bit condescending, mark it up to "a bad week" for everybody. "Civility" is usually not in short supply here!

Personally, I enjoy reading your posts!

Comment

Sorry, TP and JB but I still disagree with your interpretation of what happened and why. I believe DMAC to be a man of integrity and take his explaination and Donnellon's comments as true and valid. This excerpted from his article this morning in the Inky.

Sam Donnellon | Grinning and bearing it
                              LEADERSHIP WRITTEN ALL OVER McNABB'S FACEhttp://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...l/15570113.htm

"Most notably, McNabb addressed the perception, festering over the 2 days between Sunday's game and his regular Wednesday podium stint, that he was goofing around when he incurred a 5-yard false-start penalty in the late stages of Sunday's excruciating, 30-24 overtime loss to the Giants.

"I felt that the rule was when you're under the center, there's no jerking, there's no head movement to try to draw people offsides," he said. "Now, they were moving around on defense. Obviously, we're trying to run the clock down. I'm watching the play clock and I went down as if I was going under the center."

McNabb then pulled back quickly, not unlike what Peyton Manning does about 30 times a game. But when Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce jumped into the neutral zone, a flag went up.

"Only one person jumped,

and that was the linebacker," McNabb said. "I felt that wasn't a penalty, but the referee thought it was."

The larger issue, though, was McNabb's wide smile after the call. With a 24-14 lead and a little more than 6 minutes remaining - Brian Westbrook's fumble came two plays later - some have suggested that McNabb was not taking the Giants seriously.

It's an argument that can only be made by those who do not watch him regularly.

That smile crops up at all kinds of awkward times. Watch tapes of his horrific first half in a playoff game against Green Bay a few years back.

"It wasn't anything like I was joking or having a good time out there," he said. "I was just trying to see what defense we were going to see in case I had to check into another play."

"Do you think people misinterpret that smile?" he was asked.

"I think so, I think so," he said, repeating it for emphasis. "In that situation we had something to smile about, but I wasn't smiling because of the situation. I was getting guys in the right position to make plays."

It is his way of handling the nerves that by now everyone in the nation is well aware he has.

It is also an attempt to make those around him feel less uptight."

Comment

Working...
                              X