Thanks for the memories Jimmy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the memories Jimmy!

He would frustrate me at times but the era of greatness we experienced wouldn't have happened without him. He gave the team a swagger and confidence it needed to get over the hump. I didn't think I'd be affected by this as much as I have been. The reception the first time he comes back to CBP will be incredible and every time after that (unless of course he pulls some Jayson Werth type front page stuff - then all bets are off).

Thanks J-Roll!!!!

Yeah he gave a lot of good years. He was stable, he was dependable, he was a presence, he was a top shortstop for a long time. But, as you say, he could frustrate you quite often. I am sorry to see him go but the team needs an overhaul. I know he will sign one of those one day deals or something later but I just wish he would have retired a Phil.
    I wonder how Utley will take this.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

just heard someone on MLB Network mention the Dodgers traded Dee Gordon due to his low OBP, one of the arguments we always had about Jimmy
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
        Yeah he gave a lot of good years. He was stable, he was dependable, he was a presence, he was a top shortstop for a long time.
        The end of an era.

All in all, he and Utley were as solid defensively and as productive offensively as any keystone duo I can recall. I'm certain I won't see their equal in a Phillies' uniform again.

It felt so good being a Phillies fan for so long that we came to expect it would go on and on. Now it seems we're back to the bad old days.

Adding to the sadness at seeing Jimmy go is the recognition that, based on his track record, any 'prospects' Amaro has gotten in return will probably be duds.

Comment

You might be forgetting great shortstops of the past like Rueben Amaro and Bobby Wine. And anybody could pair with Tony Taylor
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

You might be forgetting great shortstops of the past like Rueben Amaro and Bobby Wine. And anybody could pair with Tony Taylor
            And one Larry Bowa?

Comment

A guy you would love one day and hate the next, JRoll was always a guy you focused on each game. I remember thinking he had kicked a bull in the balls when he announced to the world in 2007 that the Phillies were the team to beat in the NL East. Pretty outrageous claim for a team that finished 12 games behind the Mets the previous season. But Jimmy could see the future and he was right - the Phils were the team to beat for a long time after that! Like most Phillies fans, I'm gonna miss him but the worst part will be the first time I see him in a Dodgers uniform. That will really suck!
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I don't think I'm forgetting any of them. I was referring to what, IMO, was the unequaled combination of offense and defense with the DUO of Rollins and Utley. The 2 of them have been the core of this team.

And while Amaro, Wine and Bowa were all excellent SSs, arguably even better than Rollins defensively, none are even close offensively, even with the consistency at the plate Jimmy sacrificed in his chronic pursuit of the long ball.

Comment

I probably should have put one of those smiley things in my post. While I have fond memories of the players of my youth none of them eclipse the Rollins/Utley era.
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

I probably should have put one of those smiley things in my post. While I have fond memories of the players of my youth none of them eclipse the Rollins/Utley era.
                    Stupid me?

I'm thinking, 'Is Nodak serious? I'm getting up there but my long term memory can be THAT bad! Did I experience a couple extended comas during which Amaro and Wine could actually hit?'

Comment

Working...
                    X