• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe it works for

Le'Veon Bell: I'm changing NFL like Curry changed NBA

Jan
    1/11/2017 7:59:12 AM

| More

Le'Veon Bell believes his patient approach to playing running back will change the NFL similar to how Stephen Curry changed the way basketball is played in the NBA, ESPN reports.

"I think I'm changing the game," the Pittsburgh Steelers running back told Bleacher Report. "In that sense, I'm what Steph Curry is to basketball. Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think Steph Curry is the best basketball player, but he changed the game so he's going to always go down as being remembered. Now, everyone wants to shoot the 3 and shoot it from deep."

Bell has a patient running style that requires his offensive linemen to hold their blocks before he attacks a hole, usually for a big gain. He said he expects young running backs to try to copy his style.

He recently described that style to ESPN's Jerome Bettis, telling the former Steelers great that he looks off linebackers to bait them into the gap he doesn't want to hit before cutting back.

"I watch the linebacker ... but I'm not going to look at him. I don't even want him to know I see him," Bell said.

Draymond Green, Curry's teammate on the Golden State Warriors, played pickup basketball with Bell when both were athletes at Michigan State. He believes Bell's comparison to Curry has merit.

"That patience he has as a runner has never been seen before," Green told Bleacher Report. "You had Barry Sanders, who shook you out of your socks. Quick as grease. You had 'the Bus' and his power running. You have super-fast runners. But a runner with the patience he has? I mean, I don't know if we've ever seen that. He's a special runner who's definitely transcending the game and it's fun to watch.

"No one else in the NFL runs like that, but I guarantee you, there will be some runners coming out -- and there's probably some in the NFL now -- that'll try to take on that technique."
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

For some reason I can't edit the title. Anyway I was going to say that it might work for him but most players would just get smoked in the backfield if they tried it. I know that was the thinking lining up the tailback so deep in the I formation. I don't know why the backside D ends don't get him in the backfield. If that's his strategy I'll bet next year that you'll see a lot of DEs crashing. I'm surprised nobody does it.

Comment

Pittsburgh's o-line and TEs are blocking so well right now that he can wait to hit the hole. If he tried this on 3/4 of the teams in the league he would be losing yards on just about every play.
      Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
        Pittsburgh's o-line and TEs are blocking so well right now that he can wait to hit the hole. If he tried this on 3/4 of the teams in the league he would be losing yards on just about every play.
        You're right spur. Miami's defense looked like they were playing on ice. They just stood up and couldn't get off blocks. They made it easy for Bell to simply walk through holes. I'm glad he's revolutionizing the game though lol.

Comment

Htat's what I was thinking. I always thought, for the most part, hesitating behind the line was a BAD thing.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

All comes back to the O Line, IMM.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
              All comes back to the O Line, IMM.
              I agree. Funny Pittsburgh is starting a guy at LT that Chip brought in but tried to make him a DE.

Damn I hate Chip more and more

Comment

Working...
              X