DRAFT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRAFT

One rumor that is picking up speed has the 49ers dealing this pick in exchange for Chargers QB Philip Rivers. It might not come to fruition, but it certainly makes sense for both sides. The Chargers would then have three first-round picks and their starting quarterback of the future in Drew Brees. The 49ers, on the other hand, would get a better quarterback prospect than they could find in this draft, as Rivers grades out considerably higher than Rodgers and Alex Smith (Utah). If that potential deal fizzles, the 49ers are left with a difficult decision. In our opinion, WR Braylon Edwards is the top-overall rated player in the 2005 draft, but the Niners need a quarterback much more than they need a receiver. Personnel officials across the country seem to be split between Rodgers and Smith as this year's top-rated quarterback, but we think Rodgers gets the slight edge because of his greater arm strength and experience in a pro-style system.
    Gay for Brady, any day.

Dynasty

Would the niners get any other consideration than Philip Rivers? Cause if not, I'm not sure that's a very good trade.
    Support Sportscolumn.com! Tell a friend!

Comment

The niners would get the first pick in the draft for rivers.
      Gay for Brady, any day.

Dynasty

Comment

Originally posted by scottzolakisgod
        The chargers would get the first pick in the draft for rivers.
        Fixed. I don't think this is very likely, the Chargers would take a massive cap hit for dealing Rivers. The Niners would probably have to get the Charger's first round pick as well to make the trade worth it anyways.

Comment

The chargers would have three first round draft picks next year.
          Gay for Brady, any day.

Dynasty

Comment

Where did you copy and paste this from??? I haven't heard anything like this.
            http://www.canuckheaven.com/upload/canttouch.jpg

Comment

ESPN INSIDER.
              Gay for Brady, any day.

Dynasty

Comment

The guy I heard this from used this site, which probably got this information from ESPN Insider

http://www.gbnreport.com/nextlevelreports.html

Scroll down to March 25.

Comment

Its all over everything now. It was posted on the Daily Quickie this morning.
                  I'm going back to Houston... to do the hotdog dance. I'm going back to Houston.... gonna get some pants.

-Beck

Comment

Yeah, this rumor spread like wildfire and then was gone in a day. Now although the Chargers would get three picks in the first round which is insane, thy have a salary cap to think about and trading Rivers wold put a huge hurt on that cap considering his huge contract last year. Plus, they were already forced to resign some guys, along with the upcoming draft that is some more salary space, and Gates looks like he wants a new contract, so I don't think this deal will get done.
                    http://www.canuckheaven.com/upload/canttouch.jpg

Comment

Chargers should do it, they can trade for future 1st round picks, which would be smart. The cap hit would hurt, but if they got rid of all three 1st rounders, then that would help a little.
                      Gay for Brady, any day.

Dynasty

Comment

I agree it would've been a good trade for the Chargers. Basically getting back the pick they used on Rivers last year, plus the one from the Giants for free.

Oh and

Originally posted by maximus
                        I'm going back to Houston... to do the hotdog dance. I'm going back to Houston.... gonna get some pants.
                        Fax machine anthems, get your damn hands up. New Beck CD is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                        X