No announcement yet.

Wow, trade looks good to me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howie came out and said something about "positioning them for the future". He spent a lot of dough again this offseason and he's trying to maneuver around it. We have huge contracts coming up (Wentz, Graham, maybe Hicks Darby and others). I think that he just can't afford another first rounder because on paper this is a horseshit trade.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
      Howie came out and said something about "positioning them for the future". He spent a lot of dough again this offseason and he's trying to maneuver around it. We have huge contracts coming up (Wentz, Graham, maybe Hicks Darby and others). I think that he just can't afford another first rounder because on paper this is a horseshit trade.
      Graham, Hicks, and Darby are most likely not getting another contract. They really have not spent a ton this offseason. AND this was not a horseshit trade. Its a smart trade by the best GM in the business. Next year when we are sitting there with the 32 pick, a top 10 pick in the 2nd round and 64 we will be saying how lucky we are to have the extra pick.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
        Graham, Hicks, and Darby are most likely not getting another contract. They really have not spent a ton this offseason. AND this was not a horseshit trade. Its a smart trade by the best GM in the business. Next year when we are sitting there with the 32 pick, a top 10 pick in the 2nd round and 64 we will be saying how lucky we are to have the extra pick.
        We'll be trying to replace Hicks, Darby and Graham with one second round pick. Good luck with that. I don't see anything genius about that. He forced himself into this position going for it all last year and with his offseason moves. It is what it is. I'm not condemning him for it. Hell, I applaud him for the SB! Not for this offseason though.

Comment

I still give it about a 7.

Yup we moved back 20 spots-- but moved up in the 4th AND picked up a 2nd next year? Coming off a SB year? Yeah to me that is about a 7.... it gives them giant flexibility for next year. 1st and 2 2nd's in 19? Yup that makes us very flexible and lot's of options.

Keep hearing right hear on this board on contracts coming due and that we could be looking at a rebuild shortly -- well this helps in that long range plan. Well you need picks, options and $$$ to rebuild on the fly... and this goes towards that idea in my mind. So for me it's a 7, would have been a 10 had F'ing Bleeding Green been correct and it was a 1st next year and not a 2nd.

Comment

We'll be trying to replace Hicks, Darby and Graham with one second round pick. Good luck with that. I don't see anything genius about that. He forced himself into this position going for it all last year and with his offseason moves. It is what it is. I'm not condemning him for it. Hell, I applaud him for the SB! Not for this offseason though.
            Sorry Bud, but we have been BEGGING for "JUST ONE SB", we get it and now as every SB winning team learns, there is a price to pay for winning. With the exception of the idiot they traded Smith for-- they have done a real good job this off season, based on what they had to work with. And IMM, they seem to be taking a nice long view for down the road--- instead of mortgaging that future today.

People need to stop worrying about money--- and let that be in the hands of the professionals. We were so concerned with money for 14 years of AR's run--- yet we got schooled every year worrying about the Cap--- time to let the $$$$ take care of themselves and find ways to keep and get the best talent possible to win more than 1 SB.

Yes they are aware that they have some $$$ issues coming... and some of these 1 year deals will help them with that and so will more draft picks be needed to fill the talent loss.

Comment

I just don't see a lot to be excited about. Some of the last 6-7 picks are just not exciting. If they think the same type of player will be available at#52 as they were looking at for the #32 pick, I like that we got an extra 2nd rounder next year. They can do no wrong as long as we are Champs. They better get it right next Feb
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

The second round pick next year will come in handy when deciding how to replace those departing. Maybe someone hitting free agency wants to come here at a cheaper price. Not like it hasn’t happened before. You do your FA signings and use that pick to solidify the team. I wasn’t so happy on this trade when I learned we swapped 4th round picks, I thought we got their fourth. Thinking about it, we would not have received the second in 2019 if we didn’t do that swap.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                  Sorry Bud, but we have been BEGGING for "JUST ONE SB", we get it and now as every SB winning team learns, there is a price to pay for winning. With the exception of the idiot they traded Smith for-- they have done a real good job this off season, based on what they had to work with. And IMM, they seem to be taking a nice long view for down the road--- instead of mortgaging that future today.

People need to stop worrying about money--- and let that be in the hands of the professionals. We were so concerned with money for 14 years of AR's run--- yet we got schooled every year worrying about the Cap--- time to let the $$$$ take care of themselves and find ways to keep and get the best talent possible to win more than 1 SB.

Yes they are aware that they have some $$$ issues coming... and some of these 1 year deals will help them with that and so will more draft picks be needed to fill the talent loss.
                  You seem to be thinking that I don't agree with you MD about the SB. I understand that and the moves were great if not brilliant last year. However, we are not talking about last year now. We brought in 1 moron that is already gone and gave a 34 year old big mouth $7million when we could have used that to renegotiate Graham's contract or kept Vinny. I think that I can question those moves and not be out of bounds with it. I realize that we were backed up into a corner before the offseason started and Howie is doing his best to get out of it and it's not easy. However, there is no reason for me to get excited over giving a first round pick away and I don't give a crap about next year's draft either. Personally if somebody got excited hearing that trade last night I think that they've got a screw loose.

Comment

You seem to be thinking that I don't agree with you MD about the SB. I understand that and the moves were great if not brilliant last year. However, we are not talking about last year now. We brought in 1 moron that is already gone and gave a 34 year old big mouth $7million when we could have used that to renegotiate Graham's contract or kept Vinny. I think that I can question those moves and not be out of bounds with it. I realize that we were backed up into a corner before the offseason started and Howie is doing his best to get out of it and it's not easy. However, there is no reason for me to get excited over giving a first round pick away and I don't give a crap about next year's draft either. Personally if somebody got excited hearing that trade last night I think that they've got a screw loose.
                    I guess we just flat out disagree and view some of these things wearing different strengths of glasses. I think getting Bennett, possible head case and all, was brilliant. Resigning the guys they have is great. Not giving away Foles is a real good job. Based on the CAP situation I think this has been a very good off season, minus out the idiot which nobody could see coming.

They didn't "GIVE" away our first round pick!! Also you act like our 32nd pick, while technically was in the first round is soooooooo much better than 52. When you are dealing with a guessing game, IMHO, thos 20 spots are not that far off-- you act like we gave up a # 5 pick in this draft. We moved 20 spots, and at the same time increased our position for the future. Sorry if you "don't give a crap" about next years draft-- I do and I think they also do as an organization.

And to question some things they do is not "out of bounds" of course-- but those should be questions maybe and not such extreme declarations. Seems you have already made up your mind that Bennett will suck, whereas I think while not a 5 year solution, for a couple of years he will be better than Curry was or is.

We have a team that won a SB with out having 14 first round draft picks on it. The pats won many without having 22 starters from the 1st round. The draft is set up to make you pay a price for winning, and it's how you deal with it overall that gets a team to be elite--- not a 20 place swap. And if you still worry about money like you seem to have a penchant for lately, moving back saves us a nice chunk of change also.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                      I guess we just flat out disagree and view some of these things wearing different strengths of glasses. I think getting Bennett, possible head case and all, was brilliant. Resigning the guys they have is great. Not giving away Foles is a real good job. Based on the CAP situation I think this has been a very good off season, minus out the idiot which nobody could see coming.

They didn't "GIVE" away our first round pick!! Also you act like our 32nd pick, while technically was in the first round is soooooooo much better than 52. When you are dealing with a guessing game, IMHO, thos 20 spots are not that far off-- you act like we gave up a # 5 pick in this draft. We moved 20 spots, and at the same time increased our position for the future. Sorry if you "don't give a crap" about next years draft-- I do and I think they also do as an organization.

And to question some things they do is not "out of bounds" of course-- but those should be questions maybe and not such extreme declarations. Seems you have already made up your mind that Bennett will suck, whereas I think while not a 5 year solution, for a couple of years he will be better than Curry was or is.

We have a team that won a SB with out having 14 first round draft picks on it. The pats won many without having 22 starters from the 1st round. The draft is set up to make you pay a price for winning, and it's how you deal with it overall that gets a team to be elite--- not a 20 place swap. And if you still worry about money like you seem to have a penchant for lately, moving back saves us a nice chunk of change also.
                      Let's face it, we don't need a lot. I don't think Bennett is that good and everybody is assuming that he's better than Vinny. I don't think that's true. I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as the money comment. I realize that it Howie's job to juggle it and does a good job. If you don't think moving 20 spots at the top of a draft is such a big deal then why are you so excited about getting a 2nd round pick next season?

And just for the record I think that you are overreacting to my overreaction.

Comment

But last year we added a lot of key free agents. This year not so much. We still have a good team. But I don’t love the cockiness of fans and media The slant that the Giants pick was bad and then we fleeced them out of getting Lamar Jackson is kind of funny. I hope the team remembers how they barely beat the Giants last year. We shouldn’t be laughing too hard st them

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                          But last year we added a lot of key free agents. This year not so much. We still have a good team. But I don’t love the cockiness of fans and media The slant that the Giants pick was bad and then we fleeced them out of getting Lamar Jackson is kind of funny. I hope the team remembers how they barely beat the Giants last year. We shouldn’t be laughing too hard st them
                          Both games! If they can protect Manning the bastards will be right in it. It's damned near impossible to win a SB never mind repeat one.

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                            The Giants certainly had the game plan to beat us. In a copy cat league, how teams missed what they did is beyond me.

Comment

Let's face it, we don't need a lot. I don't think Bennett is that good and everybody is assuming that he's better than Vinny. I don't think that's true. I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as the money comment. I realize that it Howie's job to juggle it and does a good job. If you don't think moving 20 spots at the top of a draft is such a big deal then why are you so excited about getting a 2nd round pick next season?

And just for the record I think that you are overreacting to my overreaction.
                              I was excited when I thought it was a first next year(as your bed buddy Bleeding Green Nation posted) the second (if you read my comments) brought it down to a 7 IMM when I found out it was a 2nd--- 7's do not get me "excited". I think it was a good deal, not head line worthy.

As for the money comment-- just goin on how I've been reading your posts for the last 2 years now--- and remembering the way we felt about money during the AR years. They were always too "cheap" in your mind now they are mortgaging the future. And it is OK to have a change in philosophy over time, I know I have on some topics. I used to worry about the $$$ and the CAP--- I have learned and changed my "philosophy" over the years and have almost a complete 180. I admit that. Hell I was wrong about the O-Line last year... many times... While I think my concerns were valid -- I was wrong.

Look nobody on this board is any more "EXPERT" than anybody else--- and if there is somebody that thinks they know more than the rest of us-- he is just an asshole.

Comment

Working...
                              X