How important is a backup QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is a backup QB?

This came up on WEEI on my ride home from Costco. The brilliant host said not very much because you're screwed if the starter gets hurt anyway (I guess that the idiot missed the Super Bowl that his team lost LOL). This little piece might shock you about backup QBs in the SB.

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphi...y-won#slide-12
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

That was what, like, 8 or 9 out of 52?

But what that list didn't show you was just how many back up QB's , never made it to the play offs, let alone the SB. It also reminds us that football is the ultimate TEAM game of the major pro sports.

While I personally feel that having a strong back up is important---- I am also mostly of the opinion that "generally" speaking if your starter goes down, you are pretty much screwed. Even though I just lived through the opposite.

As much as I love Nick-- Frankly I still hope a team loses a starter and creates a need for Nick to have real value to us--- as in a trade.

Comment

Foles is a backup because he’s on the Eagles where he could easily be a starter on at least 5 other teams (Cleveland, Miami, Cincinnati, Arizona, Jets, etc)

Foles was kind of a cast off who had been a starter - ie. he’s not your average back up. Most teams don’t have the luxury of a former starter (and now a SUPERBOWL winning QB) as their backup.

The article is correct under normal circumstances.

Comment

If you have a good team and bad back up QB and your QB goes down, you’re screwed.
        If you have a good team and a good back up QB, and your QB goes down you still have a chance.
        If you have a bad team, you don’t have a chance either way.
        Considering that we’ve seen Wentz, Rodgers, Watson, Mariota, Tannehill, Bradford, and Carr all go down in the past two years, it might be worth having a good one.
        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
          That was what, like, 8 or 9 out of 52?

But what that list didn't show you was just how many back up QB's , never made it to the play offs, let alone the SB. It also reminds us that football is the ultimate TEAM game of the major pro sports.

While I personally feel that having a strong back up is important---- I am also mostly of the opinion that "generally" speaking if your starter goes down, you are pretty much screwed. Even though I just lived through the opposite.

As much as I love Nick-- Frankly I still hope a team loses a starter and creates a need for Nick to have real value to us--- as in a trade.
          What I was trying to say was that 9 of 12 teams playing with their backup QBs won without their starting QB. That's pretty impressive. I doubt that anybody would have guessed that it was 75%.

Comment

I'm of the mindset that you first have to have the supporting cast. However you then have to have a coach who understands his QB. If you don't change your play calls to fit your new QB you immediately put him at a disadvantage. Whether it is his ability to throw a deep ball or a sideline pass or ability to read the D etc you have to accept that he isn't the same player
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Based on last year the Backup QB is a critical position. However, I think its critical on Super Bowl talented teams, teams like Dallas its really not that critical they lose their starter they are a top 5 draft pick next year.
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                What I was trying to say was that 9 of 12 teams playing with their backup QBs won without their starting QB. That's pretty impressive. I doubt that anybody would have guessed that it was 75%.
                BUT--- 90% of the teams playing with a back up QB don't even make it to the SB. The 9 or so that do win just shows how much this is still a team game.

Comment

BUT--- 90% of the teams playing with a back up QB don't even make it to the SB. The 9 or so that do win just shows how much this is still a team game.
                  Absolutely

Comment

Green Bay being the perfect example of this

Comment

So I think the end generalization is that if you lose your starting QB you are generally porked--- except on rare occasions when the team is a strong team and THAT backup just happens to fit in.

Comment

So I think the end generalization is that if you lose your starting QB you are generally porked--- except on rare occasions when the team is a strong team and THAT backup just happens to fit in.
                        If you look at that list again a lot of those backups were future HOFers LOL!! It was still a pretty surprising answer though.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
                          Green Bay being the perfect example of this
                          Maybe some guys just can't be replaced too. Then again Nick is certainly no HOFer but he sure played like one in February. I think that Hostetler did when the Giants first won their first one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                            If you look at that list again a lot of those backups were future HOFers LOL!! It was still a pretty surprising answer though.
                            Exceptions don't make the rule!

Comment

Working...
                            X