Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okie Joker?

SHORT: LEARNING DEFENSIVE END
    Linebacker Jason Short has made a name for himself on special teams here. There are few more ferocious, more intense players in the league, and Short's aggressive nature is certainly a positive.

Now, however, Short has a new challenge. He played defensive end in the post-draft mini-camp and is learning the position to be a factor in the defense's "Okie" package.

Whatever it takes to get on the field ...

"Learning a new position is tough, but I feel good learning it only because I know linebacker and it helps me out knowing what the D End is doing," said Short. "It's coming pretty easy to me. I just have to get it down a little more smoother. I have to fine tune it.

"It's an opportunity for me. I'm still a linebacker; I'm learning this for the Joker position and do a little bit of what N.D. (Kalu) did. It's another opportunity that I can take advantage of.

Short played some defensive end in NFL Europe after his collegiate career at Eastern Michigan. He's also got experience coming off the edge on special teams.

"Getting off at punt rush and defensive end are pretty much the same thing," he said. "The difference is working your hands. I have a lot to learn about using my hands. These guys have been doing it their whole lives."

Short is completely healthy after suffering a fractured fibula last November. He was leading the team in special teams production points (74) at the time of his injury.

Competition has been improved at linebacker with the addition of Chris Gocong and the return to health by Greg Richmond, as well as the addition of Dedrick Roper since Short was hurt.

He's doing anything he can to make his niche.

"I feel like I can take lead and help guys out in certain areas. At D End, some of these guys will have to help me out," said Short.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

I think even though he's a beast that Short will have a difficult time making the squad.

Comment

Heck, why not give him a shot at FB??

Short might not be able to catch the ball, or run a lick, but he could certainly get in front of the RB, and blow some people up.

Comment

I was thinking about that. Aren't we already trying to convrt ONE LB into a FB? Seems Short might have a better shot at that. I'd love to see him delivering kill shots in the hole.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Steve I hope you're wrong about Short struggling to make the team. That guy is a fierce player and works damned hard. I'd hope Andy would reward that by finding a way to keep him on the roster. I love watching him throw himself in front of the train on ST. The wedge buster is a role few players excel at even fewer enjoy. He seems to relish the role and is always fun to watch.
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin
            Steve I hope you're wrong about Short struggling to make the team. That guy is a fierce player and works damned hard. I'd hope Andy would reward that by finding a way to keep him on the roster. I love watching him throw himself in front of the train on ST. The wedge buster is a role few players excel at even fewer enjoy. He seems to relish the role and is always fun to watch.
            Jukin - I agree and love what Short brings to STs. To me - it's always a bad sign when the team experiments with a player at a new position. It says they don't value you at the position you originally played. With that said - his special team contributions will make him tough to cut. But when you think about it - how many LBs are they going to keep?

You have Trotter, Jones, McCoy, Barber, Gocong & Simoneau who will all make the team most likely. That leaves Richmond, Roper and Short vying for roster spots. I think the staff really likes Richmond. Short isn't even listed on the LB depth chart and he now resides as the third RDE. Do you see him making the squad as a DE with Kearse, Howard, Cole, McDougle and Juqua Thomas ahead of him? It may be a numbers game that Short loses.

Comment

I agree this is not a good sign for Short...his ST toughness and skill aside, from what I have seen and read his skills as a LB have not really developed and he is just not good enough to stick...they will see if he can beat out Thomas at DE and handle the joker role Ike used to do...if he cannot do either of those, which I agree would be a long shot, then yes I think the numbers are against him...

That is the reality this year like every year...we always have to cut good players
              Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Plus he has had like 436 concussions,,, he may be his worst enemy.

Love the tude though!

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                  That is the reality this year like every year...we always have to cut good players
                  Especially our annual purge of our best special teams player.......

Comment

Originally posted by Tony
                    Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                    Especially our annual purge of our best special teams player.......
                    McCants get cut already?

Comment

When you're the 53rd guy on the roster and you can't stay healthy for a full season, you're a long shot to make the team. Short gets himself killed with his style of play. It's fun to watch, but unfortunately there's no real reason to believe this season wouldn't play out exactly like the last two. Why cut a promising linebacker prospect for a guy you know will be injured by Week 7?

Comment

Agreed. I love seeing Short sprinting down the field like a maniac and blowing up the wedge - but it seems to be his only talent. I think this is the season he gets caught in the numbers crunch.
                        The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

Short = Cow Catcher!

Comment

That'd be a freakin shame. Who's going to play that role if not him? Is Richmond capable, willing?

Comment

They should just do like Texas A&M used to - pull some crazed drunk fan out of the stands every game just for kick coverage.

I'd pay good money to see that nimrod in the Trotter jersey charging into the wedge and getting crushed.
                              The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

Working...
                              X