• Show
Clear All

• Smith trade doesn't help cap problem for March 14

MARCH 02, 2018

Eagles will have to get under the salary cap without the benefit of trades
    Kempski_Headshot_2016-Final.jpgBY JIMMY KEMPSKI
    PhillyVoice Staff
    EAGLES NFL
    030218VinnyCurry ERIC HARTLINE/USA TODAY SPORTS If the Eagles were to trade, say, for example, Vinny Curry, they would not benefit from his cap savings until after the start of the new league year.
    When the NFL's new league year begins in less than two weeks on March 14th, every team must be under the salary cap. Presently, the Philadelphia Eagles are projected to be about $9 million over the salary cap at that time, based on a projected salary cap by OverTheCap.com of $178 million.

MORE ON THE EAGLES
    Recap: Eagles chat with Jimmy Kempski
    If the Eagles trade Nick Foles, is Nate Sudfeld ready to be the No. 2 QB?
    Five potential trade destinations for Nick Foles
    One logical way for the Eagles to help themselves get under the cap would be via trades that help save cap space. For example, a trade of Nick Foles would save the team $5.2 million against the cap. A trade of Vinny Curry, again just for example, would save $5 million.

Unfortunately for the Eagles, agreed upon trades made prior to the start of the new league year cannot be executed until the new league year begins. According to league rules, every team must be below the cap by the new league year, sans the cap relief achieved by trades.

For example, by trading quarterback Alex Smith to the Washington Redskins, the Kansas City Chiefs will eventually save $17 million on their salary cap. However, they are still projected to be over the cap by around $2 million when the new league year begins, because they won't benefit from the cap relief achieved by that trade until sometime after the NFL flips to the next year.

Got it? OK, so how does that affect the Eagles?

Well, they're going to have to cut some players before March 14th. That will be unavoidable. Here are some Eagles players at risk of being chopped so that the Eagles can get under the cap:

• P Donnie Jones: Donnie already did the Eagles a solid by retiring. His cap savings is $1,625,000. That got the Eagles to roughly $9 million over the cap.

• TE Brent Celek: The Eagles will hope (maybe even nudge) Celek into retirement. Should Celek retire or the Eagles release him, that would be a savings of $4 million.

• WR Torrey Smith: Smith had some good moments in 2017, but his hands were inconsistent and he went long stretches without contributing difference-making plays in the offense. If the Eagles were to opt not to pick up a team option on his 2018 salary, they would save $5 million.

Those moves alone would likely get the Eagles under the cap, again, at a projected league salary cap number of $178 million. The Eagles could also reach agreements to restructure the contracts of some players, with Jason Peters being the most obvious candidate for that. A recent report by Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com says that the cap may actually be in excess of $179 million in 2018, which would give the Eagles a little more breathing room.

So, even without the benefit of pre-league year trades counting toward their cap savings, the Eagles will easily be able to get under the cap by March 14th.

Still, in regard to trades not triggering simultaneously with the new league year, that is a dumb rule that benefits neither the teams nor the players, and the NFL should change it. My apologies for the super nerdy informational post. Probably need a girlfriend.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Maybe I'm just not reading the right things, but this concept seems to be flying under the radar just a tad. Everyone was assuming that Smith was the easiest $5M to lop off their cap number, but now he's not because he was traded.

Vinny Curry would seem to be player #2 that was the most logical place to lop money off the cap. I've heard some say that maybe they are trying to trade him. But I'm not sure they can afford to trade him at this point because then he ALSO wouldn't help them get under the cap until after the new league year starts. So I find the Curry situation curious. Since I'd think they have to use him in some way to get under the cap, it would seem a trade probably isn't desirable. (And they would probably only get a conditional 6th or 7th for him anyway.) So why is he still on the team? Are they really trying to renegotiate with him after obtaining Bennett? Interesting.

Also, I think all of us have discussed how trading Foles would be an easy way to get them under the cap. Turns out...nope. That also wouldn't help them NOW.

So how exactly ARE they getting under the cap???????????? I've got to think drop Curry, and...??????????????????????????????????????????

The next week is going to be very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
      Maybe I'm just not reading the right things, but this concept seems to be flying under the radar just a tad. Everyone was assuming that Smith was the easiest $5M to lop off their cap number, but now he's not because he was traded.

Vinny Curry would seem to be player #2 that was the most logical place to lop money off the cap. I've heard some say that maybe they are trying to trade him. But I'm not sure they can afford to trade him at this point because then he ALSO wouldn't help them get under the cap until after the new league year starts. So I find the Curry situation curious. Since I'd think they have to use him in some way to get under the cap, it would seem a trade probably isn't desirable. (And they would probably only get a conditional 6th or 7th for him anyway.) So why is he still on the team? Are they really trying to renegotiate with him after obtaining Bennett? Interesting.

Also, I think all of us have discussed how trading Foles would be an easy way to get them under the cap. Turns out...nope. That also wouldn't help them NOW.

So how exactly ARE they getting under the cap???????????? I've got to think drop Curry, and...??????????????????????????????????????????

The next week is going to be very interesting.
      So now it looks like they weren't in position to trade ANYBODY LOL!! So I guess that would mean that Benet wouldn't count against the cap until after March 14 too?. As if this crap weren't confusing enough already! And very stupid too if I understand it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        So now it looks like they weren't in position to trade ANYBODY LOL!! So I guess that would mean that Benet wouldn't count against the cap until after March 14 too?. As if this crap weren't confusing enough already! And very stupid too if I understand it right.
        It sounds extremely stupid to me too. I wonder if the people who wrote the salary cap also wrote the definition of a catch.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
          It sounds extremely stupid to me too. I wonder if the people who wrote the salary cap also wrote the definition of a catch.

I chuckled when I read this Ross because the same thought came to me as I wrote my post! I guess that a senior moment kicked in and I forgot to add it.

Comment

Not positive but I'm pretty sure Howie knows the trades aren't going to help the cap relief and I am just as positive they have a plan. Sure wish we didn't have to wait to hear it. Do they cut a giant like Peters and resign him the next day? Do they defy the league and say F you we are under one day late? Or do they cut the relatively unimportant fat like Celek, Curry, et al?
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

The article is wrong as usual. I don't get why these writers don't understand the cap. Torey Smiths salary does not count against the cap until his option is picked up. That option needed to be picked up by March 18th. Therefore, his salary does not count against the cap on the 14th. Same thing with the roster bonus and such.

Also so its clear here are the penalties for the cap. Notice the first line.

"The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times, and the salary floor is also a hard floor; penalties for violating or circumventing the cap and floor regulations include fines of up to $5 million for each violation, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks"
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Correct Bennett does not count until 14th IF the trade is made official then. They could wait until the 17th after his roster bonus is made by Seatle to make it official, at which point Seattle pays the 3 million bonus.

Also, the Eagles could convert Bennets roster bonus into a signing bonus and spread that over three years. That would give the Eagles a 2.3 million cap hit for this year for Bennett.

You see there are so many things you can do to get under the cap. Howie has this, I would trust him much more than Elliot Shor Know Nothing as much as I love Kempski him too.
                Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I don’t completely understand the cap. I’m certain the FO does.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                    I don’t completely understand the cap. I’m certain the FO does.
                    I'm totally lost now LOL! Until I see who's shown the door I'm trying to stay calm.
                    Last edited by Eagle60; 03-11-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

I'm totally lost now LOL! Until I see who's show the door I'm trying to stay calm.
                      I am hoping that a lot of contracts are being re written as I type.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                        The article is wrong as usual. I don't get why these writers don't understand the cap. Torey Smiths salary does not count against the cap until his option is picked up. That option needed to be picked up by March 18th. Therefore, his salary does not count against the cap on the 14th. Same thing with the roster bonus and such.

Also so its clear here are the penalties for the cap. Notice the first line.

"The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times, and the salary floor is also a hard floor; penalties for violating or circumventing the cap and floor regulations include fines of up to $5 million for each violation, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks"
                        Oh I understand there are penalties for the cap I am just throwing out there that people have no idea what Howie will do. However, I also believe there will be a day where a team says F you we are one day late and see what the league will do. Not saying the birds will do that; just saying there have been times where the skins or girls were going into some kind of cap hell that they could never recover from only to mysteriously recover with some wrist slap. It would be a ballsy move of the Jerry Jones/Al Davis variety but not out of the question IMO.
                        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

Here's what happened 6 years ago. They should have taken some picks away too.I'm not sure this is exactly the same situation though.

The NFL is taking away millions of dollars of salary-cap space belonging to the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins for front-loading contracts during the uncapped 2010 season, according to league sources.

The salary cap is projected to be $120.6 million in 2012, but the Cowboys will lose $10 million, while the Redskins will be docked $36 million in cap space, sources said.

Sources said Monday that the amounts the Redskins and Cowboys have been penalized off the cap could be split up any way the teams chose for the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

But Tuesday, on the website that teams use to chart other teams' cap situations, the league has deducted $18 million from the Redskins and $5 million from the Cowboys this year.

Twenty-eight NFL teams will receive $1.6 million of additional cap space, the sources said. The teams receiving money can also choose to split it over the 2012 and '13 seasons however they see fit.

Cincinnati, Denver, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Minnesota and Tampa Bay chose not to take the additional room in 2012, a league source said, and will instead get the money in 2013.

The New Orleans Saints and Oakland Raiders are the only two teams that will not receive a portion of the money, but will also not lose any of their own cap space, according to sources.

"The Management Council Executive Committee determined that the contract practices of a small number of clubs during the 2010 league year created an unacceptable risk to future competitive balance, particularly in light of the relatively modest salary cap growth projected for the new agreement's early years," the league said in a statement Monday. "To remedy these effects and preserve competitive balance throughout the league, the parties to the CBA agreed to adjustments to team salary for the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

"These agreed-upon adjustments were structured in a manner that will not affect the salary cap or player spending on a league-wide basis."

During the pre-lockout 2010 season, the collective bargaining agreement expired and the league operated without a salary cap.

According to sources, the Cowboys and Redskins took immediate cap hits during the 2010 season that normally would have been spread out over the length of the contracts, giving them an advantage that other NFL owners found unfair.

In September 2010, the Cowboys signed wide receiver Miles Austin to a six-year extension worth $54 million and paid him a $17 million base salary that season.

Also, as part of the original deal, Austin was to receive a base salary of $8.5 million in 2011, but Dallas created cap room before the season by lowering Austin's salary to $685,000 and turning $7.855 million into a signing bonus.

"The Dallas Cowboys were in compliance with all league salary cap rules during the uncapped year," the team said in a statement Monday night. "We look forward to the start of the free agency period where our commitment to improving our team remains unchanged."

The Redskins also denied any wrongdoing, with general manager Bruce Allen issuing a statement protesting the team's innocence.

"Every contract entered into by the club during the applicable periods complied with the 2010 and 2011 collective bargaining agreements and, in fact, were approved by the NFL commissioner's office," the statement said.

With free agency starting Tuesday, Washington is about $40 million under this year's cap. The Redskins saved more than $3 million in cap room Monday when they released cornerback Oshiomogho Atogwe -- one of their big free-agent signings from last year -- and fullback Mike Sellers.

Dallas is about $5 million under the cap.

So Washington has 16 players who could leave, plus tight end Fred Davis, who received the franchise tag and would bring two No. 1 draft picks if he signs elsewhere.

Dallas has 15 free agents, including quarterback Jon Kitna, who has announced his retirement.

The league took an abnormally long time to release the 2012 cap number, due in part to the fact that the league was trying to decide how to handle the issues, the sources said.

According to the sources, the deductions are not termed as violations, but are part of a recent agreement the NFL and the players' association made to raise the salary cap number while preserving benefit increases and the performance pool.

Comment

Working...
                          X