Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: I'm frigging fed up with getting screwed over!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: I'm frigging fed up with getting screwed over!!!

Rant Warning - Turn back now if you don't want to hear my bitching.

OK, you've been warned....

This is NOT a political post on the border wall itself. I don't care if you agree with it or not and if this thread turns into a debate on whether we should have it or not I'll delete it. The simple fact is that the government has agreed to spend $1.4 billion on 55 miles of new security fencing.

My frustration comes at how, we as tax paying citizens, are being screwed over! We are being charged $4,820.94 for each linear FOOT of fencing!! I've designed prisons and I can honestly tell you that we did not spend $5,000 per foot for the fencing!

Does this piss off anyone else? We have over 10.3 million miles of border with Mexico. At this rate a fence would cost us nearly $50 BILLION!!! This is insane!! There is absolutely no reason this should cost this much!

And before tino says it, I'll say it, they can save a lot of money of they hire a bunch of Mexicans to build it!!

Now that that's out of the way, I really am pissed - and you should be too!! This is more than 10 times what it cost for a high security prison fence. I can only imagine what this thing will cost after the typical overages, delays and additional charges are factored in.

Again, this is not intended to start a debate on whether the wall is a good idea or necessary.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

I don't think that you are talking about a prison fence here Juke. Have you seen the prototypes of the barriers? They are talking about solid structures that go 30 feet deep to deter tunneling. The barriers are not the full length either and will only be built where the border police think that they say where they should go. There also will be a lot of security technology built into them. I don't think that you can put a price on security that can potentially save lives but that's just me.

We did discuss this on the misc. page several weeks ago which of course involved political views too.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

The border isn't 10.3 billion miles. It is being built in remote areas that re difficult to access, and where there are not a deluge of contractors to bid on it. That being said it still sounds high.
      Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Does the gov ever get a good price on anything. Hell they are probably using $2000 hammers.
        Having dealt with lots of contracts in the military I'm pissed every time I hear about gov contracts. Don't recall the prices but we paid a fortune for fences and sensors and cameras around nuc storage areas and that equipment wasn't any better than what you buy on the shelf. So yes the gov is and has been out of control.
        But I do agree with 60 and beagle in that this is pretty fancy fencing that also deters tunneling (I hope) and in remote areas. I think the border is only 2500-3000 miles but I could be wrong
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Not meaning to laugh Juk--- But we are dealing with the Government- and Politicians here---- Don't think this surprises anyone! (or at least it shouldn't)

BTW-- 10.3 Million miles?

Again not to delve into the political here--- but this should even be a question. The issue isn't about the $$$$$$$$$, that is a tiny tiny minuscule part of the budget--- it's the Dem's and the Repubs--- standing their political grounds! This has has nothing to do with money!!!
          Last edited by MDFAN; 02-12-2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            I think the border is only 2500-3000 miles but I could be wrong

From several different "disinterested" sources: The linear distance of the existing border from the Gulf of Mexico in the East to the Pacific Ocean in the West is 1954 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
              Not meaning to laugh Juk--- But we are dealing with the Government- and Politicians here---- Don't think this surprises anyone! (or at least it shouldn't)

BTW-- 10.3 Million miles?

Again not to delve into the political here--- but this should even be a question. The issue isn't the $$$$$$$$$, that is a tiny tiny minuscule part of the budget--- it's the Dem's and the Repubs--- standing there political grounds! This has has nothing to do with money!!!

When are we going to say enough is enough of this political shit? OK, the political mentions STOP right here!!! I just hope that they don't paint it blue with stars on it. I'd much prefer midnight green.

Comment

You guys don’t think our border is 10.3 million miles? Really? OK clearly I need to have coffee before I post! Obviously I confused dollars and miles... sorry.
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                  You guys don’t think our border is 10.3 million miles? Really? OK clearly I need to have coffee before I post! Obviously I confused dollars and miles... sorry.
                  I thought you confused it with the distance from earth to Uranus, which is actually only 1.7 billion miles.
                  Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                    Might have bought it had you been realistic ... like maybe, say 6million.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      [/B]

I'd much prefer midnight green.
                      Make it tall enough to be seen as the humiliated 'puke fans leave their stadium.
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                        Make it tall enough to be seen as the humiliated 'puke fans leave their stadium.
                        Maybe the new technology can be pointed in that direction and vaporize the place.

Comment

I’m sick of tax dollars being wasted. That’s as political as I’m going.

Comment

I would just ask the border patrol who are the experts where they want a fence and build it there. $5k per linear foot sounds like a bargain for a group of people that spend $75 on a crescent wrench.

The politicians need to get out of this and let the border patrol and iCE do its job. ICE is not the bad guy here. They are saving lives on the border. I am sympathetic to immigrants and families but they put their lives at risk walking through open and dangerous country to get here. A wall in some areas might slow that down.

That’s all I’ve got folks.

Other than to say every controversial issue is solvable if they’d just sit around. Table and use some common sense.
                            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                              I would just ask the border patrol who are the experts where they want a fence and build it there. $5k per linear foot sounds like a bargain for a group of people that spend $75 on a crescent wrench.

The politicians need to get out of this and let the border patrol and iCE do its job. ICE is not the bad guy here. They are saving lives on the border. I am sympathetic to immigrants and families but they put their lives at risk walking through open and dangerous country to get here. A wall in some areas might slow that down.

That’s all I’ve got folks.

Other than to say every controversial issue is solvable if they’d just sit around. Table and use some common sense.
                              This is the catch--- It's always political, 24/7 from both the parties!

Comment

Working...
                              X