Parise and Suter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parise and Suter

Reports yesterday indicated that the Flyers placed huge offers with BOTH guys, in the 10-12 year $90-110 million neighborhood. Some reports indicated that the Flyer offers were the most lucrative.

I have to hand it to the old man. He gets some flak in this town, but Ed Snider is always all-in, trying to win. They may make some bad calls, particularly their lack of attention to the goaltending spot, but it's not for lack of trying.

That said, I hope the Flyers don't land either. That's way too much money and way too long-term for two guys who are really good but aren't necessarily franchise cornerstones.

I guess the only thing worse than signing those two guys to those contracts would be if the Flyers don't get any of them and then overpay for either Nash or Bobby Ryan because they feel the need to do something big. That's an equally bad scenario if they include Couturier or Braydon Schenn in a deal for one of those two guys.

So maybe the best thing would be for the Flyers to sign one player, but not both. That way they maybe hang on to the young guys, who I'd much rather keep instead of getting a Rick Nash.

If they can do a package around Matt Read and maybe Jake Voracek for Ryan, great. Would love to see him here. But not for Couturier or Schenn.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Although the offers are out to both, I think if one signs, the other offer is pulled. By the sounds of it though, neither seems to be destined for Philly. If they lose out and still want to go all in, I'd hope they'd go after Weber with a RFA offer rather than trade the young chips for Nash or Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
      Although the offers are out to both, I think if one signs, the other offer is pulled. By the sounds of it though, neither seems to be destined for Philly. If they lose out and still want to go all in, I'd hope they'd go after Weber with a RFA offer rather than trade the young chips for Nash or Ryan.

I can't imagine they would do that in terms of pulling the offer. If you make two offers to separate players who play different positions, you better be damn ready to pay both guys if they accept.

Agree about bidding on Weber, but the Flyer management is tight with Nashville GM David Poile. Poile's father Norman was the first GM of the Flyers. I don't see them blindsiding Nashville with a huge RFA offer the Preds can't match. More likely they work out some kind of deal, IMO.
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Both Parise and Suter blew off the Flyers and went to Minnesota. as much as they would have helped us I have to think not tying up that much cap room is a good thing. The fact that Carle went back to Tampa and Jagr went to Dallas screws us far more IMO. They need to do a lot more than just bring back Fedotenko and signing Gervais. Our blue line defense is going to suck badly next year if they don't find some legitimate help.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
          Both Parise and Suter blew off the Flyers and went to Minnesota. as much as they would have helped us I have to think not tying up that much cap room is a good thing. The fact that Carle went back to Tampa and Jagr went to Dallas screws us far more IMO. They need to do a lot more than just bring back Fedotenko and signing Gervais. Our blue line defense is going to suck badly next year if they don't find some legitimate help.

I am so glad they let Carle go. The man was a human turnover machine, as soft as Charmin defensively. Without Pronger next to him, he was exposed for the middling player he is. 6.5m a year for that many years, that's a Ville Leino contract. Thank God the Flyers didn't pay it.

I will miss Jagr, he's a great guy and true legend of the game. But let's face it, by the end of the season he was running on fumes and offered very little on the ice.

Comment

Working...
          X