Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug likes unheralded ex NFL players as assistants

Another Coaching Update
    Posted: February 8th, 2019 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 122 Comments
    We have some more information on Eagles coaching changes.

Dave Zangaro

@DZangaroNBCS
    The #Eagles are promoting assistant DL coach Phillip Daniels to DL coach, source confirms. (Daniels had been retweeting congratulatory messages.) He'll replace Chris Wilson, who held the job for the last three seasons.

9:12 AM - Feb 8, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    See Dave Zangaro's other Tweets
    This is interesting. The Eagles let Chris Wilson leave and promoted his backup. Why the change?

We don’t know anything for sure at this point. I thought it might be player development. If promoting from within, that wouldn’t make as much sense. It is possible that this is personality driven. Wilson is a former college coach. NFL players are very different than college players. That can lead to issues over time.

As for Daniels…

View image on Twitter
    View image on Twitter

Zach Berman

@ZBerm
    Something else worth nothing: Phillip Daniels is the fourth primary position coach on the staff with NFL playing experience. Pederson, a 14-year pro, has valued this on his staff. Here's what he said on this topic during his first year:

12:10 PM - Feb 8, 2019
    See Zach Berman's other Tweets
    Obviously Doug Pederson places real value in having former NFL players as coaches. These aren’t just star players being given jobs because of their careers. Pederson hires coaches who have paid their dues and who are willing to put in the work it takes to succeed. Being an assistant coach in the NFL is not easy.

Daniels knows the Eagles scheme and the roster. That kind of continuity has value. Now he gets the chance to be the DL coach for a team that believes in focusing on DL play. This is a big opportunity for Daniels.

Brandon Lee Gowton

@BrandonGowton
    Report: Eagles hiring Mike Bartrum to coaching staff https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...source=twitter

10:29 AM - Feb 8, 2019

Eagles reportedly hiring Mike Bartrum to coaching staff
    A blast from the past.

bleedinggreennation.com
    See Brandon Lee Gowton's other Tweets
    Mike Bartrum is another former player. He was a TE and LS during the Andy Reid era.

There is a report out of West Virginia that Bartrum was hired to be the TEs coach. That is not the case. The Eagles already have a TEs coach in Justin Peelle. He’s also an outstanding coach. Beyond that, Bartrum has limited coaching experience. He is trying to get started so he’ll have a lesser job.

In a way, Bartrum could remind Pederson of himself. Bartrum played for Andy Reid, retired and then got into high school coaching. Now he’s moving on to the NFL. Bartrum will start out with a grinder position to learn his way around the NFL and to also get a taste of things. Some love it (Pederson), while other former players realize this just isn’t meant for them.

I think it is good for Pederson to keep adding young coaches to his staff. You must find and develop coaching talent just like you do with players.

I know some people wanted Mike Groh gone or some veteran offensive coach brought in to help.

Pederson has confidence in himself. He has confidence in Groh, who did more in 2017 than I think most people realize. Pederson thinks highly of Press Taylor. Pederson is confident in Duce Staley and Jeff Stoutland and everything they do with the run game.

Carson Walch is now the WRs coach. I don’t know how much he did last year in terms of helping with the gameplan or exactly what’s he’s good at. Walch has been an offensive coordinator before so he should be able to help with some part of the gameplan work.

If the offense does struggle again, you’ll get your changes.

Pederson just doesn’t believe that will happen.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Mike Bartrum is back! Now we’re talking!!!!
    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
      Mike Bartrum is back! Now we’re talking!!!!
      Seriously Spurr, the big stars don't coach. They've already made big money and aren't interested in it. They saw the hours that their coaches put in and don't have a life and say forget it. How long did Dawkins stay around and he really wasn't even a full time coach? Duce was one of the players that got all of his money stolen by a crooked agent who wiped out all of is clients so he needs a job. Singleton is the only star that I can think of who made the big dough and stayed around to coach.

Comment

There are some, Dikta comes to my mind, but I agree most see the grind that coaches put in and realize they have enough money where they don't need that. If teaching (which coaches are) is in their blood they do it at the high school level where they can work with their kids or they help out other coaches. Another name I read recently was Kinne who is back in some capacity.
        Head coaches get to make a staff and they make a name for themselves by the people they pick--sometimes that is a good name and sometimes not. When Andy was hiring I am not sure people were touting how great he was at picking his staff. In retrospect he hired some real good coaches. I hope Doug is doing the same
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          Seriously Spurr, the big stars don't coach. They've already made big money and aren't interested in it. They saw the hours that their coaches put in and don't have a life and say forget it. How long did Dawkins stay around and he really wasn't even a full time coach? Duce was one of the players that got all of his money stolen by a crooked agent who wiped out all of is clients so he needs a job. Singleton is the only star that I can think of who made the big dough and stayed around to coach.
          I was being serious. When I coached high school, our long snapper loved Bartrum. I was impressed that a kid from Canada knew who he was.
          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            There are some, Dikta comes to my mind, but I agree most see the grind that coaches put in and realize they have enough money where they don't need that. If teaching (which coaches are) is in their blood they do it at the high school level where they can work with their kids or they help out other coaches. Another name I read recently was Kinne who is back in some capacity.
            Head coaches get to make a staff and they make a name for themselves by the people they pick--sometimes that is a good name and sometimes not. When Andy was hiring I am not sure people were touting how great he was at picking his staff. In retrospect he hired some real good coaches. I hope Doug is doing the same
            That's the point that I'm trying to make ND. Ditka didn't make huge money when he was playing and Kinne didn't either. They made nice money but not the huge stuff that have been making for the past 20 years. You're forgetting how friekin old we are Bud!

Comment

Do you think stars depend on their athletic ability to be great? The middle of the road players need to work harder on their technique to stay on the field, making them better coaches later on.
              Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Originally posted by beagle View Post
                Do you think stars depend on their athletic ability to be great? The middle of the road players need to work harder on their technique to stay on the field, making them better coaches later on.
                Great point beagle! Also coaching requires you to be a great teacher and just because you were a great player doesn't mean that you have teaching skills.

Comment

Working...
                X