No announcement yet.

Music Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vin - I'm digging the Jenny Lewis - thanks!

I'm seeing Mike Doughty at the TLA on the 15th.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
      They always deliver.
      How did you sneak to the 5th row?
      Heh. My question was more along the lines of "How did you even get tickets?"

I tried to get MSG tix at 10:00 am the minute they went on sale, no dice whatsoever. I miss the days of just letting people camp out at a box office if they were dedicated and crazy enough to want good seats for a big band. I had to work late that night, so I would have happily took the train back to Penn Station, grabbed a quart of coffee, and plopped my ass down on 33rd street for 7 hours.

Nowadays it's all done through randomized ticketmaster, payola freebies, and a smattering of fan website presales which I also seem to miss every time.

Comment

I said it on the Philaphans board (am I allowed to mention it by name? or is there some sort of insulting codename I should use?), but for fans of the Arcade Fire and early, less polished Modest Mouse, I recommend Wolf Parade's "Apologies to the Queen Mary." It was produced by Isaac Brock (lead singer of the aforementioned Modest Mouse). They've also toured with AF and MM. Good, good stuff. Couple of songs here (shine a light is a personal fav):

http://www.insound.com/mp3/mp3s.php?sta ... ype=Artist

About the new Pearl Jam album, I'd have to say while it was better than I expected, it's still not up to their early stuff. It's got this almost fake rawness about it. For me, that band fell apart when they gave Dave Abbruzzese the boot in favor of Jack Irons. I know that they say they became a more cohesive unit with Irons, but Abbruzzese gave the songs a more epic feel. Vitalogy had the last of PJ's standout songs, but even then Vedder was basically trying to make them a punkier, choppier band. He pushed out the groovier Abbruzzese - who is a vastly more talented drummer than Irons, IMO - apparently because he was happy being successful. Shame on him.

Comment

Oh, and I know it was Dave Krusen who played drums on Ten, their best album. But those songs became so much better when Abbruzzese played them, IMO.

Comment

Speaking of drummers, any math rock fans? Don Caballero is back. I haven't heard the new album in its entirety, but what I have heard is solid. Couple of tracks available.

http://shop.relapse.com/artist/artist.a ... stID=10165

They're on tour starting next week. If you can at least tolerate heavier music, I can't recommend seeing them enough. Damon Che is an absolutely unreal drummer. Dates are also available through that link.

Comment

Alright darn it - I'm a fan or Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse and Death Cab. So do I go with nyc's recommendation of Wolf Parade (heard a couple of tunes already and like them) or VFK's Built to Spill?

nyc - I take you to be a harsh critic so a recommendation isn't easy to get from you unless they're good. But didn't you bash Radiohead?

VFK - interests are all over the place so is this my targeted type band? I like Modest Mouse some but love Death Cab.

Hmmmmmm - decisions, decisions

Comment

I've never bashed Radiohead. I've just questioned the undying allegiance of some fans. I in no way think they are bad. They've just never clicked for me in the way that they obviously do for other people. That's all.

Comment

Go with Wolf Parade first. Shorter songs, easier to get into, and might be the slightest bit harder to find (though I'm sure readily available in any Amazon or Tower).

Built to Spill will be waiting for you later, and has like 100 US shows scheduled this fall if you do get addicted.

Comment

In terms of ease to find - I'm downloading just about everything so it shouldn't be a problem.

I will toot the Jenny Lewis horn. Here album although very sedate, is terrific.

I've also been tempted to buy some Belle & Sebastian. Any advice?

Comment

I love Radiohead. They might be #3 on my list.

Ryan Adams
                      Wilco
                      Radiohead
                      Backstreet Boys

Comment

what's the last good thing that ryan adams put out? i mean that in all seriousness. I like him but he was cranking out so much stuff that i couldn't keep up. it was very hit or miss and i just didn't have the patience to sift through it.

Comment

Originally posted by nyc_eagle
                          what's the last good thing that ryan adams put out? i mean that in all seriousness. I like him but he was cranking out so much stuff that i couldn't keep up. it was very hit or miss and i just didn't have the patience to sift through it.
                          Yeah, he releases so much shit that you can't keep up.

HEre's a rundown of his solo career:

1) Heartbreaker - his masterpiece. Must have
                          2) Gold - very good album. only 2-3 unecessary songs
                          3) Demolition - one of my favorite albums. It's a bunch of unreleased songs so there's no consistency to the overall project but Dear Chicago might be in his top 5 great songs.
                          3) Rock N Roll - piece of shit
                          4) Love is Hell - great album/double EP. It's the album he put together and was rejected by the record company cause it wasn't commercial enough. They wanted Rock N Roll instead. See above.
                          5) Cold Roses - good double album but if you took all 10 of the good songs, it'd be a great SINGLE album. (of his latest work, I like this the most).
                          6) Jacksonville City Nights - his COUNTRY album. Good stuff if you're into that.
                          7) Cold Roses - his sad bastard album. Some good tunes out of the 9 but not a must have

Comment

i have heartbreaker and gold.

i love heartbreaker. great, great album.

i'm not too crazy about gold. it's been a while since i've listened to it. maybe i'll give it another go.

it's just a little too polished, a little to pop in places for me. to go from heartbreaker to gold might have turned me off. i think i had trouble appreciating it on its own.

Comment

Get Demolition then... certainly not polished.

And you have his old Whiskeytown stuff?

Comment

My unimpressedness (is that a word) with Whiskeytown back when they were hyped as the next Uncle Tupelo was what made me subsequently ignore all Ryan Adams hype. Seems like a lot of solid votes for Heartbreaker as the one to try?

On the other hand, I have every record Belle and Sebastian ever put out and several bootlegs. Picks? I'd say "If you're feeling sinister" for the earlier sound, and "Dear Catastrophe Waitress" for the newer style. The singles and EPs are almost always their best stuff, though -- if you're downloading anyway, go with "Push Barman to Old Wounds".

Comment

Working...
                                X