Colts Zeroing In On Reich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colts Zeroing In On Reich

Per Schefter. Possible /likely that the Eagles lose him too, in addition to DeFilippo defection to Vikings. Groh, Staley look like probable successors.

Effin’ McDaniels.... Eagles owe Patriots another ass kicking.

On the flip side, happy for them and grateful for their contributions towards this magical run

Reich got a 5 year deal with Indy. I’m happy for him though that franchise is a mess.

Comment

Thanks McDaniels, you bastard.

Comment

Happy for Reich. Happy for Deplippo. Looks like Duce will be the Offensive Coordinator , Press Taylor WR and Groh to QB. Also, a guy like McAdoo could be coming aboard.

Honestly, teams catch up to offenses in the offseason, some fresh blood might be a good thing. Draw up some more Philly Special plays.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Hmmm...

Maybe new Colts HC Reich can take it to the Patriots during the regular season and maybe the playoffs if they make it....

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
            Happy for Reich. Happy for Deplippo. Looks like Duce will be the Offensive Coordinator , Press Taylor WR and Groh to QB. Also, a guy like McAdoo could be coming aboard.

Honestly, teams catch up to offenses in the offseason, some fresh blood might be a good thing. Draw up some more Philly Special plays.
            I’ve also read names like Jim Caldwell too, re: QB coach. I envision the team staying in house for the majority of the vacancies

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post

I want no part of McAdoo. Whatever he brings to the table in terms of offensive ingenuity is more than offset by his creepiness (the hairdoo and beard alone should be disqualifying) and his willingness to throw a steady if fading franchise hero like Eli under the bus when HIS offense went in the toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                I’ve also read names like Jim Caldwell too, re: QB coach. I envision the team staying in house for the majority of the vacancies
                It will be interesting TP. I first thought that Doug would promote from within too but Reid got in trouble doing that. The way that Doug assembled his staff kind of showed that he knows his way around the league. Maybe when you become a head coach you get away from that stuff??? I don't know. I'm guessing that maybe assistant coaches get together at some places and get to know each other (kind of like high school coaching clinics).

In any case I don't want an idiot like McAdoo who can't look in the mirror and figure out that he looks like a moron when he's wearing a tank for a suit.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                  I want no part of McAdoo. Whatever he brings to the table in terms of offensive ingenuity is more than offset by his creepiness (the hairdoo and beard alone should be disqualifying) and his willingness to throw a steady if fading franchise hero like Eli under the bus when HIS offense went in the toilet.
                  Couldn't have said it better myself! Good job tino!
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

T Lawler with some posibilities

Reich to the Colts
                    Posted: February 11th, 2018 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 84 Comments

The next shoe has fallen.

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo
                    Frank Reich will be the Colts’ new coach. Five-year deal with the team has been agreed to and about to be finalized, source says. @espn reported earlier he was the fave.

3:13 PM - Feb 11, 2018
                    1,302 people are talking about this
                    Twitter Ads info and privacy
                    Congrats to Frank. He was a terrific assistant for the Eagles, helping to develop star QBs and build a championship offense.

Doug Pederson now has a major challenge, trying to replace his offensive coordinator and QBs coach. Let’s start by talking about internal candidates.

Many people have asked about Duce Staley moving into the role of OC. I don’t think that is likely. He has never run an offense or had extensive experience with building a gameplan. Staley is highly regarded by the Eagles for his ability to manage his RBs and for his leadership skills. Gameplanning isn’t his area of expertise. Even with the run game, Jeff Stoutland is the one who really puts those plays together and then works with Pederson and the OC.

Staley had a long NFL career and has been a good assistant coach for a while. It is possible that Pederson could feel Staley is ready for the challenge of being the OC. Pederson isn’t afraid to take chances, with his players or staff. I don’t see this as likely, but it certainly isn’t impossible.

Mike Groh was an OC at the college level. He played QB in college and has a good offensive mind. Moving him to OC would be a steep promotion, but after he just did a brilliant job with the WRs nothing is out of the question. As with Staley, this doesn’t feel like a likely move.

If Pederson does decide to move Groh to being the QBs coach, that could affect his thinking on the rest of the staff. If he made Staley the OC, he would be making significant changes to several positions. That doesn’t seem like a wise scenario for a team that wants to compete for another title. You would have a new OC, QB, WR and RBs coach in that scenario. That’s too much movement in my mind.

The more you think about it, the more it makes sense to bring in an outsider to be the OC. Darrell Bevell makes the most sense. He was just let go by Seattle, but did have success there, helping them to win a Super Bowl and just miss out on another. Bevell worked for the Packers from 2000-2005. He worked directly with Pederson from 2001-2004. Bevell then went to the Vikings from 2006-2010, before moving on to Seattle, where he had his most success.

Bevell wouldn’t come here to call plays. He would be here to help design gameplans and to work on whatever specific situations Pederson assigned him (3rd downs for example). Bevell knows Pederson and has plenty of NFL experience.

Mike Shula could be another name of interest. He and Pederson crossed paths with the Dolphins in the early 1990s. Shula struggled to get the Panthers offense to perform at a consistent level, but certainly was creative and did some good things with Cam Newton and that offense. They led the NFL in scoring in 2015.

Todd Downing would be someone to check out, for either OC or QBs coach. He did a great job with Derek Carr in 2015 and 2016. Downing was made the OC in 2017 and the offense struggled. Not all of that is on him, but it appeared play-calling wasn’t his strength. That wouldn’t be an issue in Philly, where Pederson runs the show on Sundays. Downing is a good coach and certainly knows how to prepare for games.

I wonder if John Morton could be a target. He did an excellent job with a very questionable Jets offense this past season, but then was fired at the end of the year. That leaves plenty of tough questions. He has experience working with WRs and could be a possibility for that role if Mike Groh does get the QBs position.

I would give Bevell and Shula an advantage here because Pederson seems to like former QBs for his staff. Bevell was excellent at Wisconsin, but never got a shot in the NFL so he went right into coaching. Shula was good at Alabama and did get an NFL shot, but moved to coaching after just one season.

One thing to keep in mind, Pederson will be looking for the right fit as much as the right resume. Nobody from the NFL was throwing jobs at Reich and Flip when the Eagles hired them. Flip had just gotten fired by the Cleveland Browns (thank you, Hue Jackson)!

These are good problems to have. They are problems, but so much better than “How do I turn 7-9 into 13-3?”.

This is a key time for Pederson. He needs to make the right hires so this team can continue to play at a championship level in the future.

Comment

Well it is too bad to lose both. I thought one may go but thought they would hold onto Flip until they learned Reich's fate. But, so be it. Doug needs to look in his Rolodex and see who is available. I thought Bevell would have been picked up already but it appears his name isn't as high a it once was. I can see Doug going for a former QB
                      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

This shows even more why we need to keep Foles here for next season. Losing our OC and WR Coach is bad. Asking Sudfeld to step up and likely play part of the season while bringing in new staff to work with him is too much at one time IMO. Having a confident and experienced Foles as the backup and likely opening day starter allows Sudfeld to get comfortable with the new staff before his role expands exponentially. Getting the right guys and allowing Sudfeld to grow slowly is key if we are looking at him as the long term backup.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                          Well it is too bad to lose both. I thought one may go but thought they would hold onto Flip until they learned Reich's fate. But, so be it. Doug needs to look in his Rolodex and see who is available. I thought Bevell would have been picked up already but it appears his name isn't as high a it once was. I can see Doug going for a former QB
                          After reading Lawler I first thought of Bevell too but then I read that he called the pass that Butler picked off instead of giving it to Beast Mode in the SB. Pete Carroll has taken the heat for it but Bevell called it. Nobody is breaking down the door to get him either. Then again Hue Jackson fired Flip and look at him now! I wonder if Doug had talked to Flip before hand and Flip thought that he would have had more control over the offense in Minnesota? All of this is above my paygrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                            This shows even more why we need to keep Foles here for next season. Losing our OC and WR Coach is bad. Asking Sudfeld to step up and likely play part of the season while bringing in new staff to work with him is too much at one time IMO. Having a confident and experienced Foles as the backup and likely opening day starter allows Sudfeld to get comfortable with the new staff before his role expands exponentially. Getting the right guys and allowing Sudfeld to grow slowly is key if we are looking at him as the long term backup.
                            In a perfect world I agree Juk. Howie has to look 3-5 years down the road though and he's got to juggle the numbers and develop some lower costing players. I wonder if they have software for that lol? Probably do!

Comment

3-5 years can wait. We are talking about a season that starts in just 7 months. Too much change at one time can set this kid back several years. Look at how long it took Agholor to get his head staight when his new situation overwhelmed him. Sudfeld was drafted in ‘16 and spent a year with Washington. Then he is waived and signs here. It would be nice to allow him some continuity before he is thrust into a starter role for the defending Super Bowl Champs (man I enjoyed writing that!). Anyway my point is that going from being waived by 1 team to starting for the defending Super Bowl Champs (yep, still loved it!) in a 12 month period may be more than the kid can handle. Slow growth for the long term benefits is more important than the draft picks or cap room a Foles trade would bring.

Comment

Working...
                              X