No announcement yet.

If Hood Plays Well What Does this do for Lito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

by the fact that they brought Wynn back, this, I believe, will be an extended injury. maybe even a month or so

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
      Originally posted by IMK
      Originally posted by statler
      Good points but doesn't Lito usually line up against the #1 receiver?
      The Eagles' corners usually play sidelines. Lito plays the left sideline (his left) and Sheldon the right. So it depends on where the #1 lines up, which varies from team to team.
      You are correct.

But the fact that most QBs are right handed you often get more deep passes and the better WR on the right side. Most QBs don't have the arm-strength to throw the deep patterns across their body to the left side.
      Agree and disagree. Deep balls go to both sides when the QB is in the pocket,,,,which is during about 90% of the deep throws. They throw the ball to both sides when in the pocket. What you are prbably talking about is when the QB rolls out or is flushed out. So, then the ball gets thrown based on which side he rolls to. Most right handers roll to the right, so throws at that time will be to the right side wr who is coming back to the ball. Not too many of them are deep.

If you want to know who is better, just watch to see where the #1 receiver lines up. Since the Iggles play LIto and Sheldon on the same side, the opposition will game plan for their matchup. I trust the OC will know a bit more than us on who is the better corner. But, even this wont always tell you the story, since there are style matchups, size matchups, or patterns that receivers run better against certain corners. So, the best way to gauge these guys is by watching film. Stats do not tell the whole story.

I like Brown better because I KNOW he is a better tackler and more physical than Lito. He also doesn't gamble like Lito. But, I have no idea who is the better lock down corner. I'm just glad that they are both very good. Oh yeah, Sheldon's body holds up better too.

IMK, nice stats though.
      Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
        Both are very good, but anyone who thinks we will not miss Lito is foolish IMO....
        I don't think anyone at all has suggested they won't miss Lito. I'm just saying that the dropoff won't be much at starting corner. The dropoff between Hood and Hanson/Wynn at nickel is a canyon.

Comment

Exactly. Our level of play at the #3 CB spot is now frightening. This is a significant concern fellas.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by IMK
            Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
            Both are very good, but anyone who thinks we will not miss Lito is foolish IMO....
            I don't think anyone at all has suggested they won't miss Lito. I'm just saying that the dropoff won't be much at starting corner. The dropoff between Hood and Hanson/Wynn at nickel is a canyon.
            Good point....I am letting my bias for Lito cloud my thoughts...anyway I still cannot stand when people denigrate him and say Hood would be better, but yes this injury is not a good thing and hopefully we can hang in there until he is back...signing Wynn is probably the best they could have done since there are no good CB sitting at home right now...
            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

From recent Brookover article (whatever that's worth)

Some NFL people believe Hood is a better cornerback than Sheppard, who went to the Pro Bowl two years ago. Hood certainly has a lot of confidence and some impressive work to back it up.

According to Pro Football Prospectus 2006, Hood was the third-best cornerback in the NFL last season at stopping pass plays that were targeted in his direction. Teammate Sheldon Brown ranked fourth and Sheppard was 79th. The same publication listed Hood as allowing the fewest amount of yards on passes thrown his way, with a 4.9-yard average. Sheppard ranked 81st in the league with a 10.4-yard average.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I don't think Lito is going to be healthy enough resume his starting duties till at least mid season. At this point I think when Lito comes back he will be eased in as the 3rd corner.

BTW we really need to consider resigning Hood to a starting caliber contract. If not we better be looking at using our 1st round pick on a cornerback
                Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                  From recent Brookover article (whatever that's worth)

Some NFL people believe Hood is a better cornerback than Sheppard, who went to the Pro Bowl two years ago. Hood certainly has a lot of confidence and some impressive work to back it up.

According to Pro Football Prospectus 2006, Hood was the third-best cornerback in the NFL last season at stopping pass plays that were targeted in his direction. Teammate Sheldon Brown ranked fourth and Sheppard was 79th. The same publication listed Hood as allowing the fewest amount of yards on passes thrown his way, with a 4.9-yard average. Sheppard ranked 81st in the league with a 10.4-yard average.
                  Hey Fresh,

You beat me to the punch in commenting about the Brookover article. it was very interesting reading. The other bit of info that caught my attention was this:

Hood covered 6-foot-5 Plaxico Burress, and although he gave up six inches in height, he held the wide receiver to two catches for 34 yards. It was Burress' least-productive day of the regular season.
                  So our anxiety about facing the Giants without Lito should be somewhat alleviated. Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing how he handles the starting role with a week to prepare.

Comment

[quote=Vote for Kalas]
                    Originally posted by IMK
                    Originally posted by "Vote for Kalas":c735e
                    Good point....I am letting my bias for Lito cloud my thoughts...anyway I still cannot stand when people denigrate him and say Hood would be better, but yes this injury is not a good thing and hopefully we can hang in there until he is back...signing Wynn is probably the best they could have done since there are no good CB sitting at home right now...[/quote:c735e]

Understand this - when I say I think Hood is better than Lito, I'm not denigrating Lito at all. I'm saying that I think Hood is better. I'm not trying to say that Lito is overrated (I never thought he was a Pro Bowler, but Pro Bowl selections are so bad overall it's hard to single out Lito), and I'm not trying to say Lito isn't a good corner. I'm saying that I think Hood is better. And I think I've laid out a reasonable case here, that at the very least shows it's not a kneejerk pull-for-the-underdog, philly-fan-bashing-their-own reaction.

Oh, and that Brookover article just shows you that this board give you tomorrow's numbers today.

Comment

Working...
                    X