#90 played Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #90 played Sunday

Marcus Smith played only three snaps, but on one of those, he lost contain and played a big role in allowing the Panthers' longest play of the day. After that series, Smith was on the sideline for the rest of the game.
    Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/20...tEheOlEBYg4.99
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

When he gets cut this spring it will go down as the worst Eagles pick ever. And that is hard to do.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

No way he is worst than Jon Harris or that OT that was a rapist

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
        When he gets cut this spring it will go down as the worst Eagles pick ever. And that is hard to do.
        There are many worse picks than that, unfortunately. But if that's the case he'd be much worse than Mamula.

He looked OK athletically on the few plays he's been in... he covers great and can set the edge, and even had a couple of good pass rushes. I guess it's a question of recognition of plays. That usually comes with experience and the coaches haven't given him *any*. But maybe he's just utterly terrible at that aspect in practice such that the coaches don't want to trust him in games (particularly against Carolina who was a lot less likely to throw, and more likely to expose a rookie, which is what Smith still basically is).

Comment

Guys I hate to break it to you but Harris, Bernard Williams, heck even Leonard Renfro were better right now because they at least got on the field.

This guy is an edge pass rusher on a team that could use another edge pass rusher and he cannot even get on the field and when he did he was almost single handily responsible for a 40 yard gain because he didn't chase the backside correctly.

Marcus Smith so far is unequivocally the worst Birds draft pick ever. He is one of the worst draft picks ever for any team because he is not on the field solely because he sucks. No injuries holding him back. No learning the position because what's to learn really... Just an overmatched kid who should have been a 5th round pick.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Guys I hate to break it to you but Harris, Bernard Williams, heck even Leonard Renfro were better right now because they at least got on the field.

This guy is an edge pass rusher on a team that could use another edge pass rusher and he cannot even get on the field and when he did he was almost single handily responsible for a 40 yard gain because he didn't chase the backside correctly.

Marcus Smith so far is unequivocally the worst Birds draft pick ever. He is one of the worst draft picks ever for any team because he is not on the field solely because he sucks. No injuries holding him back. No learning the position because what's to learn really... Just an overmatched kid who should have been a 5th round pick.
            I'd say thanks Howie, but other than Hicks this group hasn't done squat either.

Comment

[QUOTE=Eagle60;274193]I'd say thanks Howie, but other than Hicks this group hasn't done squat either.[/Q

I know Howie gets the blame for this loser and maybe deservedly so. We'll probably never know with any certainly who was responsible for this pant load being an Eagle. But it does REALLY piss me off.

Comment

Kevin Allen
                Jon Harris
                Danny Watkins maybe
                Leonard Renfro maybe

were all worse than Smith, most likely. Watkins started technically because we had nobody else to play there, but he lost even that because he was worse than the players we were trying to replace. Smith had very, very good players ahead of him last year, to the point they had him practicing at ILB. It is bad -- very bad -- that he's not seeing the field right now, even if he only warrants some rotation in. The odd thing is that he's flashed a tiny bit when he has, which usually gets you a bit of playing time. But I'm guessing he would play if Graham and Barwin got injured, which was basically the situation Watkins had, and some of the other guys who "saw the field". Right now they obviously don't want to go through the growing pains. Maybe they never will.

He's also a late 1st round pick, and we traded back for him. He was pretty much a consensus high 2nd round pick that year -- and pass rushing talent was so in demand that many did think he could get into the late 1st, which he did. He wasn't going to last much longer, for better or worse. Some of those other picks were high 1st round picks, where the expectations are a lot higher.

Going back further, there were other worse picks

Harry Jones
                Leonard Mitchell (looks like he took four years to really see the field, so if we cut him his second season, he probably would have been worse)
                A QB in the 1970s (Reaves)

And of course it's hard to top Jay Berwanger. #1 overall pick, never played a snap. Granted the scouting state of the art was a bit worse in 1936... though the primary reason he never played was he asked for too much money and never gave in

Comment

Unfortunately our franchise has at least a dozen who qualify.

Comment

All good oaks!! Just a shame this sack of crap is an eagle instead of us drafting a guard with that pick.

Comment

He may not have been the biggest bust, but Antone Davis is still the draft pick that angers me the most. Rich Kotite gave up not 1, but 2 first round picks to get this guy. And, Davis was a below average starter for 4 years on a weak offensive line. The Antone Davis pick really set this team back because of the high cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
                        He may not have been the biggest bust, but Antone Davis is still the draft pick that angers me the most. Rich Kotite gave up not 1, but 2 first round picks to get this guy. And, Davis was a below average starter for 4 years on a weak offensive line. The Antone Davis pick really set this team back because of the high cost.
                        He immediately came to mind with me too. Like I said, unfortunately we have a lot of competition for that spot. That QB Reeves out of Miami may have been the biggest bust. Wasn't he the #1 or 2 pick in the whole draft?

Comment

Not opining on their football "prowess", but Kevin Allen was the rapist, not John Harris. Different and much higher level of garbage.
                          Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                          Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Hard to look back and remember just one when you have a landfills worth of shit picks.
                            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
                              My favorite Antone Davis story was Wilber Marshall describing how the Redskins defensive players were fighting in the huddle for who got to line up across from him.

Comment

Working...
                              X