Time for change by the end of this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for change by the end of this week

Keeping in mind our next 6 games are against the Yankees and Red Sox. I hope I'm wrong but I see at best a 2-4 stretch putting them at 36-39. Two things need to happen.

1) Fire Manuel. I know people are saying "Cholly can't help bad pitching" but let's be honest - is Charlie the guy you want managing this team in game 7 of the World Series? No. Is this team responding to Manuel? No. Has Charlie and his managing helped us to win more games than lose more games this season? I say No. So why not start the clock ticking on whomever is Gillick's choice and get the philosophy, style and approach in place?

2) Trade one of the corner outfielders. I think Abreu makes the most sense because Gillick was already shopping him and he'll help a playoff caliber team. Victorino and Dellucci can indeed give us a decent platoon. I know it's not to the level of Abreu but I also think Abreu is a big face of the team that needs to be washed away to start a new and better regime. Who would take Abreu? A team with a big payroll in need of a big bat with pitching to spare. That team? The Angels. They are willing to part with Ervin Santana because both Weavers need to be in the Angels rotation for different reasons. I'd take Santana straight up for Abreu if the Angels paid for all of Abreu's contract. The kid is 23, 7-3 and has a lot of potential. This is the kind of pitcher we need right now.

It's time to turn the page on this team and shake it up.

Hopefully Abreau can have a monster series against the Yankees and they'll overpay for him.

There's no way we're catching the Mets the way both clubs are playing.

Comment

The good news is that we're only 3 games out of the WC.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
        Yeah but leapfrogging half a dozen teams is not easy by any stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
          Originally posted by sfphillyfan
          Yeah but leapfrogging half a dozen teams is not easy by any stretch.
          Yeah, one of those teams will get hot and I'm not going to wager that it'll be us.

Comment

Please let us just suck the rest of the year so Gillick can make the necessary changes. Having us stick around in WC contention til the last week would be horrible IMO. A bit of an overstatement, but you get the idea.

Comment

so far I'm on pace - we're 1-2 and headed to fenway. We'll be 2-4 by the end of the day Sunday and that is when I hope Cholly is kicked to the curb.

Comment

Working...
              X