Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's one of the dumber pieces I've read lately-MMQB

NFL MMQB ON THE NEWS
    Le’Veon Bell May Be Making Less Money With the Jets, But Decision to Sit Out 2018 Was Still Worth It

WHAT PRECEDENT DID ANTONIO BROWN AND LE'VEON BELL SET FOR NFL PLAYERS?
    QUICKLY
    Sure, Le’Veon Bell could have made more money per year had he played under the franchise tag with the Steelers in 2018, but his choice to hold out goes further than the amount of money in his bank account.
    By JONATHAN JONES March 13, 2019
    There’s going to be someone who tries his or her best to explain why it was a waste for Le’Veon Bell to sit out the 2018 season. That person will take his contract details—once official—then pull out a calculator, carry the one and say “a-ha! He actually ended up making less money by sitting out!”

And that person may be right. As hypothetical as it is, there may be genuine, empirical proof that Bell came out of this earning less money in the bank than he would have had he played last season under the $14.5-million franchise tag and gotten paid this week.

There are several reasons why I believe Bell’s decision to sit out last year ultimately to sign with the New York Jets this week for a four-year deal worth up to $52.5 million was worth it.

The first and most obvious one is that there’s no extra year of wear and tear on his body. This is what the guaranteed-money comparisons (and please don’t compare the average-per-year on deals where so few NFL players ever see the life of the contract) fail to account for. Anything could have happened to Bell’s body on the field in the 2018 season that would have wrecked his future earning potential. Yes, he would have pocketed that $14.5 million, but he also would have had no guarantees moving forward.

Bell, who just turned 27 years old, plays a sport in which guys at his position usually fall off around the time they hit 30. But Bell has only played in 62 regular-season games, which doesn’t even equal four full seasons. There’s a very likely scenario in which he plays three years of this four-year deal and then demands another contract at his age 30 season, thus getting a second bite at the guaranteed-money apple.

Secondly, Bell ended up in a place where he can blossom further as a star and entertainer. My colleague Andy Benoit wrote about what he expects Bell to do on the field for the Jets. But Bell will be marketed in the greatest city in the world as the guy who will help the sophomore quarterback take the next step. He’ll surely be part of the new uniform debut this spring.

And he’ll have more opportunities to pursue his rap career. Bell dropped his album “Life’s A Gamble” at midnight on Wednesday, and he seems very serious about this second career. (I actually tried to see Le’Veon perform in Charlotte during All-Star Game Weekend last month. He was scheduled to hit the stage at 10:15 p.m. and after an hour of waiting I figured he would be the classic celebrity no-show. He finally came on after midnight. Wish I had that story for y’all.)

Finally, Bell stood up to an NFL system that’s heavily slanted in favor of the owners—and that has to count for something. If you’re unwilling to give Bell credit for taking this stance for current and future players alike, fine. But that doesn’t mean it didn’t make an impression.

He got tired of being franchise-tagged, and as my colleague Gary Gramling astutely points out, the players union should fight like hell at the next collective bargaining talks to kill it. Teams are now aware that a player is willing to leave money on the table in order to ultimately get what he wants. The rules for how NFL players conduct themselves are clearly changing, and Bell is evidence of that.

If you weigh this in literal dollars and cents, yes, there’s a fairly convincing argument to be made that Bell has emerged with less money. But that still doesn’t mean his plan wasn’t worth it.

Question or comment? Email us at [email protected].

YOU MAY LIKE
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Well I see the guys point... yes he might make less money now but he could make huge money later-- it is a risk he seems willing to take.

Wonder what his signing bonus from the Jets will be?

Comment

I see the point as well. It’s all about guaranteed money. If he played under the franchise tag last year he was only guaranteed 14.5 million. I think he got 35 million guaranteed with this new contract. Now you might say he would have gotten that anyway, but you just never know. Injuries happen. Maybe his play declines. What if he ends up with a degenerative knee issue like Gurley? Nobody gives him that big contract.
      Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Plus he can become a big time rapper

Comment

I find it absurd to argue that sitting out a year saved him wear and tear that will allow him to sit out again in three years and demand a new contract at 30. They are stressing that sitting out 1 year helped him avoid injury but they ignore the greater possibility that he gets injured over the next 3? What the article doesn’t say is that by sitting out and refusing to honor his contract he showed what an asshole he can be and likely turned off other teams that may have entered a bidding war for him this year. It also ignores the idea that demanding another new contract after the shit he pulled this year isn’t going to make anyone eager to resign a 30 year old asshole. He absolutely hurt himself by pulling this shit. The lack of interest in him this year shows that his reputation is deminishing what he does on the field for most teams. Fewer options equals fewer bidders equals fewer dollars. No other way to look at it.
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Kind of a dopey debate in my mind. Of course a guy could get injured; at the same time he could have had the best year of his career. Those could have resulted in getting nothing for his next contract or maybe a fortune for his next contract. All of that is could haves. The only sure thing is that he didn't get paid last year, he hurt his image among some fans and among some team owners/coaches. Can he overcome that? Sure, but he has to work to overcome that and hope he can find someone to give him more money.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
              I find it absurd to argue that sitting out a year saved him wear and tear that will allow him to sit out again in three years and demand a new contract at 30. They are stressing that sitting out 1 year helped him avoid injury but they ignore the greater possibility that he gets injured over the next 3? What the article doesn’t say is that by sitting out and refusing to honor his contract he showed what an asshole he can be and likely turned off other teams that may have entered a bidding war for him this year. It also ignores the idea that demanding another new contract after the shit he pulled this year isn’t going to make anyone eager to resign a 30 year old asshole. He absolutely hurt himself by pulling this shit. The lack of interest in him this year shows that his reputation is deminishing what he does on the field for most teams. Fewer options equals fewer bidders equals fewer dollars. No other way to look at it.
              never say never, when rich billionaires are involved, but he pulls his shit again and there will be another colusion case. I don't think he gets signed if he pulls that shit
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

1. 35 million in pocket plus salary.
                2. Fact is he did save a year of punishment on his body. (not some small thing)
                3. He is betting on himself-- granted a risk-- but that was his choice to make.
                4. If he performs he WILL in fact earn another bite at the apple--again risk but his choice!
                5. Nothing is for sure- coulda played last year and gotten hurt and gotten nothing!
                6. Asshole? Maybe, but anybody really think teams won't pay him when he is 30--- if he plays well?

His choices, his risks, his future---- betting on yourself? I admire that a bit. Especially since he will be the only one hurt if it doesn't work out.

Comment

I think there will be more players that will sit out when they are franchised. Hopefully Lawrence in Dallas this year. They have a bunch of guys that they have to sign to extensions and I don't think Lawrence is high on the list of priorities.
                  Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

I've said forever that I don't get why getting franchised is such a bad deal. It's a 1 year deal for a fortune. Most deals give the guy a big bonus and they get paid the minimum for the first year anyway. The only guy who benefits is the agent as far as I'm concerned. I really think that the rule was put in to keep QBs from jumping ship and playing for another team.

Comment

Working...
                    X