Are we rebuilding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we rebuilding?

The Birds are amassing more money than they can spend, and more draft picks than they can use. Is Donnie Mac next? If indeed the Birds are "going for it" this year, draft day had better be very interesting.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I do think we are still in that "at what age do we get rid of players" mode that can cost us a title. But they are not really rebuilding.

what worries me is that they have known Runyan, Tra, and Dawk were all getting old and their drafting of possible replacements over the years has been pretty off. Justice sucks. Considine sucked. I have my doubts on Demps. Herremans has ability but is a clown that misses meetings.

I am worried about safety. I really do not like Leonhard. Sanders is OK and would be an upgrade over Demps. I'm kind of hoping we sign him and draft a safety on day one of the draft.

I really want Tony Gonzales on this team. IMHO he would add some of the spark and fire we just lost in Dawk. But now I worry TG will want to stay in KC

Comment

The defense has been rebuilding for the past couple years. I would argue that Free Safety was probably the last of the positions that they wanted to turn over (notice I didn't say need). They want to get somebody who can cover better at the free safety position. They'll continue to add to the defense but I think you are going to go through some years now with Cole/Bunkley/Patterson/Ambraimi/Bradley/GoCong/Jordan/Samuel/Brown/Mickell/Demps as the starters with others like Laws,Smith,Hanson and such playing big roles

Offensively we are two years behind the Defense. They have started with the offensive line who pretty much overnight has went from averaging 29.5 years old to 26 years old. The five starters will most likely be Heremens,Cole,Jackson,Andrews and Andrews with Jackson being the oldest at 28. The "backups" are all players under 28 years old
      The next thing on offense will be the running back position we will go from 30 year old Buchalter to a rookie that will be between 20-22 years old. Receiver will probably get younger with Lewis most likely gone probably being replaced by a younger rookie reciever. Tight End, we will go from 29 yr old Lady Jane to 25 year old Celek plus most likely a draft pick there also. Quarterback is interesting, McNabb is here and I see him here for at least two more years, will they just allow McNabb to leave like Dawkins? Will they trade him next year? They have to resign Kolb at some point if they think he is the man.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

The Eagles have been rebuilding since the Superbowl. I thought that was obvious. Last year's playoff run marked the arrival of the next Eagles team, with McNabb the only holdover.

Comment

There are like 5 guys from the Superbowl team left.

Comment

Originally posted by IMK View Post
            The Eagles have been rebuilding since the Superbowl. I thought that was obvious. Last year's playoff run marked the arrival of the next Eagles team, with McNabb the only holdover.

Last year's playoff run was unexpected and somewhat fluky. It reminded me a lot of the Rams NFCCG.

The problem I see is that while that team was on the rise with EVERYONE getting better, this team has 2 of (or maybe the only 2 great players) on the decline: westbrook and McNabb.

I give Westy and Dmac about 2 years left before they're through.

So if that happens, we have a young defense going into their prime in the 2011 season while our star QB and RB are done. Bad timing.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
              Last year's playoff run was unexpected and somewhat fluky. It reminded me a lot of the Rams NFCCG.

The problem I see is that while that team was on the rise with EVERYONE getting better, this team has 2 of (or maybe the only 2 great players) on the decline: westbrook and McNabb.

I give Westy and Dmac about 2 years left before they're through.

So if that happens, we have a young defense going into their prime in the 2011 season while our star QB and RB are done. Bad timing.
              I won't rule out McNabb playing well for a few more years. Look at guys like Warner and even Collins this year. You can't count out aging QBs. Westbrook likely only has a couple years left, but two years is plenty of time to find a suitable replacement. 2011 is a long way off, really. The Eagles will have three drafts between now and then. That's an eternity.

Do you really consider the 2001 playoff run fluky?
              Last edited by IMK; 03-01-2009, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Not rebuilding. McNabb is still at the helm, he gives them a shot at a championship every year. The young defense should continue to improve.

With some solid moves on offense, they're back in contention next year, IMO.
                Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Yes.. yes we are, and I agree mostly with IMK... we have been doing that for a while. Dawk, Thomas, Runyan, LJ, Lito all gone. Most of our WR's are very young. Our soon to be all new OL is fairly young. Our DL is young with the exception of Howard. Our linebackers are young... really #36, and #5 are the only holdouts on the O. Doo doo is the only holdout on the D.

I'm sure the FO won't bring in anyone for #5 this year because they want him to go, and Kolb to step in. They just don't want to cut McNabb loose, and take the wrath of the fans... kinda like they did with Dawk. I know I know it's a business yada yada...

Comment

As taz and IMK state, we've been rebuilding while still being on contention every year since 2004. It is a very difficult process, but a necessary one to maintain/extend the run and work within the FA, draft & cap system the NFL has set up.

The Eagles have done overall a very good job, ST has been almost completely turned over and the defense has been allocated alot of resources to bring it back to a high level.

The offense is in the next stage of rebuilding with LJ, Runyan, possibly Thomas and Buck moving on. I expect a good chunk of the resources going here the next few years and yes replacing McNabb/Westbrook and the OL will be the primary challenges. Kolb is here and other options could be brought in in conjunction with either a trade of McNabb or a bridge situation until his contract is up. Same with Westbrook, I expect several RB to be added over the next 2 years to support him, but also to eventually step in when his effectiveness slides too much.

This is the reality of the NFL and every team is dealing with it. Why is Denver adding 9 FA this year? Because they had massive holes and the solutions they had tried before now had failed. They have missed the playoffs 3 straight seasons--something the Eagles have never done under Reid--and changes are being made. If they had managed the rebuild better, Shanny might still be the coach and so much change might not have been needed.
                    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I won't rule out McNabb playing well for a few more years. Look at guys like Warner and even Collins this year. You can't count out aging QBs. Westbrook likely only has a couple years left, but two years is enough time to find a suitable replacement. 2011 is a long way off. That's three drafts worth of player development away.

Do you really consider the 2001 playoff run fluky?

Warner has a quick release and is accurate. Collins -- not sure what to say about Collins. I guess he sobered up and is smarter than we gave him credit for. He played like a wiley veteran last year.

I don't think McNabb is as smart as Warner or Collins. The guy can't make decisions in the clutch. And his accuracy is legendary (in how bad it is.) And seriously, maybe other people see something different but to me, McNabb (hellllo wonderlic) is not too bright. But that's another discussion.

Anyway, I don't think 2001 was fluky. It was unexpected. I meant last year was unexpected as well. (although fluky.)

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                        Warner has a quick release and is accurate. Collins -- not sure what to say about Collins. I guess he sobered up and is smarter than we gave him credit for. He played like a wiley veteran last year.

I don't think McNabb is as smart as Warner or Collins. The guy can't make decisions in the clutch. And his accuracy is legendary (in how bad it is.) And seriously, maybe other people see something different but to me, McNabb (hellllo wonderlic) is not too bright. But that's another discussion.

Anyway, I don't think 2001 was fluky. It was unexpected. I meant last year was unexpected as well. (although fluky.)
                        I didn't think 2001 was unexpected at all after they won 11 games with a playoff win in 2000. Heck, they were a widespread Superbowl pick in 2001.

I don't think a quarterback with legendarily bad accuracy would be a very good one. I think you're drastically underrating McNabb's abilities. He had one of the best runs of his career down the stretch last year. I see his decision making getting better, not worse. And experience can do wonders to make up for a lack of raw intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ike View Post

I'm sure the FO won't bring in anyone for #5 this year because they want him to go, and Kolb to step in. They just don't want to cut McNabb loose, and take the wrath of the fans... kinda like they did with Dawk. I know I know it's a business yada yada...
                          Are you really saying the Eagles would deliberately sabotage a season so they can media spin letting McNabb go?

That might be one of the most cynical things I ever read here...plus they already signed Andrews as our new RT. The organization has no obligation to "bring in guys" for McNabb. Their obligation is to field the best team possible every year.

How did the Eagles "cut" Dawk loose? He was a FA that decided it was in his best interest to take an offer from another team. The wrath of the fans is understandable since Dawk played so well here for so long and became the face of the franchise, but again if people really use their brains they will also understand Dawk made this choice too and was not forced out by any stretch.
                          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Whether DMac stays or goes, neither would surprise me, especially with a nearly-complete changing of the guard with the departing of some of the older vets. I don't think that they're going to offer McNabb as long a deal as he wants, but at the same time, I think that the Eagles believe that DMac is still the better choice at QB than Kolb. So it'll be a trip to see how it turns out. After two years in the league, KK should have enough grooming to start, if that's how the Eagles plan to use him.
                            "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                            — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                            - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

I didn't think 2001 was unexpected at all after they won 11 games with a playoff win in 2000. Heck, they were a widespread Superbowl pick in 2001.

I don't think a quarterback with legendarily bad accuracy would be a very good one. I think you're drastically underrating McNabb's abilities. He had one of the best runs of his career down the stretch last year. I see his decision making getting better, not worse. And experience can do wonders to make up for a lack of raw intelligence.

Like I said, how good DMac is is for another thread.

I'm just saying 5 is on the downside of his career and while older QBs can get it done in this league (Warner, Collins), the odds are against it, especially an injury prone QB (yes folks, just because you last a season without an injury doesn't mean you're not injury prone) who has accuracy problems and is none too bright.

Also, not only is 5 on the downside, Westbrook, who some would argue is even more important than 5, took a HUGE dropoff towards the end of last year. I hope Westy rebounds but all signs point to him being done after a couple more years. 1) because he's injury prone and 2) we all know the stats on RBs after they hit the wall.

I fear for our offense as those two decline, even as the younger offensive players get better.

As for 2001, I had high hopes just like everyone else, but I didn't really expect us to be within a ND Kalu fingernail of beating the Greatest Show on Turf.

Comment

Working...
                              X