Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chung or Coleman?

Eagles Notes: Safety Wolff sits out practice again

One day after Earl Wolff expressed optimism about returning to the field against the New Orleans Saints on Saturday, the Eagles safety remained an observer in Wednesday's practice because of a lingering knee injury.

Wolff said he thinks he will practice on Thursday, although that practice is a walk-through. The Eagles will practice again Friday.

Either way, it's not a good sign for the rookie safety.

"Earl has to practice if he's going to play," coach Chip Kelly said. "He's got to get out there at some point in time."

More coverage
    WATCH: Inexperienced Eagles set for playoffs
    VOTE: Which is Linc's most exciting playoff game?
    POLL: Which Saint poses the Eagles' problem for the Eagles?
    Video: House money for the Eagles?
    Get the latest football news with our mobile apps
    Watch: Eagles get ready for Saints' weapons
    Buying tickets? Make sure you get a good view

Patrick Chung is the starter with Wolff absent, but don't be surprised if Kurt Coleman also plays on defense. Chung has struggled at times in recent weeks - the coaching staff has admitted as much - and Coleman rotated with Chung before suffering a hamstring injury Dec. 15.

Coleman returned to the field in Sunday's win over Dallas but played only on special teams.

"I just want to help out this team any way I can, but we'll have to wait and see," Coleman said. "I prepare myself every week as a starter. We'll see how things go. I wish nothing but the best for Pat. We need him to step up and be big."

Safety Colt Anderson returned to practice Wednesday. He expects to play in Saturday's wild-card playoff game at Lincoln Financial Field. Anderson would bolster the Eagles' special teams.

Offensive lineman Julian Vandervelde remained out with a back injury.

Experience an issue?

Kelly has said that the Eagles have played in high-pressure games ever since they were 3-5. Last week's win in Dallas was like a playoff game because of its win-and-in nature. Still, the Eagles lack significant playoff experience, especially compared to the Saints.

The Eagles have 22 players on the active roster who have appeared in a playoff game. The Saints have 35 players with postseason experience. Kelly said the value of experience will be determined by who wins.

"If we lose, we were inexperienced. If we win, then there will be another story," Kelly said. "We are concerned with how do we prepare to play a really good Saints team, and that's all we can really be concerned with."

The great outdoors

The Eagles have been practicing outdoors all week. It could help them acclimate to the weather for Saturday's game, when the temperature is expected to be in the 20s.

That was not Kelly's rationale. The coach prefers to practice outdoors, where the Eagles have more space. They practiced indoors last week before the Cowboys game.

"Whatever the weather is like and if we can get out, we want to get out," Kelly said. "There's some times when it's going to snow or rain, or reportedly snow or rain - we got duped one time. But we try to get out if we can get out."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...1RMVTsKTwEj.99
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

That article was from yesterday, wasn't it?

Today Wolff was listed as a "full participant" although it's hard to say what that means since today was just a walk-through. Wolff was quoted as saying his knee feels better today than it has since before he was injured, and that it's up to the team and team doctors if he plays on Sunday.

I'm still mind-boggled by this whole injury. I still don't have a clue that it is besides "a knee injury." They say there's no structural damage to the knee. But what kind of knee injury that isn't structural in nature causes a guy to miss this much time. Seems very unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
      That article was from yesterday, wasn't it?

Today Wolff was listed as a "full participant" although it's hard to say what that means since today was just a walk-through. Wolff was quoted as saying his knee feels better today than it has since before he was injured, and that it's up to the team and team doctors if he plays on Sunday.

I'm still mind-boggled by this whole injury. I still don't have a clue that it is besides "a knee injury." They say there's no structural damage to the knee. But what kind of knee injury that isn't structural in nature causes a guy to miss this much time. Seems very unusual.
      I thought that his knee was destroyed when it happened. Those ligaments had to be stretched quite a bit. It takes time Chris.

Comment

8 weeks to heal and regain strength is not out of thw question and saves him for next year. I can't beleive I am saying this, but I'd rather watch Coleman get run over trying than watch Chung whiff and miss or hit our guy instead.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
          8 weeks to heal and regain strength is not out of thw question and saves him for next year. I can't beleive I am saying this, but I'd rather watch Coleman get run over trying than watch Chung whiff and miss or hit our guy instead.
          I remember this past summer when we all thought that Chung was the one guy that we could count on.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            I thought that his knee was destroyed when it happened. Those ligaments had to be stretched quite a bit. It takes time Chris.
            OK, that would make sense. I've just never heard them describe it as a "ligament strain." It's always just a generic "knee injury". I guess a "ligament strain" isn't considered "structural in nature."

Comment

This thread could be titled:

Crap or Turd?

Comment

I'd rather see Coleman if Wolff can't go. I know Coleman has his own issues out there, but at least he has made some plays over the last few years, and he will come in and stick someone. Neither is a great choice, but I have more confidence in Coleman than Chung.
                Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

Comment

Oddly - i say this with much thought - I'd go Coleman.
                  Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                  Playoff Appearances:
                  NFC Title Games:
                  Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
                    I'd rather see Coleman if Wolff can't go. I know Coleman has his own issues out there, but at least he has made some plays over the last few years, and he will come in and stick someone. Neither is a great choice, but I have more confidence in Coleman than Chung.
                    I think the Birds are leaning that way too Theo with the official word coming out that they will split time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ike View Post
                      This thread could be titled:

Crap or Turd?
                      How about who's #2 ?
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Wolff Questionable For Saturday

By Sheil Kapadia | January 3, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Eagles safety Earl Wolff is listed as questionable for the team’s Saturday night playoff matchup against the New Orleans Saints.

Wolff told Birds 24/7 Thursday that his knee was improving.

“I just know that it felt a lot better today than it did before. They kind of recorded me moving around a little bit, doing some functional stuff, and it didn’t bother me,” he said.

“It was football activity, basically like what I would go through in a game, and it didn’t really bother me. Of course I felt it a little bit –I’m going to feel it a little bit — but it’s nothing that’s going to hold me back.”

If Wolff can’t go, it’ll be Patrick Chung teaming up with Nate Allen. Kurt Coleman could get a look too. Even if Wolff does dress, it’s likely that he’ll be used as part of a rotation.

Meanwhile, backup center Julian Vandervelde (back) has been ruled out. Should Jason Kelce suffer an injury, Evan Mathis would take over at center.

The following Eagles are probable: safety Colt Anderson (knee), WR Jason Avant (shoulder), CB Brandon Boykin (hip) and LB Mychal Kendricks (knee).

THREE ALL-PRO NODS

Three Eagles were named first-team All-Pros today by the Associated Press: RB LeSean McCoy, OT Jason Peters and OG Evan Mathis.

McCoy and Peters both made the Pro Bowl. Mathis did not. Instead, he earns the more exclusive honor.

McCoy was a first-team All-Pro selection in 2011. This is his second honor. Peters is now a five-time All-Pro. This is the second time he’s earned first-team honors.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                          How about who's #2 ?
                          Sounds like an answer to a Jeopardy question!

Comment

I'd have say Chung. Coleman is a guy that will let blow a coverage and give up a big TD. I have zero confidence in him. Chung might not make every tackle but at least he's in the right spot plus he was good enough for Belichek at one point so that's good enough for me.
                            Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Dumb question... Did Wolff play at all yesterday??????

Comment

Working...
                              X