observations from Pre Season Game 2 Patriots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• observations from Pre Season Game 2 Patriots

Well that was a buzzkill or really was it? Its preseason, only 12 starters who started in the Super Bowl started for us in that game. No game planning etc. So lets not get too up or down for this game. Honestly, I watched the game on TIVO as I was at the debacle of a Phillies 24-4 loss. So I was able to really stop and go back and watch some things.

1. Big V. had his worst game I have seen him play. He simply could not handle Clayborns speed at all. Not sure what to think of Big V. dude started on a Super Bowl winning team and played excellent. This is somewhat concerning to me. I get its the preseason but that was just a horrible performance. Even when he was playing later in the game he didn't look so hot. Maybe he is hurt and we don't know it. But he really looked bad. Got Nick hurt and the thing is if Nick gets that ball off Wallace had Gilmore beat down the sideline by several yards could have been a big play.

2. The injuries are really starting to pile up. I think the Eagles should be looking to bring in a Vet WR and RB this week. I also would look at bringing in another Vet DT. Depending on how hurt Rodgers is they may need another Tight End (Hello Brent how you doing).

3. I thought Sudfeld played really well. He drove them down the field against their 1st team defense & 2nd team defense and put 20 points on the board. Threw for over 300 yards and had 3 Td's. I know that the "had an Interception" but man that was not his fault at all. Matt Jones BTW should be let go today.

4. The penalties right wrong or indifferent are really starting to hurt this team. Let's take the fact that the NFL seems to be honing on Eagles as examples for the helmet rule, they still had 7 other penalties in the game. The Helmet rule is going to determine the outcome of many games this year. Its nowhere near consistently called and honestly is the worst rule they have ever come up with. I don't understand how its called in one instance but not another.

5. Shelton Gibson looks like this teams 4th receiver, Mack Hollins really had not shone me much over the past year plus. Gibson's route running greatly improved but his speed is something that really complements the other receivers on this team.

6. I think the young defensive backs (Maddox & Jones) are really playing well. The defensive line is not getting much pressure so its hard to play DB but I saw many passes broken up and two guys staying with their receivers almost like glue. Now Maddox did get beat for a TD and Jones did get beat a few times but overall they both are playing very well.

7. Josh Sweat looks like a real find. He is really quick off the ball, New England is not a good team to judge sacks against because of their quick passing game but he was in the backfield a ton.

8. Doug looked really pissed at halftime last night. Interesting enough the Eagles came out and played much better in the second half. I would expect a much better performance against the Browns next week.

Question if Foles is more seriously hurt than let on, who starts game one? Could we really be faced with Sudfeld starting and Hackenberg as the backup.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

I agree that Matt Jones should be gone. Smallwood, too. Maybe they are trying to work a trade for Smallwood but based on 2 games, I don't see a market for him for more than a couple of lightly used tissues from the cheerleader thread.

Foles was uninspiring for the time he was in. He simply looked like he had no confidence reacting to pressure in the pocket or with his throws. Simply not the same guy we saw in Jan/Feb.

At this point I would rather a confident Sudfeld game 1 than the Foles I saw last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
      I agree that Matt Jones should be gone. Smallwood, too. Maybe they are trying to work a trade for Smallwood but based on 2 games, I don't see a market for him for more than a couple of lightly used tissues from the cheerleader thread.

Foles was uninspiring for the time he was in. He simply looked like he had no confidence reacting to pressure in the pocket or with his throws. Simply not the same guy we saw in Jan/Feb.

At this point I would rather a confident Sudfeld game 1 than the Foles I saw last night.
      I am not that concerned about Foles. Other than Ertz he really had no one to throw to and his offensive line was not ready for the blitzing that New England did. He never really seemed to play well in the pre season.

I think the RB position is set. Sproles, Ajayi, Clement and Adams (unless his injury gets him on IR) then maybe a street RB comes in. I don't think Smallwood or Pumphrey make this team.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Agreed: Jones, Smallwood and Pumphrey should be out.

You never know whether you get the good Nick or bad Nick. His career has been as inconsistent as you can get. But, he seems to be a gamer when it counts. I would rather have a winner than a guy who loses but looks good. Is Sudfeld a winner ? IDK. He did not really win much in college. But, it was Indiana.

Comment

Only saw look ins of the game but a couple of comments.
          Nick is a good BUT NOT great QB. SB MVP or not that shouldn't be a surprise. A whole lot of Nick's run last year was game planning and the team was very tight. He didn't have the luxury of game planning and the team isn't set. I do worry about shoulder issues with him though; he had problems with that last TC.
          I'm okay with Sudfeld. I think he would be one of the top #2 QBs in the league and surely has to be the best #3. Not sure I want him as the starter but I would be okay with a game or two to see what he has.
          Not sure about Rogers but I think someone who is already in TC can be #3 TE. Wouldn't spend much to bring someone in unless things got worse.
          The RBs are set I would think and the other three RBs will never be more than a #4 or 5 RB on a team. Keep em as camp bodies and let them go when needed but they won't be making any noise for the Eagles this year.
          Maybe the league will take a step back and cancel the helmet rule before the season starts. They will have all these preseason game tapes and they can take a year to relook at the rule to refine it. Who am I kidding. They will play with it through the year and people will hate it.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

"A whole lot of Nick's run last year was game planning and the team was very tight. He didn't have the luxury of game planning and the team isn't set"

Bingo !! Nick is a great guy and I appreciate what he does. But, he needs a good system and supporting cast. If he has that, he can flourish and he won't make mistakes and lose the game for you.

From a pure talent perspective, Wentz and Nick are night and day. That is why Wentz is our starter with no second guessing.

I also think as the season goes on, Howie's trade demands for Nick drop pretty drastically. Howie is being smart right now and riding the super bowl win with Nick. The value can only go down though IMO.

Comment

I just finished watching about 3 periods that took me over 3 hours with rewinds so I thought that I'd add a few things because all of you saw what I saw and we saw it all the same and there's no reason to repeat any of it.

There were a few good surprises. On offense I thought Seumalo did a nice job. He called a good game and also blocked really well. His snaps were also fine (Most of this was when I really concentrated on him was against second teamers though) The couple of plays I saw against starters he kind of had stalemates. Pryor was a friekin stud in the game and really kicked ass! He was dominate. I thought Hart was pretty inconsistent as our #2 RT. I think that he'd get eaten alive against the starters. The guy who really surprised me was Carter (never heard of him). He started the game and drew 2 PIs when he had his man beat. One was on a long pass down the sideline and another in the endzone where he had his man beaten badly but was tripped. He also caught a nice pass on a crossing route. Who knows? Maybe he makes the team? Good showing for him anyway and he could catch on someplace else or make the PS. It seemed like the Birds really wanted to see if Aiken could do something and he couldn't. You could see that he's a retread. I'm glad that Jones looked lousy because who wants a fumbler to make your team anyway? Goedert had two chances to make TDs in the endzone and got outmuscled on both of them and that pissed me off! You certainly expect your first pick to make at least one of those if he's the star that I've been reading about everyday. He made those catches in college but this is the NFL kid.

On defense if anybody was thinking of trading Darby they had better think again because that would be crazy. He's a baller. I'm still waiting to see all of these CBs that Gowton already has in Canton because they all looked really mediocre to me. I hope that Ngata is just doing the "vet cruising through TC thing" because he really just kind of looked like a big fat guy taking up space.

Finally, man is this new helmet rule going to screw the game up or what? You saw the bullshit too!
              Last edited by Eagle60; 08-18-2018, 03:33 PM.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I know this is an odd mention, but Shittu has really shown up in both games. Better than Hector imho. DT is a deep group and we’ll be releasing some talent for sure. Qualls not too impressive

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                  I know this is an odd mention, but Shittu has really shown up in both games. Better than Hector imho. DT is a deep group and we’ll be releasing some talent for sure. Qualls not too impressive
                  I don't know that I would call it deep so far Dawk but other than Cox they all look the same. Haven't really seen anything from Ngata or Bennett yet. About the only guys that you can really evaluate are the skill players anyway IMO. Oh well, it's just preseason and but it's football.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                  X