Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeAndre Carter is being noticed

DeAndre Carter continues to fight to keep his dream alive

When Eagles wide receiver DeAndre Carter steps onto the football field, you can’t help but notice the 25-year-old’s focus and resolve. Part of it has to do with the chip on his shoulder from various teams discarding him over the years.

The other part of it has to do with a promise he made to his late brother Kaylan.

“I had a younger brother pass away while I was in college,” Carter said. “I made him a promise that I would make it in the league, because that was both of our dreams. I made him a promise that I would make it in the league, and I don’t feel like I’ve made it yet.”

Despite leading the FCS in receptions (99), receiving yards (1,321) and receiving touchdowns (17) as a senior, the 5-foot-8, 190 pound receiver found himself on the outside looking in as the 2015 NFL Draft drew to a close. Thrust into a vast pool of undrafted free agents, Carter found a landing spot in the Baltimore Ravens, where he had the brief opportunity to learn from future Hall of Famer Steve Smith:

“The biggest thing I took from Steve was his approach, his mentality towards the game,” Carter said. “Being undersized, it’s a knock at the receiver position a lot of the time, but if you go out there with the competitive spirit – you’re not taking nothin’ from anybody – you can still be a Hall of Fame receiver and be 5’9″.”

After being released by the Ravens in late August, Carter spent time on the Oakland Raiders practice squad for most of the 2015 season before being released in early December. Carter wouldn’t stay unemployed for long, and was signed to the New England Patriots practice squad two weeks later. Carter spent the 2016 training camp with the Patriots, before becoming a casualty on cut-down day.

After sitting out the entire 2016 NFL season, Carter signed with the San Francisco 49ers on Feb. 27, 2017. After failing to make San Francisco’s 53-man roster, Carter was signed to their practice squad on Sept. 3, 2017, where he spent the entire 2017 season. After a season of development, Carter appeared poised to finally make the leap from the practice squad to the 53-man roster. His plans got derailed, however, when the 49ers released him on May 15, 2018.

Carter became a member of the Philadelphia Eagles on July 28, 2018. Tasked with learning a new playbook and verbiage that late in the summer would normally be a challenge to even the most seasoned veteran – but not DeAndre Carter.

Carter impressed his teammates and coaches alike with his ability to process information quickly, and his ability to regularly create separation with his quickness and decisive route running. In fact, Carter would get so open early in camp that it would frustrate some of the defensive backs.

“Ooooh-wee!” Carter taunted as he blew past cornerback Rasul Douglas on a pass pattern during a practice earlier this month.

Douglas didn’t like that.

Carter carried his momentum into the Game 2 matchup against the New England Patriots – a team that released him multiple times.

Unlike the week before against Pittsburgh, Carter made a surprising early entrance into the game, joining Mike Wallace and Bryce Treggs in three-wide sets early in the first quarter. He would make the most of his opportunity, hauling in three catches for 48 yards on the night. He led all receivers with 44 snaps (56% of the offensive snaps). His performance on Thursday night had a lot of Eagles fans asking, “Who is DeAndre Carter?”

Carter appears to have ascended up the depth chart, and is very much in the conversation for the sixth wide receiver spot.

“They told me to go in and I was ready to go,” Carter told me. “I don’t really worry too much about what quarter or when it is. When they tell me to go in, I go in, and try to execute my job at the highest level.”

With Alshon Jeffery, Mike Wallace, Nelson Agholor, Shelton Gibson and Mack Hollins locks on the 53-man roster, Carter finds himself in a heavily contested battle with Kamar Aiken, Greg Ward Jr. and Rashard Davis for a potential sixth spot. Bryce Treggs was also in contention, but injured his hamstring on Thursday and is out for the remainder of the preseason.

With two games left to go in the preseason and plenty of talent at the wide receiver position, Carter is going to have to make every snap count.

“Go out and execute my role on offense, on special teams, and do whatever the team needs me to do for us to get the win,” Carter said when asked about his approach over the next two games. “I’m trying to go out there and put my best foot forward, trying to make this team. It also comes down to making plays when the ball comes to me, blocking well in the run game, and doing my job on special teams.”

Carter is hitting his stride at the right time, and his consistency in practice is earning the coaches trust. While injuries have plagued the receiving corps this summer, it has created an opportunity for someone like DeAndre Carter to flash in the preseason. As is always the case with depth players looking to crack a 53-man roster, Carter will have to perform well on special teams. If Carter can prove himself to be an asset to Dave Fipp’s unit, he may very well have the inside track to the coveted final spot.

“I’m going to keep going until I make it in the league, and try to be great in this league,” Carter said. “You know, try to put up numbers, help win Super Bowls, and help the team win as much as possible. Until I’m able to do that – and become the player that I know I can be – I’m always going to continue to fight, continue to fight, continue to fight to make teams.”

If DeAndre Carter continues to fight to keep his dream alive, this may be the year he fulfills his promise to his younger brother.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Gotta love that work ethic and attitude!! I hope he makes the team and makes us all love him!
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
      Gotta love that work ethic and attitude!! I hope he makes the team and makes us all love him!
      It does seem strange that he hasn't' stuck anyplace before though. It's not like the places that he played were loaded with wrs. Maybe his size worked against him when it came to final cuts?
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Certainly says the right things. As you say though he has had more than a couple of opportunities and didn't make it. However, right time right place and you never know.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Working...
        X