The Cuts Have Begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cuts Have Begun

G.J. Kinne is among the first victims of Eaglesroster cuts. The Eagles on Friday afternoon told the undrafted quarterback he would be released by Saturday, according to a league source.

NFL teams must reduce their rosters from 75 to 53 by 4 p.m. Saturday.

Kinne played well throughout the preseason, but he needed Matt Barkley to falter to have a chance at the third quarterback spot, and Barkley played well enough to secure the No. 3 job behind Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez.

Kinne finished the preseason by going 3-for-3 for 39 yards in the preseason finale against the Jets, with a 21-yard touchdown pass to Trey Burton. He also had 15 rushing yards on three carries.

In limited action this preseason, the athletic, mobile Kinne completed 12 of 14 passes for 135 yards with one TD, no interceptions and a 130.7 passer rating.

Kinne, an undrafted free agent from Tulsa, spent the second half of last year on the Eagles' practice squad and retains practice squad eligibility.

He also had a brief stint in camp with the Jets in 2012 and played for the Omaha Nighthawks of the UFL and the San Antonio Talons of the Arena League after graduating from Tulsa in 2011.

At Tulsa, one of Kinne’s favorite receivers was Damaris Johnson, and his quarterbacks coach was Press Taylor, now an offensive quality control coach under Chip Kelly.

Kinne is one of the greatest quarterbacks in Texas high school history. He ranks fifth in Texas history with 11,762 career passing yards and fourth with 133 career touchdowns.

Also Friday, the Eagles released reserve offensive lineman Josh Andrews, his agent tweeted.

Tags:

nfl, Philadelphia Eagles, G.J. Kinne, josh andrews, Chip Kelly, Reuben Frank

Control-F Henery

Phrase Not Found

Comment

@ZBerm
      reporting
      #Eagles
      will release Ifeanyi Momah. Not a surprise, but I think this year, they sign him to practice squad

Comment

This just in: The
        #Eagles
        are planning to waive Henry Josey, according to
        @caplannfl

Comment

They HAVE to bring Josey back to the practice squad if he is released (and no one else picks him up)!
          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Eagles placed Arrelious Benn on injured reserve, according to a source
            Retweeted by Sheil Kapadia

Comment

Originally posted by BowieBirdFan View Post
              Eagles placed Arrelious Benn on injured reserve, according to a source
              Retweeted by Sheil Kapadia
              Benn has spent a career there. What's this? 5 years now?
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                They HAVE to bring Josey back to the practice squad if he is released (and no one else picks him up)!
                He's getting picked up by someone- my guess is Dallas.

Comment

I thought Josey played well enough to make the roster. I liked the way he ran.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
                    Me as well! If they cut him and keep Damaris Johnson, I'll be displeased. I too doubt Josey will be available for the PS.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
                      Yeah. I have no idea about his blocking, etc., which could be important for those RBs. I definitely hope he's on the practice squad and maybe we can see what he could do against better competition.

Comment

Travis Long tore his ACL. So... that opens up a LB roster spot. I wonder if they were going to use him to back up both OLB and ILB and now they won't be able to.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/s...e-his-ACL.html

Comment

Travis Long's injury sucks. Not only do we lose Long, who showed some promise, but we get to keep Casey Matthews on the roster for another year.
                          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Jimmy Kempski reporting (based on various sources) Josey and Pratt as additional cuts. Also reporting Parkey, Burton and (possibly) Polk safe.

And possibly as a result of the Travis Long ACL tear, Acho will be cut and guess who gets another year on the roster? (Drum roll!)

That's right!!! This future HOLosers shoe in...

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                              Travis Long's injury sucks. Not only do we lose Long, who showed some promise, but we get to keep Casey Matthews on the roster for another year.
                              Provided they use him like last year, and not like Juan Castillo did, that should be OK. He is good on special teams. Only issue is if was keeping someone better off the roster. It was probably between him and Acho... and I think Acho was probably the better LB but Matthews better on special teams.

Still, as fans, it would be nice to not have reminders of the 2011 defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X