Depth Chart Assessment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depth Chart Assessment

Just curious now after the draft - where do you see our best depth and where do you see our areas of need? And admit it - it changed somewhat since draft day - didn't it?

Please discuss.

I think they are deep, loaded, and primed for a big season.

Honestly, I don't see any major depth concerns, at least for now. Would be nice to add a playmaking WIL backer. If Ingram can't go, they may need to find another TE. If Sheldon is traded, I will wonder about fourth corner.

I don't see that the draft, at least in terms of the rookies, has radically reshaped the look of the Eagle team going into next year. Certainly the trades for Peters and Hobbs and the addition of Andrews, Weaver, and Smith have changed the look of the depth chart.

But the rookies? Not so much. McCoy may slot in as Buckhalter's replacement, getting 5 carries a game or so. But maybe Weaver gets those touches.

Maybe Maclin can step right in as the X flanker, doing the old Pinkston role of being the deep threat. That's my big hope for Maclin this year, and it is something the Eagles really need.

Maybe Ingram is so impressive as a pass catcher that he has to see the field, even challenging Baskett. I could see Ingram morphing into a Colston type.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Linebacker and safety seem a little thin. I thought maybe we would have grabbed a few in the draft. Is Jordan definitely the long time starter? Dude had a rough game vs the Cards. Is Gocong the answer and do we have depth? Demps also had a rough game against the Cards. Is he or Jones ready to at least hold the fort that Dawk used to man?

O-Line could have issues based on health of some players. Andrews brothers? Gilles for depth? McGlynn?

Other than that.....we appear to be loaded.

Comment

QB - we're fine
        RB - adding McCoy & Weaver this off-season - fine
        WR - adding Maclin to the group - fine
        TE - adding Ingram to the group - pretty good
        OL - adding Andrews & Peters to a nice group of interior line depth makes this group particularly strong
        DL - While I'm fine with DT, I still have some concerns about DE. While I think we have depth, I'm not sold on the quality of the depth.
        LB - Same as my DE comment. I like our starters and Gaither is good but we don't have that up & coming difference maker in the fold. Tad bit concerned.
        CB - Solid, solid, solid. We're better off than we were last year. I think the addition of Hobbs as well as Hanson having another year and Jack Ikeg coming off a year in the program makes this group better than what we thought was our strength last year.
        S - Solid although currently unspectacular. We have depth but no playmaker as of now. I do think Demps could develop into that playmaker but it remains to be seen.

Special Teams - I think we're solid in terms of kicking and we have a ton of return game help especially with Maclin & Hobbs added to the group.

Comment

I'd still like us to add another good RB. Maybe Thigpen or Mendenhall from UDFA can step up.
          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
            I'd still like us to add another good RB. Maybe Thigpen or Mendenhall from UDFA can step up.
            That is my feeling as well. Westy is always hurt and who knows if McCoy will work out. I would love to see them add another RB.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
              QB - we're fine
              RB - adding McCoy & Weaver this off-season - fine
              WR - adding Maclin to the group - fine
              TE - adding Ingram to the group - pretty good
              OL - adding Andrews & Peters to a nice group of interior line depth makes this group particularly strong
              DL - While I'm fine with DT, I still have some concerns about DE. While I think we have depth, I'm not sold on the quality of the depth.
              LB - Same as my DE comment. I like our starters and Gaither is good but we don't have that up & coming difference maker in the fold. Tad bit concerned.
              CB - Solid, solid, solid. We're better off than we were last year. I think the addition of Hobbs as well as Hanson having another year and Jack Ikeg coming off a year in the program makes this group better than what we thought was our strength last year.
              S - Solid although currently unspectacular. We have depth but no playmaker as of now. I do think Demps could develop into that playmaker but it remains to be seen.

Special Teams - I think we're solid in terms of kicking and we have a ton of return game help especially with Maclin & Hobbs added to the group.
              Great post...I agree the areas of my concern are also DE & LB and I would add competition at K. Akers kicked back into gear mostly last season, but he is still getting old and bringing in a young boomer could help push him. Competition at P? Rocca had a pretty good year too, but I am not totally sold on him.

S I am not that worried with Mikell, Jones, Demps and then the option of trying Harris and/or Brown there. Jones was a ball hawk in Cleveland and Harris showed the same in college.
              Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

RB - need one more HB, but Macho can help in a pinch...if on team.
                WR - deepest position on team. I love this group.
                TE - still need someone better than Shoebel, but at least he knows the system.
                OL - Staters are studs and the backups are proven inside. We just need more from Dunlap and Justice.
                DL - I want one big DT
                LB - Depth, but I want an upgrade at WILL.
                CB - Best top four in football.
                S - I think Demps will be very good...and actually as good as Dawk last year. Mikell probably reached his peak, but it is at a high level. We have TWO proven backups and a tweener in Sheldon and Macho to help if needed. I'm OK with them.

Special Teams - Deep at return and gunner positions. Linbackers are experienced
                Pedro

Comment

Is Klecko still on this team...as a DT and backup FB?
                  Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                    Is Klecko still on this team...as a DT and backup FB?
                    Yes, back at DT
                    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Working...
                    X