Phils get Ben Revere for Worley and May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phils get Ben Revere for Worley and May

I know.....who? He's a weak hitting, great defensive CF who isn't even arbitration eligible yet. We better be signing a big corner OF bat with this acquisition, otherwise it makes absolutely no sense.

I will say the guy plays elite defense.

Comment

And he steals bases. Not many walks, but he's still 24 and his stats compare with similar guys at that age, like Bourn.

I'm relieved that RAJ didn't knuckle under to Manuel's public plea to sign Bourn. Getting double-teamed by Boras AND Manuel is not a fun place to be. Yet another reason why Manuel should have been shown the door this offseason in favor of Sandberg -- his MO is all about playing the veterans and signing guys like Bourn who can only set the franchise back.

Now they have some flexibility to make other moves. Revere is cost controlled for the next two years.

The other part of it is Worley and May isn't that high of a price. Worley is a fourth starter at best, easily replaceable. He is very much liked by Phillies fans, but he's not that good. Their love for Worley reminds me of their fondness for JA Happ.

May was formerly highly regarded and has good stuff. But he took a big step back this year, his control has not improved in the last few years and I think he's a future reliever. He's been passed in the pecking order by Biddle, Martin and Petitbone.
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Revere is cost controlled for more than that LT. He hasn't even hit arbitration. I get that he's young and his defense actually makes him a positive WAR player that actually equates him in value to either of the Uptons.

I hope they get a decent arm to fill out the rotation but they need a big bat in the worst of ways. At this point you have Ruf in LF, Revere in CF and now___________ in RF is the big issue (along w 3B and a setup guy).

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
          Revere is cost controlled for more than that LT. He hasn't even hit arbitration. I get that he's young and his defense actually makes him a positive WAR player that actually equates him in value to either of the Uptons.

I hope they get a decent arm to fill out the rotation but they need a big bat in the worst of ways. At this point you have Ruf in LF, Revere in CF and now___________ in RF is the big issue (along w 3B and a setup guy).

Agree. They need the big bat more than they needed Michael Bourn in CF. I hope they keep talking to the Twins about Willingham!

Zolecki just tweeted that the Phils are looking for a veteran to fill out the rotation with Worley gone. I'll bet they can get that guy more cheaply than one of these overpriced centerfielders who hit the open market this year.

Right on the cost control - i was just referring to the fact that he's not arbitration-eligible for two more years. That's real value.
          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

I like this move although Revere is basiclly "Bourne Lite" at this point. Very good in CF, ton of speed, zero pop at the plate. Plenty left over for Swisher to play RF or move on with Willingham. What I don't like hearing is that the Phils are close to signing Michael Young. At 36 the Rangers are just looking to dump him to play Olt. Last year Young hit .235 & was lousy at 3b. At this point he's worse than Polly. A Frandsen\Galvis platoon works better but a Big Bat in the OF is sorely needed. BTW, Yanks offered Youk a 1yr $12mil deal. Adios Youk unless Rube offers a 2-3 yr deal.
            Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Personally I like this move.

Low cost, controllable and he is getting better plate numbers each year.

This kid could be a an everyday player for the next 10 years.

Comment

Twins fans like Revere and feel he has growth potential; they're not happy about losing him but they need pitching in the worse way. I would rather have seen Willingham and that could happen I guess but it will surprise me. I'm good with Revere but the Phils are going to need to really play baseball if they don't get a hitter
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

I have a positive vibe about this deal. If Kendrick repeats the second half of last year, we won't miss Worley very long.

I'd prefer to see them get a big time upgrade at RF and let Frandsen play third. I'm not sold on Young. If the rumor is true, and the Rangers pay most of his salary, then I can see them taking a flyer on him.

I miss hockey.
                  www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by saratoga View Post
                    I have a positive vibe about this deal. If Kendrick repeats the second half of last year, we won't miss Worley very long.

I'd prefer to see them get a big time upgrade at RF and let Frandsen play third. I'm not sold on Young. If the rumor is true, and the Rangers pay most of his salary, then I can see them taking a flyer on him.

I miss hockey.
                    we got so little from 3rd the past 2 seasons, if Young plays like last year we've taken a small step forward offensively.Polanco played a great 3rd but couldn't stay on the field,Frandson was up and down defensively so I'm saying it's a toss up. The key to next season will be a return to norm by Lee and Halladay, add in any type of bullpen success and we should be improved quite a bit. I'm interested to see the projected batting order.

my lineup
                    1)Revere
                    2)Utley(could help Revere steal %)
                    3)Young
                    4)Howard
                    5)Ruf
                    6)Brown/Cody Ross(would be a great addition IMO)
                    7)Rollins
                    Ruiz
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                    X