X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Catalyst For Mills' Switch To Safety/Hybrid

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...-safety-corner

EXCERPT:

If you’re wondering how Jalen Mills will fare in his new hybrid defensive back role with the Eagles, he says to look back at the Patriots game last season.

Because in that game Jim Schwartz used Mills all over the field, as a corner, nickel corner, dime linebacker and more. The Eagles lost 17-10, but Mills and the Eagles’ defense played very well.

n that 17-10 loss to the Patriots on Nov. 17, Mills played all 74 snaps. It was the only game all season in which he played every snap. He had four tackles and a pass breakup. Overall, he played well.
    Take a look at how those 74 snaps broke down by position. According to ProFootballFocus, this shows how the Eagles used his versatility in that game:

Left corner: 43 (58%)
    Slot corner: 13 (18%)
    In the box: 13 (18%)
    At the line: 4 (5%)
    Free safety: 1 (1%)

This was the first time in Mills’ career that he played 10-plus snaps at three different positions. And he wasn’t just playing there, he was good.

Now, it’s also fair to realize that the Eagles put this in their game plan for a week against the Patriots and the Patriots didn’t have a chance to prepare for it. In 2020, opposing teams will be able to game plan knowing about Mills’ hybrid role.

And just because Mills played well for one game in this type of role, it doesn’t mean he’ll succeed over the course of a 16-game season. But at least the Eagles and Mill shave some sort of idea about how it’ll work. And that’s better than nothing.

I think that Mills is up for it. The only problem that he has ever had were getting beatdeep. I think that he' a gamer.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I'm optimistic as well.

Comment

Ya, I like Mills’ aggressiveness. He just doesn’t run well enough to be a great corner. Maybe a better fit at safety. Not sure why they wouldn’t try Douglas in that role also.
        Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
        Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by flyered View Post
          Ya, I like Mills’ aggressiveness. He just doesn’t run well enough to be a great corner. Maybe a better fit at safety. Not sure why they wouldn’t try Douglas in that role also.

This mystifies me as well. He seems like a natural fit at safety, at least in this amateur GM's eyes!

Comment

Working...
          X