This Team Is Junk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Team Is Junk

This team is really, really bad. They'll win about 35 games next year if everyone stays healthy, if not, lookout.

The culture of the team hasn't changed because of four factors:

1. Billy King is still the GM and hasn't done anything of note in the offseason other than lump us with another awful contract in Willie Green.

2. Mo Cheeks is not a head coach. He's a good assistant, but he's too nice of a guy and too tolerant of bad behavior.

3. Iverson and Webber are still on the team and both are greedy cancers.

4. Ed Snider still is calling the shots and he's clearly gone senile.

Just had to get that rant out of my system.

i agree that this team is not the most competitive and with much of what you say.

but i disagree that iverson is a cancer. of course he has his problems (as do most nba superstars these days), but he still lays it all out on the court every single game. TO is a cancer and i wouldn't compare TO to iverson.

either way, it's nice to read your bubbly optimism once again.

Comment

Originally posted by betty
      i agree that this team is not the most competitive and with much of what you say.

but i disagree that iverson is a cancer. of course he has his problems (as do most nba superstars these days), but he still lays it all out on the court every single game. TO is a cancer and i wouldn't compare TO to iverson.

either way, it's nice to read your bubbly optimism once again.
      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Betty, I wish I could be optimistic about this team. I've been a Sixers fan since 79, when I went to a Sunday afternoon Sonics-Sixers tilt that was on CBS.

AI may lay it out on the court, can't argue about that, but he controls the entire offense with his needs to get 25 shots a game. I'm afraid he'll always be known for his incredable individual skills and lack of team success. Of course the management has a lot of blame because they never got him a legit second stud to play with, but part of me wonders if all the GM's over the years knew that there would be a co-existance problem if they did get someone of similar talent.

The biggest issue I have with the entire or-gan-i-za-shun is the claim that the culture was going to change, but it's pretty clear to me that there is no way that has happened. Actions, not words, are the mantra of my life, and quite frankly, the Sixers are all about words and very little about actions. They simply aren't prepared to take a few steps back in order to take a few steps forward down the line.

And the #1 pick might be lost if we finish in the top 15, and the draft next year is very strong and could help us out a lot. We fans are just being led along by the nose with broken promises and empty words.

Tell me why I should be optimistic? We have some nice small forwards, a good 6th man/shooter, a ball hog for a star, an aging and injured presence at power fo'ward, and an underwhelming center. Ughhh...

Comment

39-43 12th overall pick and 2007 offseason is how we can unload Webber in the last year of his deal for Kenyon Martin and Nene.
          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
          Playoff Appearances:
          NFC Title Games:
          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

The team obviously doesn't work with AI or anyone else but to call AI a cancer is just wrong. The guy gives so much to the team. Would you rather have Derrick Coleman back or perhaps someone like Sprewell?

Comment

What exactly does AI give to the team? I'm always curious about this statement. He gives you little leadership, but his individual skills are amazing. He doesn't practice hard (or much from what it seems), and is the only constant despite how many coaches since 1996?

He's not in the DC/TO level of cancer, but he's malignant none the less.

Comment

i wasn't telling you to be optimistic, ski, i was simply yanking your chain. however, you must admit that whenever you talk about the sixers, it is all doom and gloom.

here are things to be positive about:

1. iverson. i actually hoped they would trade him and start rebuilding, but since he's back, i'll be happy to watch him on the court. he's still, without a doubt, a top 10 player in the league. like i said, he has his problems, but it is hardly his fault the team has not been very competitive the last few years. the teams the sixers have thrown out there have been awful. iverson doesn't need a second star, he needs a very strong supportive cast, something he hasn't had since the finals run (and i still question the talent on that finals team -- i just think the stars were aligned for that run). he had his best stats of his career last year and i expect more of the same this coming season.

2. rodney carney. i think this kid is going to be very, very good. i think he's a better version of iguodala -- just as athletic and a terrific defender, but he actually has 3 point range and is not afraid to shoot the ball.

3. iguodala. i think he really comes into his own this year. if carney starts at the 3, they will make a nice tandem -- very athletic and great defenders.

4. athleticism. with carney hopefully taking over the 3, the sixers will be, with the exception of webber, super athletic and will be able to run up and down the court with the best of the nba. they will be fun to watch.

5. shavlik randolph. everyone will laugh at me for this one, but i think he is going to surprise a lot of people this season. in his limited time, he showed that he has a very high bb IQ and great fundementals, but he was very wet behind the ears last season. i think as the season progresses, he will get more and more time and show he is probably the best power forward on the team (which ain't saying much).

and then there is the reason to be hopeful:

dalambert. all the raw talent in the world, but none of the brains. i really think he is the key to the sixers success or failure. if he gets his head screwed on properly and lives up to his potential, then he can be an excellent center and the sixers may be able to compete with anyone. i've seen moments of brilliance from him, so i know it's there.

Comment

Dalembert drives me nuts. It's the moments of brilliance that make everyone think he'll get better but he doesn't ever get any better. Dalembert might be dumber than Vince Young.

Comment

Betty

I'll fully admit that I am fairly pessimistic about the Sixers, but since Brown left, what is one supposed to feel positive about?

King has given out terrible contract after terrible contract. The head coaching position is a merry go round. King has traded for a broken former star in Webber who is untradeable.

I said that the Sixers have some talent at small forward. I don't think they are that athletic outside of the 3 spot. Sam I Am is the Nuke LaLoosh of the NBA...maybe he'll figure it out...

Shav Randolph? Come on.

Comment

Imagine this roster instead our current one.....

PG: AI, Louis Williams
                      SG: Igudala, Willie Green
                      SF: Carney, Korver
                      PF: Kenny Thomas, Corlis Williamson
                      C: Dalembert, Skinner

God damn Billy King and that Webber trade.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
                        Imagine this roster instead our current one.....

PG: AI, Louis Williams
                        SG: Igudala, Willie Green
                        SF: Carney, Korver
                        PF: Kenny Thomas, Corlis Williamson
                        C: Dalembert, Skinner

God damn Billy King and that Webber trade.
                        skinner is a much better back-up than hunter, but other than that, i don't think the team you listed is better. KT will give you a few tough rebounds and can be an ok defender, but he is too short for PF's and not athletic enough for SF's. webber is a much better passer and can still score in bunches every once in a while. plus, KT's contract will be on the books much longer. the problem was not trading KT, but BK giving KT an overpriced contract until KT turns 50 years old.

Comment

But having KT in there instead of makes everyone on the team athletic; it's a team that could really run the court

For teams with big front courts you could throw Skinner or Hunter in for some minutes at PF. And it's not like Webber is giving you much at the defensive end. KT is a good rebounder and can also score in bunches if given the ball; he just doesn't demand it like Webber.

Comment

AI would make a great street baller where it's all about how good you look and how good the 1 on 1 stats are.

Iverson is a big part of this teams problems. Along with BK and along with Snider. The longer Iverson is here the longer it will take this team to rebuild.

That's why I don't care where he gets traded. AI will NEVER play nice with any other star so I'm not worried about him leading any other team to a title. The guy gives 110% every time he is on the floor. I will never question his heart but his leadership skills suck.

Like LG I am very pessimistic about this team. I have seen enough of Iverson to know that things as they are will not get any better until he is gone and Webber is off the books. Keeping them both right now only makes our chances of being near .500 better. Which in the long run doesn't help the Sixers at all.
                            FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

This thread should be bumped for history. Because no matter what BK does or doesn't do his team will be junk.
                              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                              Playoff Appearances:
                              NFC Title Games:
                              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Working...
                              X