Teams already calling about Asante Samuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7/31/11 Evening update...

Steve Reed of the Gaston Gazette isn't buying a report that the Panthers could trade for Asante Samuel.

"Not happening," says Reed. "Too costly." The original report from the Charlotte Observer conceded that Samuel would have to restructure his contract, "a scenario that probably would kill any chances at a deal." Beat writers aren't sure how much cap space the Panthers have left after committing more than $272 million to a handful of players in the past week.

Comment

Oof, didn't Carolina have tons of cap space? And they spent it all? In order to pay Jon Beason almost as much as Asomugha, and more than Samuel?

Comment

Man I like the sound of this. I really would like to see what would happen if they played a full season with all 3 of these guys on the field almost all the time.
        http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...les073111.html

Why keeping Asante makes sense

During Sunday morning's practice, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Joselio Hanson continued to line up as the team's starting cornerbacks.
        The Eagles' offseason began with right corner as their biggest hole, but after acquiring Rodgers-Cromartie and signing Nnamdi Asomugha, the question that hangs over the defense now is: Will the Eagles keep all three cornerbacks, or is Asante Samuel headed out of town?

I've heard some people poking holes in Samuel's game recently, and while he isn't the most sound tackler or the most physical player, by most measures, he turned in a career year in 2010.

I've mentioned the numbers before, but Samuel allowed just 3.2 yards per pass on 36 targets, according to Football Outsiders. That was tops in the league - better than Darrelle Revis (5.6) and better than Asmougha (5.9). Samuel also had seven interceptions. Consider that for a moment. He created a turnover once every 5.14 times teams threw at him. If Rodgers-Cromartie would have had that ratio, he would have had nearly 20 interceptions in 2010.

Sure, it helped Samuel that teams threw away from him, considering Ellis Hobbs and Dimitri Patterson were manning the other side. But when teams threw his way, Samuel made them pay. According to Pro Football Focus, opposing QBs had a 31.7 rating when throwing at Samuel. That too was the best mark in the league.

Samuel is 30 years old and scheduled to make the following base salaries the next three seasons: $5.9M in 2011, $8.4M in 2012, and $10.4M in 2013. Johnathan Joseph, 27, just got a five-year, $48.75M deal from the Texans with $23.5M guaranteed. And Asomugha, 30, got a five-year, $60M deal with $25M guaranteed. Maybe Samuel's contract won't look so good in 2013, but I'm not sure it's such a problem for 2011, considering how well he played last year.

Which brings us to trade talks. Jeff McLane of the Inquirer caught up with Samuel's agent, Alonzo Shavers, who said his client does not want to be traded, but according to the article, the Eagles are already fielding calls and could deal the cornerback if a "great" offer came along. A league source told Joe Person of The Charlotte Observer that the Panthers could be interested.

By now, you probably know my take. I think there's great value in keeping Samuel and teaming him with Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie.
        A few items to consider:

* The Eagles had to cover three or more receivers 47 percent of the time in 2010, per Football Outsiders.

* Teams like the Packers played offensively with three or more receivers 60 percent of the time.

* Samuel missed four games last year. Asomugha missed two.
        In other words, let's say the Eagles made Rodgers-Cromartie the nickel corner. He's still going to be on the field quite a bit.

Greg Cosell of NFL Films had a very interesting Tweet yesterday:
        Eagles looking to play like Colts of few yrs ago. Get ahead early, force opposing offense to play from behind, play nickel + dime + rush QB.
        That makes a lot of sense to me. And it puts their offseason moves into context - not only with adding Rodgers-Cromartie and Asomugha, but with signing Cullen Jenkins and Jason Babin as proven pass rushers.

Play more nickel. Let teams run the ball a little bit. Only keep a couple linebackers on the field. The Eagles have the personnel to do that right now, without making any additional roster moves.

There are only two ways I consider dealing Samuel. One is for financial purposes. If moving him is the easiest way to free up money and extend DeSean Jackson and Michael Vick, then it might make sense. But Joe Banner doesn't seem too worried about the team's cap situation, so maybe the Eagles could get something done with Jackson and Vick anyway.

Number two: If trading Samuel lands them a legitimate right tackle in return.

The more I think about it, the more I believe right tackle is now the biggest concern on this team.

Given all the moves they've made, I don't see how the Eagles can be comfortable with either King Dunlap or a less-than-healthy Winston Justice protecting Vick'sblind side. It just doesn't add up - not after they've said they're "all in" and have made moves to back up that notion. Dunlap has been playing right tackle with the first team at Lehigh, and Justice is on the PUP list so far.

If they don't add a new right tackle, maybe the Eagles move Todd Herremans over there and plug newly acquired Evan Mathis or Mike McGlynn in at guard. But with each passing day, it becomes more apparent that this is something which needs to be addressed.

I've heard suggestions that the Eagles should target a middle linebacker in exchange for Samuel, but given the way they've viewed the linebacker position in recent years, I'm not sure that makes sense. My guess is any LB they'd consider would have to be young, proven and relatively cheap. Not an easy combination to find.

We still don't know what the Eagles will do with Samuel, but for now, everyone is saying the right things. Samuel's camp says he doesn't want to be traded. Rodgers-Cromartie says he can be the nickel corner. And Asomugha today called the Eagles' situation "very workable."

I'm sure Howie Roseman and company are fielding calls, as reported, but unless the right deal comes along, holding on to Samuel makes the most sense.

Comment

Perfect. Let's hope they mean it, and do it. Would LOVE LOVE LOVE all of them on the field at the same time. (It would also seriously lessen the impact of our inexperienced LB's and Safeties.)

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...tion#storyjump

Juan Castillo Addresses Three Corner Situation

For some reason, which I can't fully grasp, the big question around Eagles camp has how on earth they can possibly play all three pro bowl corners at once. Juan Castillo's idea of how to solve that problem appears to be just play them.
          "Here's the thing, you know that the nickel defensive back is really a starter in the NFL. The way people play, there are some teams that don't even play regular personnel. There are some people like the Colts that play the two tight ends, two wideouts, and one back, and that extra tight end is a receiver. You're playing that nickel the whole game. You know what, no, we have three starters. You need three starters. That's a great deal, we're excited."
          Juan pointed out that the Packers played three corners all the time.
          " I think they [Packers] set a trend for people not to be scared to do that. It's no different than sometimes having to play three wideouts with your base personnel versus people that you don't know how their subbing.
          The Packers utilized Charles Woodson as part of that package in an interesting way. He would blitz sometimes, play the slot guy and generally move around the formation. Juan says that Nnamdi Asoumgha floated the idea of him playing that role in this defense.
          "He [Asomugha] and I rode in the car together to practice yesterday, and he was the one who mentioned the kind of job that Rod Woodson did, and that he would be excited about a role like that if it went that way."
          So do we see Nnamdi in the slot when the team plays nickel?
          I think [CB] Nnamdi [Asomugha] is a special guy. He wants to make plays. I think he respects Rod Woodson. I think he would love that role, being able to blitz; a big tall guy like that coming off the edge, and then all of the sudden in press coverage on the slot guy. Sometimes if he is going to match, the slot guy may be the guy inside anyway. It's exciting."
          It is exciting and frankly Nnamdi has all the physical tools to play that role extremely well. However, if it comes down to it, he really should be glued to whoever the other teams' top wideout happens to be. The really interesting thing here is that Juan mentions that sometimes he "is going to match," which could be a sign that the frustrating policy of the JJ defense to not shadow the other teams' best WR with your best corner is a thing of the past.

Comment

I've felt they should and could play three corners for a couple of years. That is why I liked having a quality nickle guy (although not a superstar) since the days of Al Harris, R Hood, and lately J Hanson. Now I would rather see them trade Hanson, who I think has some value, and keep Lindley, Marsh with the big three.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
              I've felt they should and could play three corners for a couple of years. That is why I liked having a quality nickle guy (although not a superstar) since the days of Al Harris, R Hood, and lately J Hanson. Now I would rather see them trade Hanson, who I think has some value, and keep Lindley, Marsh with the big three.
              Hanson has a rediculous contract doesn't he? I think that he just gets cut.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I think a 3 CB set is almost a necessity. More and more teams have starter quality WR depth and they are using 3 WR sets far more often than they have in the past. Dallas has, Austin, Bryant and last year started Roy Williams. Not sure who they plan to use as his replacement but with Witten caught balls for over 1,000 yards last year himself. That's a lot of receivers.

The Giants are pretty much in the same boat with Manningham, Hixon and Nicks. They also added Devon Thomas late last year and he was highly rated in the 2008 (?) draft but has always under achieved. If they get him motivated he has good size (6'-2") and decent speed to do some damage.

The Redskins are inconsequential since they lack a QB to even deliver the ball to anyone they put out there. Seriously their QB situation is so bad the fans should be storming Snyder's mansion with torches and pitchforks. Thank God for Danny-Boy... I truly love that guy!!!
                Last edited by Jukin; 08-02-2011, 09:23 AM.
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

If you have been listening to the coaching pressers, it is clear that the GB Packers are the model and motive for a lot of what we are doing right now. No reason to expect them to dump Asante.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

This really is a good point...Listen to offers in the short term, but sooner rather than later they should trade him or flat-out cut off the "we'll listen to offers" talk and make it clear Asante is NOT being traded.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...-quote-of-camp

Asante Samuel Gives Us The Most Memorable Quote Of Camp

The most memorable quote isn't always the best as evidenced by what Asante Samuel had to say yesterday as he spoke to reporters after practice.
                    "If they’re tired of my big-playmaking ability, maybe they’ll ship me out," Samuel said. "Maybe they’ll keep me. I don’t know. Who knows."
                    Samuel reported to camp on Monday, just days after the Eagles acquired both Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. That has led to speculation that the Eagles might deal Samuel, despite their claim that they're happy to have three all pro corners.

"I want to be where I’m wanted," Samuel said. "If I’m wanted here, [I want to be] here. If I’m not appreciated here, then life goes on. I move on."

Samuel said that it's "50-50" as to whether he thinks the Eagles do want him. It's an odd situation because seeing Asante on the practice field yesterday, it's clear that he likes being here and on this team. As always he was the loudest and biggest trash talker on the field. He also had nothing but good things to say about Asomugha and spent a good portion of camp standing and talking with Cromartie.

He simply doesn't like the speculation and frankly that's understandable. But, I get the impression that if he's here then it's not going to be a big deal. Now, we know the Eagles are getting calls about him and obviously they are going to listen. However, I would think it would be wise to not let that go on too long. If they decide not to trade him, they should make that clear and hopefully that's something that happens sooner rather than later. If he's gone, he's gone. But if he's going to be here, I think he'd perfectly happy with that, but they should make it clear.

Comment

"The connection is obvious because Sean McDermott, new Panthers defensive coordinator, held the same role in Philly last year. McDermott has been collecting former Eagles, including LB Omar Gaither and S Sean Considine. "

* Oh how I feel so badly for Panther fans. They may give up 45 points per game.
                      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                      Playoff Appearances:
                      NFC Title Games:
                      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I went to UNC Charlotte and still have a lot of friends down thee. They are seriously depressed about the team. Whenever talk of the NFL comes up they all seem to go into a funk and become silent. I really feel badly for them ... then I remember the way they tossed Pinkston around and ended our playoff run and I think - F'em!!
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

True true.
                          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                          Playoff Appearances:
                          NFC Title Games:
                          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Les Bowen is reporting that Asante Samuel has been extremely chipper the lately compared to a few days ago.

I was at camp yesterday, and I also noticed that he was EXTREMELY smiley and chatty and energetic...just as I remember him at past camps.

Comment

Working...
                            X